VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
strange that the RS's arent all DSGs across the board...wonder if its a power limitation or something
Part of the problem (if you can call it that) is the ZF 8 speed is so great, and so plug-and-play with medium and larger cars.

I seriously think we're going to see books and case studies on the ZF8. It's the 350 small block of automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
19,556 Posts
I have dynamic plus and have both 245 square 18 and 235 square 19. To be fair I don't have ps4s which would totally change the grip. I just don't think the suspension in this gen is anywhere close to the level of refinement in newer cars (suspension technology has really advanced in the past 6 years). Also, the car does understeer and could be way more playful.
All you're doing by going square is adding understeer. Go back to staggered.

·
Registered
'19 RS3; '21 rav4 prime
2,325 Posts
All you're doing by going square is adding understeer. Go back to staggered.
Sure, I'm aware of that. 99% of owners ditch the stagger and run square for ease of tire buying and rotations. 255/30/19? stupid. I actually have a big problem with manufacturers continuing to engineer their cars to run these absurd street tire setups in order to meet 'performance' goals. Maybe just make the actual suspension better - which I'm pretty sure they did in the new one! Another example - honda putting 20's on the type r - wtf. That said, I don't care enough about the understeer to run a staggered setup at this point for several reasons. I bought it this way, and don't drive at the limit to actually care so much about paying $1000 for tires when I'm getting rid of the car.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
19,556 Posts
Sure, I'm aware of that. 99% of owners ditch the stagger and run square for ease of tire buying and rotations. 255/30/19? stupid. I actually have a big problem with manufacturers continuing to engineer their cars to run these absurd street tire setups in order to meet 'performance' goals. Maybe just make the actual suspension better - which I'm pretty sure they did in the new one! Another example - honda putting 20's on the type r - wtf. That said, I don't care enough about the understeer to run a staggered setup at this point for several reasons. I bought it this way, and don't drive at the limit to actually care so much about paying $1000 for tires when I'm getting rid of the car.
The new one also has a staggered setup.

All I'm saying is don't make something worse on purpose and then complain about it (not you specifically).

161 - 166 of 166 Posts