VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just finished up the install. Everything went well using the 2x4 method. Only issue is I’m getting a clunking sound from the rear when I go over a bump. Everything is tightened up. Wondering if it’s the rear strut mounts, i reused the original ones. I’m thinking the strut tops aren’t tightened down enough. Will take a look again tomorrow. Any ideas?
Also, the rear shocks were shipped with two stainless steal spacers zip tied to the bottom of the shock that goes into the control arm. Am I supposed to be using those on each side of the strut before I bolt it into the control arm?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Also, the rear shocks were shipped with two stainless steal spacers zip tied to the bottom of the shock that goes into the control arm. Am I supposed to be using those on each side of the strut before I bolt it into the control arm?
That's correct and how about bump stop? Do you know all torque specs? In addition, you should use new stretch bolts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's correct and how about bump stop? Do you know all torque specs? In addition, you should use new stretch bolts.
Yeah I have the torque specs on a sheet saved in my phone. So those "washers" need to be used for the install then? I know I should use new bolts but the car just broke 2K so its practically brand new which is why I didn't think I needed new rear strut mounts and I could just reuse them. when you say bump stops, the shocks have new bump stops from H&R that we're on the struts already. Should I have reused the stops from the Original struts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Do you think this would cause that? Maybe without those washers there are a good amount of play? But, I would think once the nut/bolt is tightened up it would keep it all snug down there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Definitely, you need to install rear damper with 2 washers and bump stop is OK.
Okay I will once I get home from work, I think that's the issue, there's probably a good amount of play in there without them. Also, seen another thread where some was saying to break the nut for the swaybar end link (into the LCA) and re torque on the ground, apparently if its torqued on stands it incorrectly tensioned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sorted out the banging noise. I installed the rears without those washers. Took apart and reinstalled with washers. No noises at all! Springs are still settling but damn it looks good and handles like it’s on rails. Here’s a pic after. Needs to settle and car needs to be washed lol.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts