VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is my second new car purchase in two years, and both times, I have had weird issues right out of the gate.

This time, I bought the '19 Jetta SEL Premium on a Saturday. By the time I got the car home, 20 minutes from the dealer, my phone had a couple of missed calls and voice mails on it. The dealer wanted me to bring the car back, as they believed it had a leak. So, after all of 20 minutes of ownership, I was on my way back to the dealer to leave the car with them for a few days. Turns out, it was a transmission oil leak. They noticed it on their show room floor (having driven it inside for me to look over). I also noticed it on my garage floor. Got the car back a few days later, and was told that after they cleaned up the fluid on the bottom of the car, there was no more leaking of any kind. They could not reproduce it. It was believed to have been some sort of burp from the fill tube, as these are totally sealed transmissions. I've been driving the car around now for a couple of weeks, and I really like it, especially the 8 speed gearbox. I know the auto mags all say it has a torque converter, but I'm not convinced, as it feels like a dual clutch to me, which I really prefer to a regular auto, when done right. (Ford Focus does NOT know how to set up and tune a DCT, just FYI). VW corporate got involved, and wanted me to bring the car back, so they could inspect it. Found nothing. I'm convinced all is well. However, VW corp wants to send my transmission back to Germany to be dissected, with my permission of course. I finally agreed, so they will be doing a transmission swap after the new parts arrive. Apparently, there were a handful of other identical incidents across the country, and they wanted to send a specimen back to Germany for examination.

Summary, look for evidence of transmission fluid leaks in your garages or driveways! Otherwise, this car is fantastic, I really love it! I wish they had rolled out the remote start and heated steering wheel options with the first batch, but oh well, I knew what I was missing when I made the purchase. I'll just trade it in later in the year for another '19 with those options, or for the GLI when it comes out.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I can't remember, is the new 8-speed VW-designed, or is it designed by Aisin like Mk5 and Mk6 torque converter transmissions?

I'm fairly certain that your car wasn't accidentally equipped with a DSG. That transmission would have been sourced from somewhere else, so it's virtually impossible that it would have wound up in Puebla and bolted into a car it wasn't meant for. Also, I think 7 is the current ratio max for a DSG. That being said, VW Aisin-made autos have been praised for being lighting fast and nearly as good as the VW-made DSG unit, so it makes sense if you think it shifted that fast.

Kudos to VW for being thorough, but what a bummer that they dissected your car's tranny. Oh well. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
53,531 Posts
I can't remember, is the new 8-speed VW-designed, or is it designed by Aisin like Mk5 and Mk6 torque converter transmissions?

I'm fairly certain that your car wasn't accidentally equipped with a DSG. That transmission would have been sourced from somewhere else, so it's virtually impossible that it would have wound up in Puebla and bolted into a car it wasn't meant for. Also, I think 7 is the current ratio max for a DSG. That being said, VW Aisin-made autos have been praised for being lighting fast and nearly as good as the VW-made DSG unit, so it makes sense if you think it shifted that fast.

Kudos to VW for being thorough, but what a bummer that they dissected your car's tranny. Oh well. Better safe than sorry.....
VW buys all their transmissions, just like every other maker.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts

Kudos to VW for being thorough, but what a bummer that they dissected your car's tranny. Oh well. Better safe than sorry.

It is Aisin

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

There were some basic break down diagrams on Aisin's website, and I swear on at least a couple of their models, the "torque converter" appears to be comprised of a clutch pack assembly, and not a standard fluid coupling. Maybe not a "dual clutch" per se, but a multi clutch, auto shifting manual, nonetheless. They can call it an auto if it makes them feel better. I happen to like it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There were some basic break down diagrams on Aisin's website, and I swear on at least a couple of their models, the "torque converter" appears to be comprised of a clutch pack assembly, and not a standard fluid coupling. Maybe not a "dual clutch" per se, but a multi clutch, auto shifting manual, nonetheless. They can call it an auto if it makes them feel better. I happen to like it.
This is the best IMG I could find. If this is in fact the transmission installed in the Jetta then it's definitely fluid coupled. (see stator)

EDIT: IMG from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35

·
Registered
110 Posts
http://www.aw-europe.be/products/at-lineup-fwd

As you can see, the image linked below says "Dual Clutch", and is taken directly from Aisin's Europe site above....

http://www.comfactory.be/awepreview/v00/imgs/at/img_at02_02.jpg
That's not the same as a "dual clutch" transmission which refers to the transfer of power from the engine to the transmission via two separate mechanisms (clutches). In the context of the posted photo, the dual-clutch mechanism is not in the TC or directly related to the transfer of power. Instead, it is pointing to a clutch-pack where it is likely only responsible for changing gears, which makes total sense because the intention of the image is to show how they packed 8 gears into a housing the same size as the 6 speed.

