VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Gang! Running into a little issue here, getting ready to do a coilover install on my 2020 GLI. I bought brand new OEM quality front strut bearings along with new OEM quality strut mounts from UroTuning. I have both bearing and mount aligned with one another with the tab cutouts but I cannot for the life of me get the bearing/mount pushed down enough onto the strut to start turning the nut to lock it down. Verified both fit for the GLI. The new bearing looks quite thick. Wondering if something is wrong here or do I need a spring compressor in order to get the mount on. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you on coilovers? Did you have to do that same if you did coilovers? Question now is will I have enough length to torque it down properly since I'm having to compress the spring to get the mounts on?
Also I've seen videos from DAP Auto where they're able to drop their bearing and mount onto their setup without a spring compressor. Whats the deal behind that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seen another post saying a guy installed coil overs and all kind of lights came on the dashboard. Any of you heard of this before? I've got the DCC cancellers, assuming i let the car go into sleep mode, don't unplug any speed sensors/abs or break them i should be fine without getting any dash lights correct?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Was able to get the new bearings and strut mounts on and torqued down...Need the help of another person to push down enough to compress the spring while i got a couple turns on the nut....Fronts are adjusted, locked and are ready to go in.

·
Registered
2017 GLI
279 Posts
Update: Was able to get the new bearings and strut mounts on and torqued down...Need the help of another person to push down enough to compress the spring while i got a couple turns on the nut....Fronts are adjusted, locked and are ready to go in.
Put a jack under your control arm?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just finished up the install. Everything went well using the 2x4 method. Only issue is I’m getting a clunking sound from the rear when I go over a bump. Everything is tightened up. Wondering if it’s the rear strut mounts, i reused the original ones. I’m thinking the strut tops aren’t tightened down enough. Will take a look again tomorrow. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts