VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've only seen one of these since they were released, and maybe 2 or 3 Supras. Just an anecdote, but my perception is that they are not selling.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
I've only seen one of these since they were released, and maybe 2 or 3 Supras. Just an anecdote, but my perception is that they are not selling.
There's one in my neighborhood and I find it very ugly. Shame after a long line of attractive roadsters from BMW.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Supra vs Z4 sales for 2020

Supra
January: 342
February: 398
March: 273
YTD: 1,013

Z4
January: 203
February: 263
March: 159
YTD: 625

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Does the Z4 (top up obviously) suffer from the same ridiculously low headroom entry height that the Supra does? Not sure what the technical term is, the problem where you basically have to put chin to scrotum to avoid bashing your head when you get in/out.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
Does the Z4 (top up obviously) suffer from the same ridiculously low headroom entry height that the Supra does? Not sure what the technical term is, the problem where you basically have to put chin to scrotum to avoid bashing your head when you get in/out.
I don't know, but I sat in one with the top down at one of the BMW driving experience events. Somehow, even with the top down, I felt like I was in a tank with slit windows due to how high the door sills come up. It took me about 30 seconds in the car to give up and accept I'd never be comfortable in it.

Given the choice Supra > Z4. The only purpose of the Z4 now is status symbol. Its over priced and does nothing better, not even sure as good, as other offerings from BMW at the same cost or less.

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,093 Posts
Shame this isn't selling better. I actually really like the looks. I'd probably get one over the Supra if I were in the market.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,607 Posts
Didn't realize it was using a torque-converter automatic. Almost feels as though they are trying to turn it into more of a "GT" convertible than what the Z3 or early Z4 was.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
Shame this isn't selling better. I actually really like the looks. I'd probably get one over the Supra if I were in the market.
They went with a dumb ragtop.

That was the dumbest decision ever made and will probably bury this thing.

I'm a long-time convertible owner and I'll NEVER buy a ragtop again as long as there's one hardtop remaining somewhere.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,607 Posts

I'm a long-time convertible owner and I'll NEVER buy a ragtop again as long as there's one hardtop remaining somewhere.
:thumbup::driver:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Yeah, agreed. A retractable hardtop is eleventy billion times better than dealing with a sh!tty soft top that leaks, creases, gets filthy, and has to eventually be replaced. Nobody's driving these kinds of cars at ten tents into crubs and burshes and fents after C&C, so who cares if the retractable hardtop is heavier? It's a lot more solid and a lot easier to deal with. The new SL Mercedes is going to be a soft top too? Why? It's a GT through and through.

·
Registered
21,756 Posts
Yeah, agreed. A retractable hardtop is eleventy billion times better than dealing with a sh!tty soft top that leaks, creases, gets filthy, and has to eventually be replaced. Nobody's driving these kinds of cars at ten tents into crubs and burshes and fents after C&C, so who cares if the retractable hardtop is heavier? It's a lot more solid and a lot easier to deal with. The new SL Mercedes is going to be a soft top too? Why? It's a GT through and through.
Soft tops weigh less, take up less space, and don't cost the manufacturer a fortune in warranty costs. Not to mention modern softtops are pretty good. Easy choice I think.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,135 Posts
Soft tops weigh less, take up less space, and don't cost the manufacturer a fortune in warranty costs. Not to mention modern softtops are pretty good. Easy choice I think.
Indeed; both tops have their advantages. The room is a big one; our E88 has reasonable trunk room whereas the much bigger hard top E93 just doesn't. I also think the soft top looks much cleaner and that most hardtops--especially cabriolets--end up awkward and unresolved.

Conversely, the soft top is louder, the fabric needs to be maintained and has a lifetime, and we feel the need to be careful where we park to avoid a slash and grab.

I know the soft top is lighter; that one I'm not sure we notice too much, TBH our E88 is a porker regardless.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
I just can't get over the price point this thing is at. There are two relatively well optioned ones in my garage at work, they look sleek. A neighbor has one in triple black and it looks down right mean. But for the prices these command, I can't really imagine choosing one over a Boxster/Cayman.

As for the Misano Blue one above, have you seen this color in person? It's amazing. There is an M5 that must live somewhere near me because I see it on a weekly basis. He must have done an individual order because it is in Misano blue...I want that car. It just looks sooo right on the M5.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts