VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
It should be MY2024, production shows starting as Q1 of 24 at Guanajuato.
Ughhhh... and correct you are based on what I also just confirmed over the last week...:( I've messed up on ignoring that tidbit and thinking information from a year ago wouldn't change. In fact not only that, but there's more to this too with other models.

My guy at CALTY saw the clay proposal for what is the next 4Runner 15-16 months ago and said it was pretty much done (final selection stage), which is 4 years out from Q1 2024. Toyota keeps it closer to under 3 years from that point to market launch, so I can only wonder what happened. Doesn't make sense that the final design would be set 4 years ahead.

ok, first of all, calm down. lol. You're taking what I'm saying out of context. I replied to a poster who was discussing the long run of the existing model, and wondering how it wasn't yet redesigned. Whether the refresh was in late 2013 or not, the model year 2014 was when we can attribute that change. Anyhow, all I did was point out that the model sold quite well last year, and the few years before, and after the "great recession" ended and SUVs and off-roading/overlanding (or the desire to) became more mainstream, which coincided more or less with when the 5th gen was released.

As for not being made in Japan, my source, someone who works at Toyota, stated so to me a couple of years ago. If that's been changed since then, so be it. Maybe you have more up to date info.
I'm calm, but your observation is understandable and the last sentence is well stated. Now as for the bold, I apologize. Seems like what I keep ignoring, is confirmed. The next 4Runner will join TMMGT in Guanajuato. Mysteriously enough as well, Prado has been delayed by a year and no longer late 2022.

I similarly learned in 2016-2017, that Cambridge, Ontario would manufacture the next Lexus NX. Toyota barely went public with that information in April 2019 about Canadian NX production, yet I had that info for 3 years prior and turned out to be right, like you are in this case.

Toyota to produce Lexus NX at Canada plant

Same as my learning about the new TNGA-F frame in October 2016, which just debuted today officially on J300 Land Cruiser (700B Program). Your source adequately informed you, despite my being willfully obtuse and wanting more intel before I accepted it. I often chalked it off to stupid 3rd party forecasts. Again, I am sorry about that arrogant mistake of mine. This was actually mentioned 4 years ago in fact, but felt speculative at the time.

Toyota/Mazda JV Shakes Up NAFTA Production Footprint
Analyst: Toyota 4Runner, the SUV likely to build in Guanajuato - MEXICONOW

Unlike the Tacoma shift to TMMGT, which I immediately accepted, I guess I just ignored it as speculative and not concrete.

I believe they stopped building them in Texas and moved the taco stand to its motherland south of the border.
That will happen, but the process is still underway? 2021MY production ended 10 days ago, but TMMTX is still producing Tacomas for the 2022MY starting August 2, 2021 I believe. I'll have to confirm that though. Sequoia trial runs should be starting by the end of the year, barring delays. I know for the 2018 Camry, they started 10 months before June 2017 Job 1 in August 2016.

It looks like they’ll all be made in Mexico now. Mine was.
MY 2022 production is scheduled to start August 2, 2021 I believe, but TMMTX might continue producing them through at least December 2021. Not 100% on that, but that's what I remember the plan being. Gradually phase out Tacoma production by the end of 2021, until complete switchover to TNGA-F.

I also think the GX will be the last with V8 in the Toyota SUV line up, I recall the new gen should be 2023MY.
Maybe not actually, because I had dismissed LX 600 as a V35A-FXS TTV6 hybrid, but some have claimed LX will have V8 power as well. So far VJA310, is the LX 600. The V35A-FTS powered TTV6 Land Cruiser 300 is VJA300.

As for the 150-associated replacements in 4Runner, GX and Prado, this jumped out at me and since I do not work for Toyota and asked all my midsize TNGA-F related questions last year, I have to say this echoes the same sentiment on the Prado front. My info wasn't up to date in terms of 2021 on the midsized replacements. My Lexus knowledge and that of anything international at this point, seems to just run a bit thinner. GX was MY 2023 last time I checked, but I don't understand what's the case with Prado.

motoring.com.au/new-toyota-prado-delayed-until-2024-129026/

·
Registered
Far East GLI
1,437 Posts
MY 2022 production is scheduled to start August 2, 2021 I believe, but TMMTX might continue producing them through at least December 2021. Not 100% on that, but that's what I remember the plan being. Gradually phase out Tacoma production by the end of 2021, until complete switchover to TNGA-F.
I just checked a local dealer's inventory, and yes, there are a few Texas produced units, but the vast majority of Tacos on the lots I see are TMMBC. TMMTX Tacos are mostly base SR5s from what I've seen casually.

·
Registered
18,126 Posts
The delta between a limited and a GX isn’t much. I’d rather have a base GX vs a limited.
exact choice i made. a CPO GX was 10k cheaper than a brand new limited.

Reactions: Sporin

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ughhhh... and correct you are based on what I also just confirmed over the last week...:( I've messed up on ignoring that tidbit and thinking information from a year ago wouldn't change. In fact not only that, but there's more to this too with other models.

My guy at CALTY saw the clay proposal for what is the next 4Runner 15-16 months ago and said it was pretty much done (final selection stage), which is 4 years out from Q1 2024. Toyota keeps it closer to under 3 years from that point to market launch, so I can only wonder what happened. Doesn't make sense that the final design would be set 4 years ahead.
I think has to do with drivetrain, again, I don't work for them but just in the supply chain biz, last I heard the 4cyl hybrid set up is being push to have full EV function, which it wasn't in the beginning.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Well isn't this an egg on face moment for you. Next time think twice before questioning me, bud.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well isn't this an egg on face moment for you. Next time think twice before questioning me, bud.
1995 to 2009 is 14 years against November 23, 2009 to June 2, 2021, so replying in this respect is rather childish (as expected), as nothing you stated was even correct nor provided any real insight comparatively. Just off the cuff criticism (typical online/here), lacking objective perspective or foundation. If vwpiloto or anyone that referenced Mexico made that comment, it would be more warranted. The current model has literally been in production for less than 12 years. It will be just about equal at the end, although to the preceding two combined.

Perhaps it's good for you to not accuse a company of keeping a product longer than its two previous generations, when they haven't even done so as of the present? Even so, it all evens out. In reality, Toyota better hope sales do not collapse over the next 2.5 years, from being extremely obsolete post-2022. A lot of their buyers expected a new product in over a year, but to make them wait 2.5 years is asking too much.

Newest Bronco comes to mind and all the money poured into it, to ensure a high quality launch and diverse customer base, with high conquest sales.

Working for a rival, I won't be on-stream with quarter-by-quarter product planning changes at Toyota, one of which warranted an 18 month delay and stated what I actually knew to be correct, as of 12-17 months ago regarding that vehicle. I haven't heard anything from you on that front, other than snarky complaints, so much for egg on the face.

The earliest information regarding modular TNGA-F came publicly to surface ironically via my own online statements 5 years before media even caught on years later and barely debuted this past Wednesday, so I'm just fine over here and so is my track record. Not to mention many others. From the LS 500 being really a TTV6 and not their 2UR-GSE V8, backtracking on GS demise, to missing this change in 4Runner plans, I have my mistakes like anyone else.

I don't work for Toyota nor have I in any capacity for more than a decade, but I generally stay on top of their product planning movements for both personal and professional reasons. As I do many others. I will only ask so many questions to Toyota employees & associated parties I know, as it gets to be invasive beyond a point and sometimes plain cringeworthy. I don't have to comment on such matters publicly, when PMing relevant parties simply does the job, while everyone else stays in dark.

I tend to LOL at your tongue in cheek comments while lurking, but IDK about this mess I'm reading now.

Good day, not really your bud (nor that of anyone particularly online for privacy risk concerns).

I just checked a local dealer's inventory, and yes, there are a few Texas produced units, but the vast majority of Tacos on the lots I see are TMMBC. TMMTX Tacos are mostly base SR5s from what I've seen casually.
Those were definitely built in April or May, so those can't be a good measure unfortunately as to whether production is solely sourced from TMMGT now or TMMBC. It's really the 2022 MY that will tell us, where production is solely based. If no "5T" VIN prefix builds surface by September or October and it's only "3T", then Texas production is 100% done for. TMMGT is pretty state of the art with HQ awards, so that counts for something. They build 6MTs, so the tooling has been replicated or transferred thankfully, but for 2024 will become 100% automatic transmission only. Thank you for that information BTW.

I think has to do with drivetrain, again, I don't work for them but just in the supply chain biz, last I heard the 4cyl hybrid set up is being push to have full EV function, which it wasn't in the beginning.
This changes a lot, but very good information. Based in Ontario I imagine? I admit once I learned what I did a year ago, I didn't really look any further on the 4Runner until recently and then this of course, also popped out at me. This is somewhat similar to how the Tundra got delayed by 1 model year, a few years ago. Allegedly in relation to the THS. Thank you.🍻

That being said, kicking the can further down the road was just not a good strategy, as another facelift for 2020 would allowed for this to run 4 year cycle versus the mild changes it received instead. These internal delays keep adding up...

·
Registered
337 Posts
This changes a lot, but very good information. Based in Ontario I imagine? I admit once I learned what I did a year ago, I didn't really look any further on the 4Runner until recently and then this of course, also popped out at me. This is somewhat similar to how the Tundra got delayed by 1 model year, a few years ago. Allegedly in relation to the THS. Thank you.🍻

That being said, kicking the can further down the road was just not a good strategy, as another facelift for 2020 would allowed for this to run 4 year cycle versus the mild changes it received instead. These internal delays keep adding up...
As funny as it sounds, the Ram 1500 changed a lot of things, when it came out in 2018 (can you believe that?) I recall Ford literately told their interior department go back to the drawing board, the toolings were finished for the dash and they started from scratch, GM was too late, but they were able to make changes to the SUV program, which now that dash will be on the 2022MY update, Toyota also took notice at it, I was so curious about the 5th gen Ram 1500 that I went out and bought a Rebel, the team deserves all the praise they can get.

Also the pandemic was a surprise to them, they knew 4runner was picking up in popularity, but they just didn't realize how popular it was getting, they sold 130k of them last year, if there was no shut down at the Tahara plant, they would've easily sold 150k which would've been the best year ever, and I can understand why they want to let this generation run a bit longer, we bought one.

·
Registered
375 Posts
exact choice i made. a CPO GX was 10k cheaper than a brand new limited.
I've owned a GX470 and put 100k miles on it (thanks to TCL reco). Also owned a T4R TRD ORP. Both great. The achilles heel for me in the T4R was the anemic v6 and lazy throttle. Now sprint booster has a solution that would probably take care of that.

The CPO GX460 vs new t4R question is a great one. The tricky bit for me is that a Limited 4R gives you leather whereas you've got to go up a ways w/the GX460 for leather. Though the vinyl is pretty nice. If I bought another 4R it would probably be a limited for the full time AWD. At the end of the day though my money might go back to a lexus. That v8...

·
Registered
18,126 Posts
I've owned a GX470 and put 100k miles on it (thanks to TCL reco). Also owned a T4R TRD ORP. Both great. The achilles heel for me in the T4R was the anemic v6 and lazy throttle. Now sprint booster has a solution that would probably take care of that.

The CPO GX460 vs new t4R question is a great one. The tricky bit for me is that a Limited 4R gives you leather whereas you've got to go up a ways w/the GX460 for leather. Though the vinyl is pretty nice. If I bought another 4R it would probably be a limited for the full time AWD. At the end of the day though my money might go back to a lexus. That v8...
our GX is a top trim, so it's got Levinson and the semi-aniline leather, it's super nice/comfy. i still think heads up it's a better deal between the 4R limited and the CPO GX (particularly in the past when the GX's were significantly discounted CPO).

·
Registered
375 Posts
our GX is a top trim, so it's got Levinson and the semi-aniline leather, it's super nice/comfy. i still think heads up it's a better deal between the 4R limited and the CPO GX (particularly in the past when the GX's were significantly discounted CPO).
Agreed. The top trims are tough to find CPO around here. Heck, anything is tough to find CPO around here right now :)

41 - 56 of 56 Posts