VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A new Toyota Tundra is around the corner, and our spy shooters think they caught a hybrid model out testing. We previously wrote about a rumor that the truck would get a hybrid powertrain, but there was no evidence of it at that point. Now, we feel a bit more confident that Toyota is at least testing the Tundra with a hybrid powertrain.

The photographers say they heard the hum of the electrics, followed by the noise of an engine kicking on around 25-30 mph on multiple occasions while tailing the truck seen here. Our previous story speculated that Toyota could use a hybridized version of the 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 we saw make its debut in the Lexus LS500. Another possible powertrain option could also be borrowed from the LS500h. That one uses a naturally aspirated V6 and an electric motor for a total system output of 354 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque. If it's the former, we'll expect significantly more power, with the powertrain likely being considered for a flagship version of the truck. Our guess would put a hybridized version of the twin-turbo V6 at about 450-500 horsepower.

This particular tester doesn't look like a "flagship" truck with the small, steel wheels, but who knows what Toyota is up to with its test vehicle. Physical details of the Tundra mule we see here are similar to the previous set of photos we got. Toyota is still trying extra hard to make sure we can't see what's going on with the rear suspension, implementing all sorts of brushes and blockers. Everything rear of the cab is kept tightly under wraps, and the front end gets the same treatment. None of the lights appear to be production units at this point, but they're covered up nonetheless.

A previous report told us that the new Tundra and Tacoma would share a platform internally called F1. We expect the first truck on this platform to be revealed in 2020, so that tells us we'll see the new Tundra next year sometime — the Tacoma likely still has a bit of a wait until its next overhaul. Hybridization, with still unknown amounts of power, will likely be along for the ride when the truck is finally shown.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/11/2021-toyota-tundra-hybrid-spy-photos/

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Sign me up. We just bought our first hybrid (Accord) and I love it. I like my trucks too, but I'd like them more with ~30 mpg. Toyota is the clear leader in hybrid technology. Why it's taken them so long to apply it to more vehicles boggles my mind. They're still an also-ran in the FS truck market. This would give them something to separate themselves in the personal use truck market (at least until everyone else starts doing it).

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I've always thought Toyota should've made a hybrid Tacoma/Tundra 5 years ago.

Fortify the V6 setup from the Highlander hybrid and you have a perfect fleet truck.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
GM and Ram already beat them to the punch... Kind of.

Nobody really noticed or cared.
Right, because their systems were basically worthless and didn't produce any worthwhile results that I'm aware of.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/11/2021-toyota-tundra-hybrid-spy-photos/

autoblog article said:
A previous report told us that the new Tundra and Tacoma would share a platform internally called F1.
This is stupid, didn't Nissan learn this lesson in 2005? Sharing your full size and your mid-size truck platform means that your mid-size truck gets **** fuel economy and weighs 5000 pounds, while your fullsize doesn't have enough capability.

·
Registered
20,592 Posts
Right, because their systems were basically worthless and didn't produce any worthwhile results that I'm aware of.
The 2-mode hybrid in the GMT900s was the real deal, but just happened to debut at Carpocalypse time, which coincided with gas prices dropping back to earth. Not to be confused with the mild-hybrid system in the generation before and after.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/silverado/2009/2009-chevrolet-silverado-hybrid-2/

Battery pack used the space under the rear seats. It didn't do anything for highway fuel economy, but city jumped up to 20mpg which was a huge improvement then and is still good now. In-town, it uses 25% less fuel than the non-hybrid.

For the record, a 2019 Tundra still gets worse fuel economy than a 2009 Silverado non-hybrid. Toyota stopped trying in trucks a long time ago, so it's good to see something.

·
Registered
19,397 Posts
They have been making hybrid Hino box trucks for six or seven years now; they get 14 MPG compared to the Isuzus that get 8. I'm sure the 5-liter 4-cylinder turbo diesel isn't refined enough for the Tundra but I'm sure they've learned a lot from it.

·
Registered
28,902 Posts
Nobody wants smug pickup owners.

·
Registered
28,785 Posts
Rolling Volts!

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Supposely there was a video that was posted on Youtube and then taken down. Some info rehash from both Lexusenthusiast and Supraforums.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/third-generation-toyota-tundra-master-thread.5013/page-12

https://www.supraforums.com/threads/so-the-truth-finally-comes-out.1120619/

BTW, I saw a video today that indicates the 2022 (IIRC) Lexus LX 570 and Toyota Land Cruiser will have the 3.5L TT V6, along with hybrid power. Mind you, without hybridization, the motor already makes 415 hp and 442 lb-ft in the LS 500. The next Tundra is also suppose to get a version of this set-up. The speaker in the video conservatively estimated 500 hp and 500 lb-ft, with the Land Cruiser/LX combo and the Tundra all slated to be significantly lighter than their current iterations (the Tundra is reported to get mid-30 MPG along with more power and lighter weight).

I mention all this because of Boost Wang's earlier post about this motor in a modified LC 500 chassis. Now, this motor in the LS 500 is next level in every respect, so I find it amazing Toyota did not use the MKV Supra as another company vehicle to amortize the cost of this motor across the upper end of its model ranges. This is what it did with the 2JZ-GTE in the Supra, Aristo and the Chaser, I believe. Rumors say there will be an all-Toyota A100 Supra (there's already a thread on this) so maybe there's still hope though I, personally, don't have any.

Ken.

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
Makes sense, despite the failed attempt by GM.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
If Ford can be successful with turbo V6's in their big trucks and SUV's, Toyota sure as hell can. I can't wait to see the Hybrid tested against the plug-in F150.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
2022 Toyota Tundra spied with big design changes in the making

This is our first look at the next-gen Tundra in over a year

It has been over a year since we caught the next-gen Toyota Tundra pickup out testing, but that changes today. New spy shots show the full-size truck running around in a thick layer of camouflage and coverings.

Just like the first time we spotted a next-gen Tundra, this one is sporting skirts, brushes and other materials to block our view of the rear suspension. But the big news is that under the camouflage is what looks like a totally new and different truck. Both times we previously spied the Tundra, it was still the same cab and truck underneath. Toyota didn’t even bother to cover up the doors. This truck looks entirely different with a new cab design, hugely different front end, massively different mirrors and new elements to pore over everywhere.

These photos make it look properly gargantuan with tall, slab-sided shapes, massive rear doors and upsized everything. It looks like it’ll match up with the huge American competition better than the current truck, which has to be exactly what Toyota is aiming for. The gently downward sloping front hood is much more flat and has an abrupt ending. There’s less angle on the rear of the cab where it comes down to meet the bed than before. And the front overhang still looks short, but it might be a tad longer than the previous truck. Many of the coverings shroud the finer details, but there’s no mistaking this one for the old Tundra.

The grille size looks like it’ll fit in with the current truck crowd. We can see through the camouflage here, and Toyota appears to be hiding large, horizontal slats underneath. The headlights look like LEDs at this point, but they’re under deep cover. Still, this lets us know the truck is getting nearer to launch time.

We can’t see any tire sizes, but the wheels on this truck are massive. You can get 20-inch wheels on the current Tundra, but Toyota could be pushing the envelope for a more luxurious model to compete with the fleet of luxury trucks Ford, Ram and GM sell.

None of the powertrain rumors have changed as of late. We’re still expecting this truck to come with a 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 hybrid setup. That’d instantly catapult the Tundra into the fray with the others and would also be a great competitor to the new F-150 PowerBoost.

We still don’t know when the new Tundra will launch, but at this rate we’re looking at a potential 2022 model year. Let’s hope it comes soon, because the current Tundra is really stretching its legs in longevity at this point.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/20/next-gen-toyota-tundra-spied/#slide-2279669

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've seen it and the 2022 Tundra looks very interesting. Too bad a lot of people played obtuse and pretended as if they didn't realize these were mules wearing the new front end and rear, but not whole vehicle. @TangoRed needs to PM me, I've got some stuff to share of the new truck.

Styling adopts the cues of the initial 2007 Tundra at the rear, marrying it to newer 2013-2021 like tailgate stamping and upfront looks somewhat like the Volvo XC90 headlights.

As I said elsewhere before, Toyota committed to the final exterior back in 2018, so it's been a done deal for awhile. All-new in every sense, after a long 15 year run, with multiple V6s replacing 3UR V8.

Lower trims come standard with TTV6, with optional hybrid TTV6 being standard on top trim levels.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I've always thought Toyota should've made a hybrid Tacoma/Tundra 5 years ago.

Fortify the V6 setup from the Highlander hybrid and you have a perfect fleet truck.
100% agreed i am schocked they waited so long. My guess is that the system the Highlander uses (seperate motors per each rear wheel) is hard to package for a pickup though.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I've seen it and the 2022 Tundra looks very interesting. Too bad a lot of people played obtuse and pretended as if they didn't realize these were mules wearing the new front end and rear, but not whole vehicle. @TangoRed needs to PM me, I've got some stuff to share of the new truck.

Styling adopts the cues of the initial 2007 Tundra at the rear, marrying it to newer 2013-2021 like tailgate stamping and upfront looks somewhat like the Volvo XC90 headlights.

As I said elsewhere before, Toyota committed to the final exterior back in 2018, so it's been a done deal for awhile. All-new in every sense, after a long 15 year run, with multiple V6s replacing 3UR V8.

Lower trims come standard with TTV6, with optional hybrid TTV6 being standard on top trim levels.
PM? Spill it here :p

1 - 20 of 51 Posts