VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
141 - 160 of 261 Posts
Discussion starter · #141 ·
2021 Golf R Specs Confirmed

Back in November 2019 I started this thread. In it I stated that the owner of my dealership, which I've been with since 1984, was in Chattanooga to see the MK8 Golf R.
I included all of his notes on what he saw and heard. The big item was: "limited differential with drift mode".
KevinC commented: "I call BS on this story. Yet this dealer person claims to have seen it? Riiiigt."
Ttone74 commented: "I would never believe a dealer, they are pathological liars."
Everything I wrote, other than: "the car will be a model year 2021", is now confirmed.
I've noticed that there are people on the VW Vortex forum, with hundreds posts, that never add anything constructive.
They just seem to want bash everything and everyone.
I've had 7 GTI's, 3 Golf R's and will be ordering a MK8 Golf R, when they become available in Ontario.
The rest of you.........have a nice day.

Back in November 2019 I started this thread. In it I stated that the owner of my dealership, which I've been with since 1984, was in Chattanooga to see the MK8 Golf R.
I included all of his notes on what he saw and heard. The big item was: "limited differential with drift mode".
KevinC commented: "I call BS on this story. Yet this dealer person claims to have seen it? Riiiigt."
Ttone74 commented: "I would never believe a dealer, they are pathological liars."
Everything I wrote, other than: "the car will be a model year 2021", is now confirmed.
I've noticed that there are people on the VW Vortex forum, with hundreds posts, that never add anything constructive.
I've had 7 GTI's, 3 Golf R's and will be ordering a MK8 Golf R, when they become available in Ontario.
well now, keep in mind we still have no proof there is a limited differential - I am waiting to see what is uncovered when it is available. Drift mode right now looks very pathetic.
Otherwise was pretty spot on.

Still on the fence if I want a MK8 R myself. Keeping going back and forth on this - stay or go

Nobody will know for certain until it's on the road - maybe some of you folks have the money to be the first to buy a new generation of car, but there's risks involved, especially given VW's reputation for design faults.

e.g. if the thermostats don't leak anymore, I'm in;

but if the interior smells like crayons again like the Mk4, I can pass.

More realistically, they managed to get a reliable timing chain system in the VR6 after s/n 217000 in 1997. Then they managed to get an unreliable timing chain system in the first and second gen EA888. It may as well be a dice toss.

Discussion starter · #145 ·
If you watch the videos carefully, you'll see the rear drive assembly has clutch packs on each half shaft.
That allows the system to supply more torque to the outside wheel when cornering, helping understeer.
I'm asuuming those clutch packs will give you LSD.

If you watch the videos carefully, you'll see the rear drive assembly has clutch packs on each half shaft.
That allows the system to supply more torque to the outside wheel when cornering, helping understeer.
I'm asuuming those clutch packs will give you LSD.
ya its similar to the 'sports diff' I had in my S4 *in theory*. It did make a difference, but I think getting that power to the rear is where I am more interested in because it is only ever going to get up to 50% of the power back there, where with the center crown diff in the Torsen system allowed 20% front and 80% rear, I think the RS5 had it up to 10/90.

End of day, I think I concluded, this will be my last R, because I know the RS3 is going to have this tech, with the engine I want, and since I would get the MK8 in a DSG if I replace my MK7...will just sit around and wait

On the fence

Time to change vehicles and re-join the VW family. My dilemma is what to buy. I started out thinking I wanted an R, something I looked at a couple of years ago but now not available until late next year and even then maybe limited quantifies. My local dealer who is a pretty large Porsche, Audi, VW store said they only get about 4 per year with no choice of colors. I have a very good Canadian friend who owns a company that puts on driving events for Audi and is a big Porsche guy that says of all the cars he has owned or driven the R is one of his favorites. He went on to say if he could only have one last car that would be it. Pretty strong endorsement. Then I turned my attention to the new ID4, loaded and with AWD. The AWD with 300hp should be very quick off the line. Pricing between the two vehicles is similar after applying the Federal tax credit of $7500 on the EV. Finally, I could simply just buy a current model GTI, which if I understand all of the jargon is a MK 7.5. I'm 74 and I hate waiting since time is not on my side any more but I may have to do just that. This will likely be my last car since I tend to drive very few mile per year and therefore keep them for 10 years. I know no one can make a decision for me but it is always interesting to hear opinions.

Time to change vehicles and re-join the VW family. My dilemma is what to buy. I started out thinking I wanted an R, something I looked at a couple of years ago but now not available until late next year and even then maybe limited quantifies.
I'm inferring that you're looking for new?
How about a 2019 R? You can still get those new (and right now!). I went from a GTI to an R and while the GTI was spectacular, I like the R even more.

I’ll trade my paid off 2016 R straight up for a MK8 R right now! With all it’s flaws. Wait, my 2016 R has plenty of it’s own flaws. I’ll even drive a boring DSG for my manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I mean every generation has had it's pros and cons. I think the MK7 definitely had the chassis upgrades, along with modernizing a lot of tech.

That said, I think the MK8, is great for the seats, and the rear diff. Some folks might like the sun roof. It just doesn't seem like it's a massive upgrade, but nice features.

Design is always objective. I think the center console is 'too' minimalistic, and personally I don't like. The Audi S3 / RS3 has my interest to replace my Golf R more then the MK8 - falling right into VAG trap!!!

The Audi S3 / RS3 has my interest to replace my Golf R more then the MK8 - falling right into VAG trap!!!
^^this. My 2019 has everything I ever wanted. I HATE sunroofs.
Every new model introduced, I thought: “Nice update”. The MK8 is the first one were I threw up a little in my mouth when I first saw it, hence the reason I went ahead and got the 2019 instead. If I feel the need to “upgrade” I take the lack of a hatch over the hideous looks of the new .:R and get a RS3 instead.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2021 Golf R Specs Confirmed

Annnnnnnnd this is why I quit most internet forums I was on, except for VERY specific topics. They seem to be 5-10% fact, 90-95% opinion. And the opinions, well you get ALL of them. And they're VERY opinionated. I had a MKV R32 and spent 5 years on this forum and a lot is the same. DSG vs Manual, stock vs light mods vs heavy mods, 3 door vs 5 door (not a problem any more lol), you're stupid if you don't think my favorite color is the best haha. It can be a black hole time suck and in the end I found a lot of it very draining...

In November, the owner of my Ontario, Canada VW dealership was in Chattanooga to see the 2021 Golf R.
No pictures, as their cell phones were confiscated
These were his notes:
-the car will be a model year 2021
-now comes with a sunroof
-full LED emblem and light strip in front bumper
-limited slip differential with drift mode option
-full digital cockpit
-300+ horse power
-19" wheels
-built in Germany

My background:
I've been driving GTI's since 1984, all my VW's purchased from the same dealer.
I've had 3 Golf R's. The first one was a 2012 Rising Blue, now driving a 2019 Indium, all 6MT.
The 2019 is the best, the 2016 the worst.
Oh, and I'm 74.
That is awesome you have been a loyalist for so long! They are fun cars. I seem to be bouncing back and forth between vw and bmw but recently picked up a Type R to try something new. I hope you stick around. I plan on getting the new R but may go DSG for the first time.

141 - 160 of 261 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.