VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
This thing has been out for as long as the previous two generations combined.
Current 4Runner was launched in November 2009, whereas they launched this in October 2002 and this one below, in January 1996 as a 1996 model. Combined, it's not there yet at exactly 11 1/2 years. as those ran 13 years and 10 months combined. Current gen will run exactly 13 years.

This is how Toyota updates their vehicles...let’s use a hood from a different model, maybe color match the plastic...at this rate new 4Runner will be out in 2032 and it may still come with 5 speed auto and same engine.
It has been discussed ad nauseam and verified well over a year ago, it is coming for MY 2023. There's no reason to throw that around, when the launch time frame is a defined entity, unlike maybe 5 years ago.

They sold around 130K 4Runners in the US last year, of a model first released in 2010 and refreshed in 2014. Not bad, and they're on track to sell about the same in 2021. Anyhow, the 6th gen is around the corner. Fwiw, it won't be build in Japan, and will be available as a hybrid.
This is not accurate, with the 3rd in bold being glaringly so. Factoring in sales performance, month to month, I recall that the current generation went on sale on November 23, 2009, followed by the major mid-cycle changes in September 2013. Pedantic, but important to get right, as the month by month and quarter by quarter changes mattered a hell of a lot.

The sales jump starting 6 months later in March 2014 made a HUGE difference over a nearly 2 year period ending in December 2015, which guaranteed the future of the nameplate. As of December 31, 2014, Toyota had no plans to ever redesign the 4Runner, while finishing a 2016 Tacoma for launch in just 8 months. Everyone expected a new 4Runner for 2017, but nope it wasn't in the cards.

Both 4Runner and Lexus GX were going to die by 2017, that those updates for 2014 were developed as a farewell during the awful sales years of 2010-12 Toyota has often (allegedly) been gunning to replace the 4Runner with the Highlander, since about 1997.
That decision has been reversed 3 times internally, upon making a case for the nameplate's future in 1998, 2006, and 2015. Global Prado seems to be the golden child, in never being at risk of cancellation and updated frequently. Per Akio's desires, Sequoia was due for cancellation as well (until US dealers begged in 2015 to not do it).​

In a shocking turn of events, buyers oddly responded to the facelifted 2014 very well, in spite of so many critics on the web (especially VWVortex) calling the changes "garish" and "predator face" upon reveal in April 2013. That sales renaissance prompted an internal rethink, while trying to brainstorm TNGA-F for the bigger utilities during the mid-2010s.

Development of a new 4Runner began by January 2017 for MY 2022, shifting to MY 2023 about 2 years ago due to some delays with TNGA-F.This is the last MY, until further notice (see chip shortage). Design of the next 4Runner was completed at the beginning of 2020 and will be available for the 2023 MY. Prototypes have been built already, but are kept privately at this time. You'll see them in camo in a few months (if not kept hidden longer into early next year).

It will not be built in North America for the time being, as there is no capacity at TMMTX San Antonio and TMMGT Guanajuato will cover Tacoma production only, as it hasn't been tooled for any additional production. Nor has Baja's TMMBC plant.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Current 4Runner was launched in November 2009, whereas they launched this in October 2002 and this one below, in January 1996 as a 1996 model. Combined, it's not there yet at exactly as those ran 13 years and 10 months combined. Current gen will run exactly 13 years.
Excuse me for not marking my calendar! Do you work for Toyota or something?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Development of a new 4Runner began by January 2017 for MY 2022, shifting to MY 2023 about 2 years ago due to some delays with TNGA-F.This is the last MY, until further notice (see chip shortage). Design of the next 4Runner was completed at the beginning of 2020 and will be available for the 2023 MY. Prototypes have been built already, but are kept privately at this time. You'll see them in camo in a few months (if not kept hidden longer into early next year).
It should be MY2024, production shows starting as Q1 of 24 at Guanajuato.

·
Premium Member
12,955 Posts
This is not accurate, with the 3rd in bold being glaringly so. Factoring in sales performance, month to month, I recall that the current generation went on sale on November 23, 2009, followed by the major mid-cycle changes in September 2013. Pedantic, but important to get right, as the month by month and quarter by quarter changes mattered a hell of a lot.

The sales jump starting 6 months later in March 2014 made a HUGE difference over a nearly 2 year period ending in December 2015, which guaranteed the future of the nameplate. As of December 31, 2014, Toyota had no plans to ever redesign the 4Runner, while finishing a 2016 Tacoma for launch in just 8 months. Everyone expected a new 4Runner for 2017, but nope it wasn't in the cards.
ok, first of all, calm down. lol. You're taking what I'm saying out of context. I replied to a poster who was discussing the long run of the existing model, and wondering how it wasn't yet redesigned. Whether the refresh was in late 2013 or not, the model year 2014 was when we can attribute that change. Anyhow, all I did was point out that the model sold quite well last year, and the few years before, and after the "great recession" ended and SUVs and off-roading/overlanding (or the desire to) became more mainstream, which coincided more or less with when the 5th gen was released.

As for not being made in Japan, my source, someone who works at Toyota, stated so to me a couple of years ago. If that's been changed since then, so be it. Maybe you have more up to date info.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
They sold around 130K 4Runners in the US last year, of a model first released in 2010 and refreshed in 2014. Not bad, and they're on track to sell about the same in 2021. Anyhow, the 6th gen is around the corner. Fwiw, it won't be build in Japan, and will be available as a hybrid.
If it wont be built in Japan , i doubt it will have the nutso resale of the current and past gen 4runners

Then again i think tacomas are us built and they have strong resale so who knows

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
37,245 Posts

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Time flies didnt know the predator front bumper debuted in 2014, thought it was like '16 or '17

The refresh made me like them alot more

·
Registered
829 Posts
As overpriced and old as these are it’s still my pick for SUV in its class. Not sure if the 4Runner is that good or the rest are that bad.

·
Registered
337 Posts
As overpriced and old as these are it’s still my pick for SUV in its class. Not sure if the 4Runner is that good or the rest are that bad.
4Runner is the only one until now (new entry is Bronco) for a mid size SUV that's BOF and IFS, it really drives decent, its easy to live with, it's no longer than current Camry (4880mm) where 4runner is (4830mm) , it sits 5 comfortably , 7 if you don't mind the last row to suffer, it probably can use a 6spd or 8spd transmission but its not terrible, ok mileage if you drive normal.

So overall there's really nothing like it right now on the market.

·
Registered
18,126 Posts
4Runner is the only one until now (new entry is Bronco) for a mid size SUV that's BOF and IFS, it really drives decent, its easy to live with, it's no longer than current Camry (4880mm) where 4runner is (4830mm) , it sits 5 comfortably , 7 if you don't mind the last row to suffer, it probably can use a 6spd or 8spd transmission but its not terrible, ok mileage if you drive normal.

There is...the GX. :)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

I think automakers drastically underestimate how much consumers like BOF vehicles. While consumers might not understand the difference between BOF and unibody, they seem to gravitate towards the way they drive, the way they feel going down the road and the way the vehicles look. You can almost always tell a BOF vehicle vs. a unibody vehicle simply by styling and appearance alone. They have more visual bulk/heft and generally sit higher.

·
Registered
337 Posts
There is...the GX. :)
Note, I mentioned mid-price, I've driven GX often and almost bought a new one, ultimately it was my wife's decision but there were some comparison notes:
  • GX460 is still relying on that 2007 headunit, its a $80k (Cdn) car that has no android auto or carplay
  • The V8 is very nice, I love it, but on day to day driving its not making it better , from a pure enthusiast point, I would've paid extra $10k if they offer that engine in my wife's car.
  • The tailgate opens the wrong way, I know there's support frame that's built into the body, but it's really annoying that it opens the wrong way and can't open tailgate window.
  • 3rd row is practically useless like in the 4runner , and it's a pain to remove.

As a used car, I think GX is great if you don't go off the beaten path often and want to look presentable, from functional point, 4runner makes more sense.

I think automakers drastically underestimate how much consumers like BOF vehicles. While consumers might not understand the difference between BOF and unibody, they seem to gravitate towards the way they drive, the way they feel going down the road and the way the vehicles look. You can almost always tell a BOF vehicle vs. a unibody vehicle simply by styling and appearance alone. They have more visual bulk/heft and generally sit higher.
There are more BOF BEV in the works, I personally can't wait to see more in production.

·
Registered
18,126 Posts
Note, I mentioned mid-price, I've driven GX often and almost bought a new one, ultimately it was my wife's decision but there were some comparison notes:
  • GX460 is still relying on that 2007 headunit, its a $80k (Cdn) car that has no android auto or carplay
  • The V8 is very nice, I love it, but on day to day driving its not making it better , from a pure enthusiast point, I would've paid extra $10k if they offer that engine in my wife's car.
  • The tailgate opens the wrong way, I know there's support frame that's built into the body, but it's really annoying that it opens the wrong way and can't open tailgate window.
  • 3rd row is practically useless like in the 4runner , and it's a pain to remove.

As a used car, I think GX is great if you don't go off the beaten path often and want to look presentable, from functional point, 4runner makes more sense.
CPO GX over TRD Pro was the route we picked. we bought a GX with 38k miles, that had been owned by a local doctor (never saw a foot of a gravel road), and it was $10k less than a new TRD Pro. The carplay thing can be fixed with an aftermarket solution for around $500.

agree the functionality of the 4R is higher and the seats are easier to remove in a 4R. The tailgate thing is less of a nuisance than you'd think - we also had an FJ and it was the the same way. The V8 is one of the best i've experienced, smooth and everything you want in a luxury truck.

In the BOF SUV market (now that the Tahoe has even gone to IRS), the 4R, GX, and Bronco are some of the last of the dinosaurs.

Reactions: Sporin

·
Registered
23,270 Posts
CPO GX over TRD Pro was the route we picked. we bought a GX with 38k miles, that had been owned by a local doctor (never saw a foot of a gravel road), and it was $10k less than a new TRD Pro. The carplay thing can be fixed with an aftermarket solution for around $500.

agree the functionality of the 4R is higher and the seats are easier to remove in a 4R. The tailgate thing is less of a nuisance than you'd think - we also had an FJ and it was the the same way. The V8 is one of the best i've experienced, smooth and everything you want in a luxury truck.

In the BOF SUV market (now that the Tahoe has even gone to IRS), the 4R, GX, and Bronco are some of the last of the dinosaurs.
You and a few others on the two major GX threads influenced me in buying a GX460. Wife had a first gen CX5 so it was a big step up. I really like the GX460 alot, to me it's way better than the 5th gen 4Runner in many ways. The tailgate doesn't bother me at all, especially with the access window, and honestly it's so easy to open it I have grown to like it. And for those that go all the way with modding and end up going with really big tires this means you could go aftermarket and mount the wheel to the door without having to do a full swingout hitch, or swingout rear bumper.

The positive experience with the GX460 meant that my 2wd 4th Gen 4runner was now lacking in capability... things fell into place and I sold my 4runner and picked up a slightly modded GX470 with 220k miles that was mostly dealer maintained with alot of mods/maintenance that I would have done myself. Dobinson IMS, Ironman bumper. TRDOR wheels with K02's. etc. The leather interior is so much nicer dealing with dog hair.

The garage now has 3 white vehicles and they get anywhere from 14-22mpg o_O. To be honest, we may sell the 460 at some point and get a hybrid or electric to offset the 470's horrible mileage.

Even though the GX470 has 90k miles more than my 4Runner, the GX has much better build quality, feels more solid, drives smoother, obviously a super solid drivetrain. I'm really enjoying it and other than the not-so-great MPGzzz it's a really great vehicle. Sure, I'd drive a 4Runner TRD Offroad... but their pricing is crazy.

·
Registered
18,126 Posts
Sure, I'd drive a 4Runner TRD Offroad... but their pricing is crazy.
Biggest issue I ran into, the TRD Pro didn't have 3rd row seats at all, not even as an option. So you were stuck with the mall crawler limited model to get all the lux features (heated/cooled seats for example), while still running up a 45k+ price tag.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts