VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I took my Sportwagen in today for the 10K miles service and asked them to look at the dipping passenger exterior mirror. It has never worked so wanted them to look into it. They said that the SE doesn't have that feature. Is that correct, do any of you guys who have 2019 SE's have the working passenger side mirror dip when the vehicle is put into reverse? Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You would have to code that in. OBDeleven or VCDS.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Got it, thanks for the info. I figured with power adjustable mirrors it would be enabled from the factory. What am I thinking, it is a VW and common sense isn't so common :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mirror dipping in reverse is an interesting function, and you might find that even with coding it won't work beyond a slight and hardly useful dip. Some guys over at the rosstech forums and mk7 forums went into great detail about it. Hopefully you get yours to work/stick, but be prepared that it might not work, as not all door control modules / mirror motors / control units have the "memory" function that is required for the car to remember how far down you want it to go, and where to bring it back to afterwards.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mirror dipping in reverse is an interesting function, and you might find that even with coding it won't work beyond a slight and hardly useful dip. Some guys over at the rosstech forums and mk7 forums went into great detail about it. Hopefully you get yours to work/stick, but be prepared that it might not work, as not all door control modules / mirror motors / control units have the "memory" function that is required for the car to remember how far down you want it to go, and where to bring it back to afterwards.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I noticed that all the responses came from fellow Canadians. I'm originally from Toronto but living in Texas. It is not a big deal if the dip doesn't work, I've had the car for 15 months already but it would have been nice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would give it a try. I coded my 2016 Golf trendline and my 2019 GSW Highline with the obd eleven app and never had an issue. My 2016 is now at 180000kms and it always worked without a hitch.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would give it a try. I coded my 2016 Golf trendline and my 2019 GSW Highline with the obd eleven app and never had an issue. My 2016 is now at 180000kms and it always worked without a hitch.

I'll need to try find someone locally who has an OBD eleven as I obviously don't have one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly, I would buy one. Best $90cdn I ever spent. Deutsch Auto parts has them and they will ship to you direct.

Do you know if it would also work on a MB vehicle or is it only for a VW? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think the rear view camera does a good enough job that mirror dip was never needed for me.
I did replace the driver's side mirror with one that has the wide angle outer portion - much safer for freeway driving.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the rear view camera does a good enough job that mirror dip was never needed for me.
I did replace the driver's side mirror with one that has the wide angle outer portion - much safer for freeway driving.
I have a particular use case where the rear cam doesn't help me. I have two Greyhounds and I take them to the park daily, I like to pull up as close to the right curb as possible for them to easily jump in and out of my car as they are getting older. If I had the dipping mirror it would be much easier and I don't want to scrape my wheels.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a 2015 Sportwagen and have never heard of that feature. But it is the kind of feature I would not want on my vehicle. I have been driving VWs since 1972 and I won't get an automatic transmission or anything that is frivolous that might break in the future. A really really bad modern feature is adaptive cruise control. If a rock or ice chunk hits the sensor in the bumper it will cost you over $1500 to get your cruise control back (happened to my brother's Touareg).

·
Registered
326 Posts
I spent 45 years backing my VWs into every space I ever parked in, without a backup camera. Its not hard at all, but the backup camera in my 2015 Sportwagen does make it easier to know when to stop backing up. I have always followed your procedure to park right up against the curb to prevent door dings. Once you get used to it you can back up within an inch of the curb on first try,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts