VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
:thumbup: call bringing back the Sprint name.

Edit: am I reading page 5 correctly? There are 527 billion C-Class configurations? :eek:
Kind of a bizarre thing for them to highlight. "Look, you can't customize your car to your liking as much as our competitors"
I think they're putting that out there to highlight they can play up a simpler pitch to customers. Mercedes dealers aren't necessary pleased that they have a huge spread of models with many, many different option combinations available. That's more acceptable on the high end models but becomes difficult to manage on volume cars like the C-class.

Also, I feel like that configuration number is inclusive of engine/option combinations outside of the U.S.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
TangoRed is correct. What's remarkable is the spread between Mercedes, BMW and Audi in terms of configuration numbers - and the total number of configurations still seems ludicrous. While I'm not a logistics and manufacturing expert, I have to imagine that there are significant efficiencies and value to be wrung out by combining and consolidating a lot of standalone options into packages.

With every other headwind that automakers are facing these days, I fully expect there to be another round of massive consolidation and elimination of options as the automakers (and their suppliers) attempt to rebuild their balance sheets over the coming year.

I think they're putting that out there to highlight they can play up a simpler pitch to customers. Mercedes dealers aren't necessary pleased that they have a huge spread of models with many, many different option combinations available. That's more acceptable on the high end models but becomes difficult to manage on volume cars like the C-class.

Also, I feel like that configuration number is inclusive of engine/option combinations outside of the U.S.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
Configuration options are part of what prompted Ford to kill sedans here

Still, good to keep some options. I don't ever want a black interior again. Earth tones only.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I should add, this is partly what is prompting automakers to look at after-sales-enabling of features through software. Again, at a certain point, it makes more sense to equip most of the cars with more hardware (think higher end LED/matrix lights, HUD, stereo enhancements, heated seats, etc.), and then if someone wants to activate these features at the time of purchase, or even after, they get "unlocked". In terms of streamlining inventory, logistics, and manufacturing, I have to image this would be a major boon to automakers and consumers.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
TangoRed is correct. What's remarkable is the spread between Mercedes, BMW and Audi in terms of configuration numbers - and the total number of configurations still seems ludicrous. While I'm not a logistics and manufacturing expert, I have to imagine that there are significant efficiencies and value to be wrung out by combining and consolidating a lot of standalone options into packages.

With every other headwind that automakers are facing these days, I fully expect there to be another round of massive consolidation and elimination of options as the automakers (and their suppliers) attempt to rebuild their balance sheets over the coming year.
This is why Toyota and Honda have had always basic packages/trim versus individual options. The value statement isn't there until you reach a higher pricepoint and/or type of vehicle, where the likes of Porsche can get you to pay handsomely for leather covered air vents. It's smart for Alfa to follow the Lexus/Acura and even Genesis route and keep it simple. It helps reduce waste within their value system and offers customers a better vehicle value.

·
Registered
S2000, E320
7,861 Posts

Yeah but how often is even a fraction of these combinations ordered?

Most dealer lots look the same: monochromatic colors, premium package, rinse repeat.

(I have a feeling FCA overstated the number as many of the interior trim + wheel options for the C require the AMG package anyway).

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
A confused customer doesn't buy. I would bet there are more customers confused by 527 billion combinations than are excited about it.
A confused customer is the type of simpleton customer who is a lark who walks on the lot and just points at one with heated seats and says "I'll take it!"

You'd be shocked how many people in this day and age still don't even realize you can build a car online on a manufacturer's website.

At the end of the day, lots are just stocked with crappy lease specs anyway for the lark who wants the $399 lease special they saw on TV. Who cares if it has hideous wheels and halogen lights as long as it has the propeller on the hood?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
It helps reduce waste within their value system and offers customers a better vehicle value.
It's only a value if it's priced as a value. Otherwise it's a price gouge. I'm in the anti-sunroof camp but can't get an option package I want without one thrown in. Stand-alone options FTW.

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 FieSTa
9,728 Posts
Configuration options are part of what prompted Ford to kill sedans here

Still, good to keep some options. I don't ever want a black interior again. Earth tones only.
Well, that was Ford's poor decision to offer their Fusion with like 5 different engines when you only really need 2. The Focus and Fiesta also had the redundant 1 litre turbo that didn't even get great fuel economy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.