VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 1433 Posts

·
Registered
51,431 Posts
My Brother-in-law was a very early pre-order for an R1S, in no real hurry as he as a fairly new Mercedes SUV. His email yesterday stated "first half of 2023". He figures with the way things have been going they'll just bump him again either to late 2023 or 2024 even. First time this entire time he asked me "For Nearly 100k what other SUV would you get".

Point #2 they make made us both chuckle. He lives ~30 minutes from where these are built in central IL

Their point 2 makes total sense. Why sell to someone who is hours away from a service center? When they have a problem they are more likely to complain loudly on owners forums that they aren't being supported.

·
Registered
51,431 Posts
It does make sense, but shouldn’t apply for someone 30 minutes from the factory (as the poster stated).

Hell, I’m in Chicagoland and would think that gets me favorability, but seemingly doesn’t.
If they are pushing all R1S deliveries to 2023, we don't know whether the guy who lives 30 minutes from the factory is on the early list or not. Just because "he figures" he will get bumped again doesn't mean he will or won't. And I can't tell you whether they even have an actual service center where the vehicles are built either.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
If they are pushing all R1S deliveries to 2023, we don't know whether the guy who lives 30 minutes from the factory is on the early list or not. Just because "he figures" he will get bumped again doesn't mean he will or won't. And I can't tell you whether they even have an actual service center where the vehicles are built either.
Yes there is a service center at the factory.

They also have been touting to people with reservations that 'most' service can be completed via their Mobile Service option.

Edit: And when you've been bumped 4+ times, it starts to get a little old. Boy who cried wolf scenario. Their production report numbers purposely don't split out R1T vs. R1S Deliveries. If any R1S have been delivered, they were basically hand built.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Edit: And when you've been bumped 4+ times, it starts to get a little old. Boy who cried wolf scenario. Their production report numbers purposely don't split out R1T vs. R1S Deliveries. If any R1S have been delivered, they were basically hand built.
they run them on the same line. Typical for companies not to break out by submodel.

doesn’t excuse the smoke and mirrors, but it’s just how everyone does it.

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,522 Posts
I finally saw one of these in the wild yesterday. Interestingly enough, it was heading into the VW plant here in town. I wasn’t close enough to see if it had manufacturer plates.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
24,690 Posts
Embargo just lifted on the R1S first drives:

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
I think the efficiency comparisons with the Model X are off base. First of all, not everybody wants a jelly-bean car especially the Range Rover crowd they are converting with this thing. Secondly, Tesla plays EPA games, so go ahead and slice 20% efficiency off the top of the quoted figures to get a real world number. Range testing the R1T has already shown that the standard truck will actually meet its EPA range estimate at 70 mph, something no Tesla has ever achieved.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I think the efficiency comparisons with the Model X are off base. First of all, not everybody wants a jelly-bean car especially the Range Rover crowd they are converting with this thing. Secondly, Tesla plays EPA games, so go ahead and slice 20% efficiency off the top of the quoted figures to get a real world number. Range testing the R1T has already shown that the standard truck will actually meet its EPA range estimate at 70 mph, something no Tesla has ever achieved.
I agree that efficiency comparisons with the Model X are off -base, It's mostly the Model X that is substantially below EPA target. Third party testing had most of the Model S and Model 3 and Y models (other than the performance) within about 5% of EPA range:

Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

The Rivian gets compared to the X simply because there's so little out there in the 3-row EV space. Tesla was the only game in town for 3-row EVs until the Rivian.

·
Registered
51,431 Posts

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
My buddy here in town got his a couple weeks ago. I got to check it out thoroughly last night as well as drive the hell out of it. I am SO. FREAKIN. IMPRESSED. Holy hell, I cannot believe this is a first gen product from a brand new company! The details, fit and finish, and quality are legacy automaker worthy right out of the gate. This is the first EV I have driven that combines most the positives and strengths of a Tesla (range, vertically integrated software package, etc) with the practical styling and EONS better quality of a legacy auto maker. I have been waiting on this synergy. The Germans haven't been able to do it. Rivian did it. I cannot believe how good it is!

Truck drove like it weighed half the amount it does. Power is excellent and feels very similar to a model Y performance as far as overall straight line speed. The suspension is excellent. It drives smaller and tighter than it is...felt more like a sports sedan than a big truck to me. The interior is cozy and cockpit-like. The truck is not slightly smaller than a 1500, it is slightly bigger than a Tacoma. There is way more interior room in my Ram and old Raptor than the Rivian. I don't care. I don't need all that extra space. The interior details and quality reminded me a lot of Audi.

I'm truly blown away. Mine is supposed to be here in December and I can't wait. Limestone, Forest edge, black 22s. The one I drove was on 21s with the aero removed and wheels painted black...looked great. The whole time I was driving the truck I was thinking that after the tax credit this thing is the same price as my Model 3. 4X the vehicle for the money.

Untitled by glmmd81, on Flickr

·
Registered
51,431 Posts

·
Registered
51,431 Posts
1241 - 1260 of 1433 Posts