VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Let me start by saying that I've loved my tiggy for the few months I've had it so far. Zero issues besides what is to be mentioned, and it pretty much is exactly what I wanted in a new vehicle besides maybe a bit more horsepower, but regardless, wonderful.

So I ended up financing for my 2020 VW Tiguan SE R-Line Black back in September of 2020. Drove it off the lot no issues. Used it up to even the day I drove it into the dealership with little to no complaints, besides some lack of power compared to before and loud metal pinging sounds from the engine bay, especially right after I would turn the engine off. I'm talking loud, like someone tossed some metal BBs in there type of loud.

So anyways, I made an appointment for it to be checked out, I figured better safe than sorry. By the end of the appointment they told me they found out that my turbocharger, or "air intake valve" is bad. Along with this, they also told me they pulled the oil pan and found a bunch of metal pieces. Not flakes, not the usual small amount found within the first oil change due to it being a newly manufactured vehicle, but pieces.

So, they then told me they're sending in pictures to VW service to find out what to do next. They called me back today... three days later, to tell me that they want to do an entire engine and turbo swap. Which would be covered under the warranty.

This is concerning to me for numerous reasons... those of which are not difficult to figure out, I'm sure.

I do not want the same vehicle. I'm concerned about what else could have been affected by this that was not caught, or how the engine swap could affect the connecting parts. Im also concerned about my brand new vehicle becoming a lemon, as I genuinely don't want to be going back and forth with this, part after part, to get it to work because something else might fail due to the work being done. Im concerned about its value, as I could see it possibly being negatively affected due to a warrantied engine and turbo swap. I do not want to worry about whether or not my vehicle will become a problem child for tons of repairs to come, and to have my time consumed waiting for these repairs, spent in a loaner.

With this being said, today I have already sent in a claim for a buy back from VW. I have spent hours online with no luck on any information that may pertain to this situation. Google is crowded with article after article about their TDI emissions recall. I have only found minimal information saying that it genuinely varies on your vehicle, its age, miles, condition, etc. So I am worried that I just walked away with a $30k+ loan, and theyre going to offer to buy it back for half that, and that I will be stuck with no choice but to accept the repair, that of which I am extremely reluctant to.

Im hoping someone is able to give me some insight, or information on all of my choices, and which ones would be my best bet.

Let me add that I've already put about $2,500 worth of stuff into this tiggy... (a set of rims with winter tires, VW installed remote start... etc) and wasn't sure if I could use that as leverage if I were to be in a buy back type of position. From what I've read online, these situations seem to be negotiable, but do I even have a chance here?

I'd love to walk away with everything broken even, so I could start over with a new vehicle loan and not stress about this one. I've also wondered if this situation could warrant any type of compensation beyond buying back my vehicle, as I would like to stay a VW owner, and feel that this is a "1 in a million" type of issue that has occurred, and wouldn't mind upgrading to the Atlas Cross Sport V6 👀 if somehow VW were willing to cover the difference as restitution.

I genuinely appreciate all input, and hope you find yourself having a better start to the new year than I am!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

My local VW dealership finished doing the engine and turbo swap. I picked my Tiggy up yesterday. I went to drive it off the lot, and before even hitting 20mph, my transmission went into "emergency mode"

So I drove back... only to be put back in the loaner again. I didn't even have my car back for 5 minutes.

Now we wait to hear back from the dealership, hopefully Tomorrow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts