VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1281 - 1300 of 1433 Posts

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 325ic, both blue
3,183 Posts
Tax credits to people are the best thing we got.

I disagree with a lot of tax policy but one of the biggest things I disagree with is limiting the ability of INDIVIDIUAL HUMAN taxpayers from reducing their tax liability.

This is not to be misconstrued as me supporting a theoretical Rivian Lease Finance Corp as a tax credit beneficiary.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
If you can afford an $80K+ vehicle you do not need government incentives.
oh is it time for this again? Need, correct. But the point of these were to stimulate the industry, so the incentive should be universal. Msrp and income shouldn’t matter, if it’s that. Otherwise it’s pandering. It’s an arbitrary line in the sand. Who needs it more, the 30 year old ER doc making 305 or the 66 year old attorney who’s made 275 for 30 years? Hint: they both do or neither do. This 300k limit really only affects the guy making 301k in Socal.

·
Registered
19,517 Posts
I can’t explain why, but I find the R1T very handsome, and the R1S bland and boring. I know they look 99% the same. I can’t explain it. But that’s what my lizard brain tells me.
I like the truck more as well. Maybe the rear fenders look more flared on the truck even if just an optical illusion?

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
I can’t explain why, but I find the R1T very handsome, and the R1S bland and boring. I know they look 99% the same. I can’t explain it. But that’s what my lizard brain tells me.
I'm the opposite. I find the R1T goofy looking and the R1S clean and well proportioned.

Re: the tax thing. I think the real "problem" for Rivian here is that they got screwed by GM and Tesla. Under the old system, they would have had their 200k unit or whatever cap to sell their vehicles to anyone at any price they wanted and the $7500 tax credit was in place. GM and Tesla threw a fit that they didn't get the credit anymore and now everyone is screwed under the new system. I swear I read somewhere that there is language in there about where the batteries and components are produced playing into the credit. In trying to expand the tax credit, it's actually more restrictive.

·
Registered
13,875 Posts
I like the truck more as well. Maybe the rear fenders look more flared on the truck even if just an optical illusion?
I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
24,592 Posts
oh is it time for this again? Need, correct. But the point of these were to stimulate the industry, so the incentive should be universal. Msrp and income shouldn’t matter, if it’s that. Otherwise it’s pandering. It’s an arbitrary line in the sand. Who needs it more, the 30 year old ER doc making 305 or the 66 year old attorney who’s made 275 for 30 years? Hint: they both do or neither do. This 300k limit really only affects the guy making 301k in Socal.
Yeah looking back at what I said, which I probably did in 2 seconds then moved onto another tab, it was just a crass comment and doesn't represent what I believe. Goal should be to make EVs affordable to everyone regardless of income level since ICE emissions are the same regardless how much you make.

·
Registered
90 VW Corrado, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator, 21 Jeep Wrangler
7,856 Posts
Interesting if true. Not sure how suitable I think an EV is for off the grid glamping but who knows.

View attachment 209018
Most people who get this type of super expensive adventure van don't go that far off grid to really worry about it. I see a lot of these type of vans at National Park campgrounds and pretty easily accessible areas. The people that go way off grid won't be buying this van but the weekend warrior type, I think, would like these quite a bit.

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
Most people who get this type of super expensive adventure van don't go that far off grid to really worry about it. I see a lot of these type of vans at National Park campgrounds and pretty easily accessible areas. The people that go way off grid won't be buying this van but the weekend warrior type, I think, would like these quite a bit.
But aren’t a lot of national parks kinda off grid? Or at least remote? If I was going to drive from here to say, Yellowstone, I wouldn’t want to have to do it in 250 mile chunks.

·
Registered
43,771 Posts
But aren’t a lot of national parks kinda off grid? Or at least remote? If I was going to drive from here to say, Yellowstone, I wouldn’t want to have to do it in 250 mile chunks.
i think theres enough weekend warriors that just want to bring a "home base" to the ski area a couple hours away, or weekend excursions in the summer, to fill years worth of production capacity for these.

the "i want to hop in and drive 3 states away this weekend" crowd will always be able to buy a sprinter...

·
Registered
90 VW Corrado, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator, 21 Jeep Wrangler
7,856 Posts
Yes, some but many are pretty close. Look at Yosemite, King Canyon, Mt. Rainier, Redwoods, Sequoias, Grand Canyon. All within a days drive from a major city and many of those have campgrounds with full hook up so they can charge at the campground. When I was in Moab I saw a couple of R1Ts out on the trail so Arches and Canyonlands could be added to that list.

This won't be for everyone for sure but for the weekend warrior who is within a day or two of many of these places it could work out well.

·
Registered
37,211 Posts
i think theres enough weekend warriors that just want to bring a "home base" to the ski area a couple hours away, or weekend excursions in the summer, to fill years worth of production capacity for these.

the "i want to hop in and drive 3 states away this weekend" crowd will always be able to buy a sprinter...
Also the hardcore camping guys seem to simply move to the Rocky Mountain region, period. Then all those parks are in your back yard, so to speak. Denver and Salt Lake City are in the heart of booming jobs areas, and Jackson Hole is a highly affluent semi-retirement area. All of those are probably home base to a ton of people that moved there specifically to already have those parks close to home.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Interesting if true. Not sure how suitable I think an EV is for off the grid glamping but who knows.

View attachment 209018
LOL - That just looks like someone stretched and pulled a picture of the R1S SUV and added the windshield from an Amazon van.

I was in Yosemite NP 2 weeks ago. I came across 1 or 2 Rivian charging stations (not sure if there were 2 or I just saw the same one on 2 different days). They had 4 cables each. Rivian stated they were going to start their network at National Parks. One time, there were 3 cars parked at it - two Teslas and one something else. The second time, no cars were parked there. I did see a real live R1T in the parking lot, but it wasn't charging. There were also about half a dozen Teslas in the same area.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Rivian was smart, offered purchase contracts today to preserve the tax credit. I signed and locked mine, going with the Launch Green on the Forest Edge interior. Earnings tomorrow should be nice. Clearly Ford and GM were the lobbying force for the tax credit changes. Same with the changes to the Lightning. Swinging their weight around.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Waiting for mine. I was one of the reinstated orders and apparently those emails haven’t been sent out yet.

·
Registered
2019 Golf R + 2022 XC90 PHEV
7,431 Posts
Got the email overnight and confirmed my order just now… we doing this! Because I had been one of the people who previously canceled, I just had to confirm my billing info before I could progress to the agreement.

I switched from the R1S back to the R1T (like the 4th time I’ve swapped) so will be curious what that does for my delivery timing — with a February 2021 Chicago-based reservation, I’m hoping before the holidays.

1281 - 1300 of 1433 Posts