VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the OEM LED headlights from the SEL model can be retrofitted into the lower trims? I've done this before with my older mk6 jetta wagon and OEM HIDs but I was able to install them and code them to work. I'm just wondering if it can be done with coding but no need to upgrade the ECU?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Its possible but not that simple. High level overview:
you need suspension level sensor, headlight ECU, rewire few things and lastly code it up with VCDS (if all modules are used and coming from Tiguan).
If you just care about looks then go for aftermarket replicas, they are plug and play. Its been disucussed on this forum quite a lot.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its possible but not that simple. High level overview:
you need suspension level sensor, headlight ECU, rewire few things and lastly code it up with VCDS (if all modules are used and coming from Tiguan).
If you just care about looks then go for aftermarket replicas, they are plug and play. Its been disucussed on this forum quite a lot.
Thanks for the quick response. I know the headache in retrofitting these OEMs into a non highline model so I will have to think it thoroughly. I would need the housings, BCM and ECU plus the harness.. VW always lets me down with the poor headlights :(

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I know the headache in retrofitting these OEMs into a non highline model so I will have to think it thoroughly. I would need the housings, BCM and ECU plus the harness.. VW always lets me down with the poor headlights :(
Plus 14pin connectors to repin your 10 pin connectors. Or make an adpater from 10 pint to 14 pin. If you are just going for looks and want little light output improvements then aftermarket replicas is easier option.
And yes, VW has always saved money on they headlights. Competitors would usually always have HID at the same price point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts