VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2021 Golf R Specs

72K views 260 replies 82 participants last post by  MMeachGLI 
#1 ·
In November, the owner of my Ontario, Canada VW dealership was in Chattanooga to see the 2021 Golf R.
No pictures, as their cell phones were confiscated
These were his notes:
-the car will be a model year 2021
-now comes with a sunroof
-full LED emblem and light strip in front bumper
-limited slip differential with drift mode option
-full digital cockpit
-300+ horse power
-19" wheels
-built in Germany

My background:
I've been driving GTI's since 1984, all my VW's purchased from the same dealer.
I've had 3 Golf R's. The first one was a 2012 Rising Blue, now driving a 2019 Indium, all 6MT.
The 2019 is the best, the 2016 the worst.
Oh, and I'm 74.

#231 ·
In Canada, my dealer will be ordering their first batch Mk8 Golf R's on Monday June 7th.
Delivery in November.
For everyone's information, the 6M will have 15 ft-lbs of torque less than the DSG.
That makes me happy.
The Mk8 will be coming with pretty well everything you'd want.
If you've been following this thread, you know I'm usually right.

#238 ·
In Canada, my dealer will be ordering their first batch Mk8 Golf R's on Monday June 7th.
Delivery in November.
For everyone's information, the 6M will have 15 ft-lbs of torque less than the DSG.
That makes me happy.
The Mk8 will be coming with pretty well everything you'd want.
If you've been following this thread, you know I'm usually right.
Have not heard anything about official order books opened, and the first year is allocation per dealer, is he actually taking deposits? I have heard nothing from my dealer, other than extending my lease, even nothing on pricing, I would be skeptical of placing an order right now when there is no information, and also 100% get in writing you will be receiving a car.

#141 ·
2021 Golf R Specs Confirmed

Back in November 2019 I started this thread. In it I stated that the owner of my dealership, which I've been with since 1984, was in Chattanooga to see the MK8 Golf R.
I included all of his notes on what he saw and heard. The big item was: "limited differential with drift mode".
KevinC commented: "I call BS on this story. Yet this dealer person claims to have seen it? Riiiigt."
Ttone74 commented: "I would never believe a dealer, they are pathological liars."
Everything I wrote, other than: "the car will be a model year 2021", is now confirmed.
I've noticed that there are people on the VW Vortex forum, with hundreds posts, that never add anything constructive.
They just seem to want bash everything and everyone.
I've had 7 GTI's, 3 Golf R's and will be ordering a MK8 Golf R, when they become available in Ontario.
The rest of you.........have a nice day.

#158 ·
2021 Golf R Specs Confirmed

Back in November 2019 I started this thread. In it I stated that the owner of my dealership, which I've been with since 1984, was in Chattanooga to see the MK8 Golf R.
I included all of his notes on what he saw and heard. The big item was: "limited differential with drift mode".
KevinC commented: "I call BS on this story. Yet this dealer person claims to have seen it? Riiiigt."
Ttone74 commented: "I would never believe a dealer, they are pathological liars."
Everything I wrote, other than: "the car will be a model year 2021", is now confirmed.
I've noticed that there are people on the VW Vortex forum, with hundreds posts, that never add anything constructive.
They just seem to want bash everything and everyone.
I've had 7 GTI's, 3 Golf R's and will be ordering a MK8 Golf R, when they become available in Ontario.
The rest of you.........have a nice day.
Annnnnnnnd this is why I quit most internet forums I was on, except for VERY specific topics. They seem to be 5-10% fact, 90-95% opinion. And the opinions, well you get ALL of them. And they're VERY opinionated. I had a MKV R32 and spent 5 years on this forum and a lot is the same. DSG vs Manual, stock vs light mods vs heavy mods, 3 door vs 5 door (not a problem any more lol), you're stupid if you don't think my favorite color is the best haha. It can be a black hole time suck and in the end I found a lot of it very draining...

#236 ·
Thanks for the info.

Personally, I don't want a sunroof so would have to wait. And I also have 2 other newly updated cars I am considering and want to wait for reviews of them (GR86 and 400Z) including hopefully some comparisons to the Mk 8. If I am really patient I will hang on long enough to test drive all three.

#146 ·
ya its similar to the 'sports diff' I had in my S4 *in theory*. It did make a difference, but I think getting that power to the rear is where I am more interested in because it is only ever going to get up to 50% of the power back there, where with the center crown diff in the Torsen system allowed 20% front and 80% rear, I think the RS5 had it up to 10/90.

End of day, I think I concluded, this will be my last R, because I know the RS3 is going to have this tech, with the engine I want, and since I would get the MK8 in a DSG if I replace my MK7...will just sit around and wait

#209 ·
I’m beginning to think that the GTI is where the fun is to be had with a manual. Seems obvious that DSG is where the development is going in higher HP hot hatches, I’d really need to see someone do a review of the manual vs the DSG to make sure that the manual is “solid” with its gearing.

#241 ·
Honestly it all depends on your height and even weight, at 6’6 I fit comfortably in my RS3 and I’ve been in the MK7 R and no issues there either, I’m able to comfortably take control of the steering wheel and shifter as well. Though I’ll admit I wasn’t all that comfortable in the back seat, but then again it’s a race car not a family car so back seat is pretty much for my book or gym bag to ride comfy back there 💁🏻‍♂️
😁

#242 ·
I think it is more a torso length issue for me. I am 6'0 and hit my head in the S3. When I first sat in the car the salesman tried to talk to me and all I could see was the top of the door frame. In the Golf R I am easily several inches clear of the roofline. It is probably a combination of sunroof and the S3 supposedly had something like 1.5-2" less headroom space based off cabin specs. I also wonder if the plushness of the S3 seats didn't help since the Golf R seems to have a thinner cushion.

#248 ·
Canadian Specs:

2022 Volkswagen Golf R

R 6-speed manual - MSRP: $44,995
R 7-speed DSG- MSRP: $46,395

PERFORMANCE
4-Cylinder, 2.0 TSI 315 HP, 280 lb-ft - 6-speed manual transmission
4-Cylinder, 2.0 TSI 315 HP, 295 lb-ft - 7-speed automatic DSG® with Tiptronic®
4MOTION® All-wheel drive with rear axle torque vectoring differential
Dynamic Chassis Control
Electronic differential lock XDS
Progressive steering
Start/stop system with regenerative braking - DSG only

SAFETY
Front Assist - Autonomous Emergency Braking with pedestrian and cyclist monitoring
Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
Vehicle immobilizer with alarm system
Automatic headlights with coming and leaving home function
Dynamic Road Sign Display
Light Assist (Automatic high beam control)
Dynamic headlights with cornering lights
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Front and rear Side Curtain Protection® with front side airbags
Side Assist (Blind spot monitor) with Rear Traffic Alert
Travel Assist (Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist) - Manual only
Travel Assist (Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Assist, and Emergency Assist) - DSG Only

FUNCTION
Diversity antenna AM/FM reception
Heated exterior mirrors with power auto-folding
Wireless App-Connect smartphone integration (Android Auto®, Apple CarPlay®)
Storage compartment and 12V outlet in front
Power outlet, 12V (x1) in luggage compartment
Heated washer nozzles
Park Distance Control (Front and rear sensors) with Park Assist
2 front USB data ports and 2 rear USB charging ports
Climatronic® three-zone front and rear electronic air conditioning
Head-Up Display (HUD)
Rearview camera with dynamic guidance lines
Harman Kardon® Premium Audio System - 8 speakers plus subwoofer
Volkswagen Digital Cockpit Pro (10.25" configurable instrument cluster)
Navigation system "Discover Pro", 10-inch screen
Volkswagen Car-Net® (remote connectivity)
Voice control
Rain-sensing wipers
KESSY - keyless access with push-start button and proximity unlocking
SiriusXM® satellite radio
Wireless charging
Washer fluid level indicator

INTERIOR
Decorative inserts: "Carbon Grey"
Brushed stainless steel pedals
60/40 split-folding rear seats with centre armrest and pass-through
Interior footwell lights with selectable light colour
Auto-dimming interior rearview mirror
Interior ambient lighting, customizable up to 30 colours
2 Front and 2 rear reading lights
Driver seat with 2-way power lumbar support, passenger manual lumb
Leather multi-function heated sport steering wheel with touch controls, including "R" button
Leather multi-function heated sport steering wheel with touch controls, including "R" button and paddle shifters - DSG only
Front center armrest
Gearshift knob/selector in aluminum
Front sport bucket seats with integrated headrests
Nappa leather seating surfaces with R logo
6-way power-adjustable driver seat with memory function
Heated front and outer rear seats
Ventilated front seats

Illuminated vanity mirrors
Leatherette door inserts
First- and second-row floor mats

EXTERIOR
Illuminated door handles, illuminated light line at front
358 mm cross-drilled and ventilated front brake rotors with blue 2-piston calipers
310 mm ventilated rear brake rotors with 1-piston calipers in blue
Wheel locks
Quad exhaust tailpipes
Matte chrome exterior mirror housings
Tool kit and jack
Panoramic power sunroof - Optional
LED High headlights with LED daytime running lights (DRLs)
Cornering lights with poor-weather lights
19" Estoril alloy wheels 8J x 19
Summer performance tires, 235/35 R19, 91Y
Tire mobility set
LED tail lights
R unique bumper and door sills
Surround lighting with welcome light projected on ground from side mirrors

PS1 - Panoramic power sunroof - $1,250

Sunroof option is required until CW40/21

#8 ·
Despite all of the DSG humpers around here, I'd say it's very likely that it will still have a manual option.

The R is a crossover model from other cars like the Civic Type R and STI, both of which are exclusively manual. VWoA has also stated that the take rate on the GTI/R combo is as high as 44%, and even higher on the R than the GTI. I find it unlikely that they'd alienate all of those potential buyers.

#4 ·
I like the sunroof - but can live without it
I like the limited slip diff - easily fixed with the Wavetrac

The drift mode is interesting to hear how this is accomplished, more aggressive Haldex? With the diff, is it possibly an electronic diff that lets the front wheels carry no power if it wants? That would be the biggest thing to get me out of the MK7.5

I'm not sure if anything else changes my decision to stick with a 2018 though.

#9 ·
All indications are that the GTI will be a late 2021 model. I doubt that VWoA will put out the GTI and Golf R at the same time. I hope your 2021 model year info is correct. For the life of me I can't understand why the North American market is still behind Europe by as much as 2 years with new model introductions.

Having seen the Golf VIII, I must say that I was disappointed that the exterior is more like a mild facelift than a brand new car. The front looks worse than the Mk 7.5. I'm also not a big fan of the interior design with focus on eliminating all buttons and using gimmicky slider and touchpad controls. The infotainment screen looks badly intergated with the main gauge cluster too.

This is why I'm contemplating getting a leftover 2019 Golf R 6MT (in Indium gray too, like yours). I'm also curious why you think there's such a quantum improvement from 2016 to 2019 R. If it's the Digital Cockpit, I would have actually preferred the old school analog gauge cluster. To my eyes, the shape of the silver trimmed instrument surround just looks odd with the Digital Cockpit.

This post has been deleted
#19 ·

I would never believe a Dealer, they are pathological liars! I doubt we get drift mode option and don’t expect to see this until summer of 21’ at the earliest!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.