This wouldn't explain the grinding noise at low RPM which can be heard in every gear.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
This is the best IMG I could find. If this is in fact the transmission installed in the Jetta then it's definitely fluid coupled. (see stator)

EDIT: IMG from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35
It might be the AWF8G45 which is even newer. The highlights:

・Substantially reduced torque loss significantly improves fuel efficiency, and the expanded lock-up range offers driving with a direct feel
・Revising the geartrain structure and materials, and optimizing the shape, led to a lighter and more compact AT

·
Registered
110 Posts
It might be the AWF8G45 which is even newer. The highlights:

・Substantially reduced torque loss significantly improves fuel efficiency, and the expanded lock-up range offers driving with a direct feel
・Revising the geartrain structure and materials, and optimizing the shape, led to a lighter and more compact AT
Ok... that would make sense that this is the actual transmission (45) since no other car company is having these issues with the 35, however, it doesn't change the fact that it's a fluid coupled TC and it shouldn't be grinding.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Ok... that would make sense that this is the actual transmission (45) since no other car company is having these issues with the 35, however, it doesn't change the fact that it's a fluid coupled TC and it shouldn't be grinding.
I was getting more at the "Multi-Plate Torque Converter" with expanded lock up range. Maybe this change is causing the headache for you. Are they buying it back?

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
7,039 Posts

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
That's exactly the kind of answer I knew I'd get out of you. You've once again demonstrated that you don't know what you're talking about, and you're just here to troll.

This is required reading for you http://eng.kaps.cz/understanding-the-lock-up-clutch-news-978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5G2zQ_3xTc
Update:

Let me bring this back on track; Both transmission noise threads were deleted because nicholishen started attacking people in both threads- all because they did not agree with him that it was a "torque converter issue" and rather that it could just be a power matting issue ameliorated by using sport mode. Simply differing opinions.

Instead of blatant attacks, we should embrace differing opinions. I am hoping that we can productively discuss the noise of the new aisin transmission in this thread- regardless of what the noise actually is (TC, matting etc) so that if there is truly an issue, we can have a thread in which to document experiences and any subsequent service visits moving forward.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Lets Discuss the Trans Noise In Here Moving Forward

Update:

Let me bring this back on track; Both transmission noise threads were deleted because nicholishen started attacking people in both threads- all because they did not agree with him that it was a "torque converter issue" and rather that it could just be a power matting issue ameliorated by using sport mode. Simply differing opinions.

Instead of blatant attacks, we should embrace differing opinions. I am hoping that we can productively discuss the noise of the new aisin transmission in this thread- regardless of what the noise actually is (TC, matting etc) so that if there is truly an issue, we can have a thread in which to document experiences and any subsequent service visits moving forward.
bump

·
Registered
88 Posts
Update:

Do you feel the noise is normal or could there be a problem? For me, I do find this noise in drive mode to be irritating at times. Also, what about the noise that is present at 40+ when at a steady speed. It almost sounds like the 5th gear noise but is lower in tone. My biggest question would be why I did not have this noise until after I put on just over a hundred miles on the car. If I heard this during the test drive, I probably would not of bought the car.

Will do my best to post any updates to changes in the noise as I put more miles on the car. That is if threads on trans noise would stopped getting deleted.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Update:

Do you feel the noise is normal or could there be a problem? For me, I do find this noise in drive mode to be irritating at times. Also, what about the noise that is present at 40+ when at a steady speed. It almost sounds like the 5th gear noise but is lower in tone. My biggest question would be why I did not have this noise until after I put on just over a hundred miles on the car. If I heard this during the test drive, I probably would not of bought the car.

Will do my best to post any updates to changes in the noise as I put more miles on the car. That is if threads on trans noise would stopped getting deleted.
Same experience with the persistent grinding... My wife and I noticed it as soon as we were driving it home and hit a traffic jam on the interstate. I called our salesman to tell him something was wrong with it and it sounded like a car that had been sitting in a barn and had years of rust on the brake rotors. He basic told us that it was tough luck and to begin the repair proceed with the shop. We hadn't even owned the car for an hour and we already had serious buyers regret due the quality of the car. Soon after discovered a leak in the transmission and all in all had the car in our possession for less that a week during the first three weeks of ownership. Now the only solution is to crank up the mediocre beats radio to try and down out the sound.

If you're someone who's on the fence about buying a new Jetta, DON'T! You can always expect a few bugs in a new production car, but new Jetta built on the new platform is far from being ready for production. After knowing the issues and test driving at least nine different Jettas, IMHO, this car is a beta test level build at best. If you can wait until 2020 do it, and if you can't then buy from a different manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts