VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm in the minority, but I actually really like the new front as seen on the new 4-series and am quite excited to see it on the M3.

Still just under a week away, but thought I'd start a thread in anticipation. :thumbup:

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,748 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Really disappointed the AWD version won’t be available until next model year, especially when that’s the drivetrain already in use in the X3M.

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really disappointed the AWD version won’t be available until next model year, especially when that’s the drivetrain already in use in the X3M.
That is a disappointment. I wonder if they'll roll out X-Drive earlier in Canada. That's the only way I would consider it.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
That is a disappointment. I wonder if they'll roll out X-Drive earlier in Canada. That's the only way I would consider it.
July 2021 is the production start date for it. I got tired of waiting and my next car arrived at the dealer on Friday and I just need to get over there to pick it up.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That is kinda strange. The entire drivetrain has more of less been available for a year at this point—I wonder why this has been such an extended development cycle? Could be wrong, but it seems very dragged out.

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
Remember when ///M cars were more than garish buck tooth grilles and spec sheet thrills? PEpperidge Farm remembers

I usually hate bitter nostalgia but there is honestly nothing about the G8x I'm looking forward to.

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
Kind of a shame considering it's probably the last six cylinder and/or RWD manual transmission sedan to be offered on the market.
Dont worry, the stock H8x M3/4 will put down 600WHP+ on a Dynojet.

·
Registered
15,363 Posts
Remember when ///M cars were more than garish buck tooth grilles and spec sheet thrills? PEpperidge Farm remembers

I usually hate bitter nostalgia but there is honestly nothing about the G8x I'm looking forward to.
What? Why?

The G8x series has been nearly universally praised as having better steering feel and handling than the F8x series. (I think) it looks better, OTHER THAN the ugly buck teeth/pig nose. It will have a manual transmission.

Have you actually reached the point where having more power is a turnoff?

Seriously. Other than the looks, this has the potential to be the best M3 in years -- potentially since the e46.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Never thought Id hear people clamor for an AWD M car.
With the power levels they're at now, unless you really like going sideways AWD starts to make more sense.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
What? Why?

The G8x series has been nearly universally praised as having better steering feel and handling than the F8x series. (I think) it looks better, OTHER THAN the ugly buck teeth/pig nose. It will have a manual transmission.

Seriously. Other than the looks, this has the potential to be the best M3 in years -- potentially since the e46.
More power just means more weight, size, and cost. Speed limits haven't changed. I still want an E90/92 M3 personally.

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
What? Why?

Everyone doesn't enjoy cars through spec sheet bingo. What will the extra power of the G8x allow you to do that the F8x won't, besides brag about having more stock HP? For me the extra power is meaningless and not worth the extra weight, worse looks in and out, and same synthetic engine sounds. It's a shame that the manufacturer that literally invented the sport sedan doesn't have the balls to blink in this pointless spec sheet war.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
With the power levels they're at now, unless you really like going sideways AWD starts to make more sense.
I guess the M2 is what the M3/4 used to be, and the M3/4 is what the M5 used to be, and the M5 is what the Porsche 911 Turbo has been since the 996.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Everyone doesn't enjoy cars through spec sheet bingo. What will the extra power of the G8x allow you to do that the F8x won't, besides brag about having more stock HP? For me the extra power is meaningless and not worth the extra weight, worse looks in and out, and same synthetic engine sounds. It's a shame that the manufacturer that literally invented the sport sedan doesn't have the balls to blink in this pointless spec sheet war.
BMW's the only one releasing a RWD/6MT variant at this time if that's what you want. If you think it's too large and heavy, then wait for the G87 M2.

I guess the M2 is what the M3/4 used to be, and the M3/4 is what the M5 used to be, and the M5 is what the Porsche 911 Turbo has been since the 996.
The M2 is basically your option if you want a new E46 M3. Hopefully the G87 continues that tradition.

1 - 20 of 715 Posts