VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The lease of our 2018 Tiguan is due next month, thinking on getting either the SE or the SE-R black, we went trough all the recalls and throttle response repair.

To be honest we are thinking on buying the next car and going out of VW maybe subaru, we have had VW since 1995 jetta and golf, 2001 jetta, 2008 passat (still own it), 2011 golf (still own it and have so many perks and so much more power and performance on this 12 year old car than the tiguan that is shameful) and now this 2018 tiguan we are not buying it after the lease.

Looking for advice in 2020-2021 models (maybe even atlas) we don't want to have so many issues again specially with this new normal we want to have that sense of reliability we had for so many years before.

Talk me in or talk me out.

Thank you guys and gals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well I made the mistake of buying a Subaru Legacy 2.5i wagon in 2008. Thankfully it had a regular 4 speed automatic. We had so many issues (head gaskets blown, oil pressure sensor split in half, inside roof system board cold solder problems - I R&R'd it myself as no recall, transmission by 200,000 kilometers) so I have and will not go to Subaru again. I have heard they still have head gasket issues.
I had to add that Subaru has cheap interior. Just my opinion and experience with a 2008 model year.
Just my experience.

Love my 2019 Tiguan S 4Motion. New FW rocks.
Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
369 Posts
After the throttle response fix, the tiguan actually feels really good. Not a fair comparison with your golf, tiguan is a decent size suv vs a compact hatch.

Good luck with your decision, but I like our 2020 tiguan and also our 2019 jetta. Best bang for buck compared to all other cars I've bought.. plus the warranty is really good

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
2021 se-r

2018, being the first model year for the new Tiguan in America, seemed to have quite a few issues that needed to be worked out. But it seems they have mostly been resolved by this point. I have a 2019 SE 4motion with about 35k miles, and I have not had a single problem with it. I'd avoid the Forester - as Remzac said, they aren't perfect either, and in my opinion feel cheap and unrefined compared to the Tiguan.

My vote is for the 2021 Tiguan SE R-line

·
Registered
43 Posts
2020 VW Tiguan and Masada CX-5 are the two top compact SUV’s. The Masada is way behind in electronics and the size of their sunroof. Stick with VW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Up here Mazda are rust buckets, so a good comprehensive rust proofing would be essential long term. Something like Krown.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wouldn't be touching a first-year anything, let alone a new EV platform. I'd wait for the 3rd year, maybe.....

·
Registered
53,035 Posts
Up here Mazda are rust buckets, so a good comprehensive rust proofing would be essential long term. Something like Krown.
So, can you show us a rusted Mazda that has been built since 2010? Vehicles don't rust anymore and you certainly don't destroy them with aftermarket rustproofing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My take on it? Well... I walked into the local dealer looking for the Atlas CT. I like the look and the stance of the R Line model. The problem for me was the size. It's 11 inches longer and 6 inches wider than the Tiguan and that ment while I could fit it in the garage, it would reach from the back wall to the garage door with no room to move around the car. The additional width ment my wife's C250 would need to be greased up to fit in next to it.
The Tiguan however fit perfectly. I was told by the dealer that the 2.0 engine was the same and the horsepower numbers could be made the same by a simple software change. I only found out after the fact that I'd have to trash the warranty to make that happen. Now, if you liked your 2018 Tig, then you'll like the 2021. I'm quite happy with mine and the new Sport Mode is almost too aggressive, but all in all it works. The Atlas is BIG and drives more like an American SUV rather than a German car. I wasn't interested in the Subaru or the Toyota because the styling was just too "Out there" while the VW has that efficient German look. I've been second guessing myself since I dropped the hammer but, when I look at the Tiguan parked in the garage, I know I made the right choice... Now... Where's that software...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well we come to an end on deciding.

We tested Pathfinder, Higlander, pilot, Ascent, RV and Atlas se with tech.

The Atlas was.. well big, too big exact same size on everything inside just like the tiguan but on a bigger and wasted space, and felt slugish but they didn't have a v6 at the moment for us to test.

All other brands were different and I really liked the pathfinder cross rock (I think that was the teim name), specially the price, but it did not come with apple play or android auto. Thats was the only downside for a car that we want to keep for the next 10 years or so.

Rv was very similar to the tiguan in size and stuff but more snappy and more responsive buybonly 5 seats, higlander well price and incentives were just to high and not that many.

The pilot was bland and not worth it.

we got the subaru Ascent limited with captain chairs and leather all led in and out, very happy with it we have it for a month now, but also we decided to buy the tiguan and put the passat for sale, (if anyone is interested 106.xxx miles). Now as soon as the warranty runs out a tune will be going into it.

Thank you all for the ideas and examples.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts