VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23,270 Posts
I believe I recently saw that they basically made a TRD-Offroad trim that's 2wd. Confusing. But... even more shocking is the prices these things are selling for. I used to see real TRD-offroads go for high 30's out the door. Now that's like mid to high 40's.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I believe I recently saw that they basically made a TRD-Offroad trim that's 2wd. Confusing. But... even more shocking is the prices these things are selling for. I used to see real TRD-offroads go for high 30's out the door. Now that's like mid to high 40's.
My dad saw a used one that was 4 years old with 50k miles go for $41k at auction the other day. He was like didn't you pay 37k for your trail premium new? I did.

·
Registered
2015 VW GTI
1,642 Posts
This is how Toyota updates their vehicles...let’s use a hood from a different model, maybe color match the plastic...at this rate new 4Runner will be out in 2032 and it may still come with 5 speed auto and same engine.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Thought thread was a joke as it looks more like a pre refresh 2012 with the toned down front grille/fascia

I believe they are indeed 2012 wheels

·
Premium Member
12,953 Posts
This is how Toyota updates their vehicles...let’s use a hood from a different model, maybe color match the plastic...at this rate new 4Runner will be out in 2032 and it may still come with 5 speed auto and same engine.
They sold around 130K 4Runners in the US last year, of a model first released in 2010 and refreshed in 2014. Not bad, and they're on track to sell about the same in 2021. Anyhow, the 6th gen is around the corner. Fwiw, it won't be build in Japan, and will be available as a hybrid.

·
Registered
2015 VW GTI
1,642 Posts
They sold around 130K 4Runners in the US last year, of a model first released in 2010 and refreshed in 2014. Not bad, and they're on track to sell about the same in 2021. Anyhow, the 6th gen is around the corner. Fwiw, it won't be build in Japan, and will be available as a hybrid.
I don’t doubt the sales numbers, I was looking at one at some point, just pointing out the Toyota philosophy...they stretch it out as long as possible, all the engineering, tooling, factory setup costs have been long paid off and they‘ve been milking this cash cow for some time now.
Where will the new one be built, US, Mexico?

·
Premium Member
12,953 Posts
I don’t doubt the sales numbers, I was looking at one at some point, just pointing out the Toyota philosophy...they stretch it out as long as possible, all the engineering, tooling, factory setup costs have been long paid off and they‘ve been milking this cash cow for some time now.
Where will the new one be built, US, Mexico?
Not sure, but they've said North America, either here (USA) or Mexico.

·
Goes in two directions
'14 RAV4Runner, '13 500 Abarth Pastabox, '20 Corolla Smurf Edition
3,633 Posts
Wife has been coyly suggesting a TRD Pro for a while now. Enough that I put some research into it back in April and we rented one for a weekend.

For a design that is now ELEVEN years old, I have yet to find one that isn't selling above MSRP here. It's archaic and largely unrefined but holy hell has Toyota found their base with it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
From RAVatar: "For a design that is now ELEVEN years old, I have yet to find one that isn't selling above MSRP here. It's archaic and largely unrefined but holy hell has Toyota found their base with it."

It's possibly the only answer to the following question: What are the truly reliable mid-sized "real" SUV's (my definition is high/low range transfer case at minimum) on the market today?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Wife has been coyly suggesting a TRD Pro for a while now. Enough that I put some research into it back in April and we rented one for a weekend.

For a design that is now ELEVEN years old, I have yet to find one that isn't selling above MSRP here. It's archaic and largely unrefined but holy hell has Toyota found their base with it.
Skip the TRD Pro. You can get a TRD Off-road which is near enough the same thing minus a couple fancy bolt ons, and in normal times dealers deal on them.

·
Premium Member
12,953 Posts
It's archaic and largely unrefined but holy hell has Toyota found their base with it."

It's possibly the only answer to the following question: What are the truly reliable mid-sized "real" SUV's (my definition is high/low range transfer case at minimum) on the market today?
We bought ours with 88k miles, and have put on another 30K miles, and with the exception of a few blemishes on the interior, it looks, feels, and drives like a brand new truck. it has KDSS, so on-road manners are actually really good, even better now with Bilsteins shocks and stiffer front springs. I added the T9 aftermarket head unit which looks like an OEM unit, which adds a 9" screen and Apple CarPlay. That makes it feels much more modern than it really is. Obviously the last two models years have had that from the factory, albeit with a smaller screen. It drives quite well. Not exactly comfortable like a CUV would be, but nor is it uncomfortable. I can see why it still sells, as it does most everything well. The biggest drawback is it gets poor fuel economy, which isn't surprising given the 5AT. Anything over 65 mph and you're under 20 mpg.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts