VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Golf R Oryx White Pearl
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I couldn’t help but notice when watching a recent video of the final-production versions of the 2022 GTI/Golf R, how the Auto Hold button has been removed and a blank button has been placed there instead. In the pre-production models shown at the Detroit Auto Show, the Auto Hold button was present.

For those who might not know, Auto Hold (different from Hill Hold) is a feature that will hold the vehicle still by keeping the brakes applied (and brake lights stay on), even after you take your foot off the brake. Very useful at long stop lights or in drive-thrus. It will also automatically apply the parking brake every time you turn off the car or open the driver’s door.

My ‘19 Golf R does have this button/feature from the factory, but every other North American VW model in recent years has a blank button placed there instead. Does anyone have any idea why they consistently remove this feature from US model cars? Seems like a very odd omission. Photos of pre-production and final production console shown below.
Gear shift Car Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car
Car Vehicle Gear shift Plant Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS | 2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster | 2019 VW Golf SE | 1993 VW Corrado SLC
6,452 Posts
Can't provide an explanation, but have noticed the same thing, and I think it's regrettable. Good feature, as you said - I had a 19R too. Maybe it's a cost-cutting move.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lots of cost cutting went into the design of the MK8 R. Interior trim looks to be of cheaper quality. More plastic. The engine cover doesn't even have a VW logo on it.

They put the money where people want to see it. The flashy stuff, performance, etc. Shame this generation is going to be the most expensive yet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One word: Lawyers.
But why though? This feature isn’t illegal in the US. Other car manufacturers including BMW, Mercedes, Honda, Nissan, even Toyota include this feature with their cars, in our market. But, excluding the mk7/7.5 Golf R, VW always intentionally removes it. I’ve noticed that it’s even removed across the Audi lineup in the US. 🤔

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't provide an explanation, but have noticed the same thing, and I think it's regrettable. Good feature, as you said - I had a 19R too. Maybe it's a cost-cutting move.
If they wanted to cut cost, they should have removed the heated rear seats, not Auto Hold, lol.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a post from Megan Closset (VW Product manager for Golf) about why Auto Hold was removed… US has the dumbest regulations.
Font Parallel Terrestrial plant Number Screenshot

·
Registered
187 Posts
I found a post from Megan Closset (VW Product manager for Golf) about why Auto Hold was removed… US has the dumbest regulations.
View attachment 132310
Isn't the instrument cluster just a display? That means they can make the "notification light" whatever color they want (that's legal in US) by simple software changes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This explanation doesn't make sense. Isn't the instrument cluster fully digital? That means they can make the "notification light" whatever color they want (that's legal in US) by simple software changes.
After doing further research, apparently in the US, the instrument cluster needs to say something along of lines of “AUTO HOLD” “AUTO H” “BRAKE HOLD” “HOLD”, to indicate that auto hold is on. Every other car manufacturer does this, but in all of Volkswagen Group cars (even in Europe), they instead throw up a green “(P)” in the instrument cluster (ours would say “PARK”) - which doesn’t meet our regulations, and explains why every other car manufacturer in the US has this feature expect VW/Audi. The MK7/7.5 Golf R seems to have slipped through this somehow, because there is no indication at all when Auto Hold is active in that car. It seems like they just don’t want to invest the time in developing this software specifically for our cars, so instead, it just gets left out. Disappointing.

·
Registered
2019 VW Golf R in mocha anthracite
5 Posts
Ugh...that's a huge step backward. I use "auto hold" in my 2022 Golf R all the time, especially since I have manual transmission. What a loss, not to mention a really bad decision.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m confused…my ‘19 GTI does hill hold automatically and doesn’t have a button. This is now gone completely, button or not?
Hill Hold & Auto hold are two different things. MK7 GTI had Hill hold, but not Auto hold. MK7 Golf R had both hill hold & auto hold.

Hill Hold holds the brakes for a few seconds to prevent rollback on a hill - and only works if you’re on a hill. The MK8’s do still have this feature.

Auto Hold keeps the brakes applied and the rear brake lights illuminated indefinitely (but it will automatically switch over to parking brake after about 15 minutes to prevent the abs from becoming overheated) when you take your foot off the brake, regardless of incline. It’s kind of like cruise control, but for brakes.
I’m confused…my ‘19 GTI does hill hold automatically and doesn’t have a button. This is now gone completely, button or not?

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is horrible. VW needs to stop with this GARBAGE. Even cheap economy cars have this feature now. I don't understand it at all. They used to include auto-hold in their cars when the feature was new. Go look at the early Mk1 tiguans, they all have auto-hold and then a few years later it's suddenly gone.
View attachment 132310
Yeah this seems like a total BS reason to me honestly. The gauge cluster for the US market is already different on the MK7 and auto-hold was present on the MK7 R and on the MK8 it's a screen. You're telling me they couldn't change the color of the indicator for the US market? Highly doubtful.

Heres a video from 10 years ago when VW had no problem including this feature in all their cars for some reason:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is horrible. VW needs to stop with this GARBAGE. Even cheap economy cars have this feature now. I don't understand it at all. They used to include auto-hold in their cars when the feature was new. Go look at the early Mk1 tiguans, they all have auto-hold and then a few years later it's suddenly gone.

Yeah this seems like a total BS reason to me honestly. The gauge cluster for the US market is already different on the MK7 and auto-hold was present on the MK7 R and on the MK8 it's a screen. You're telling me they couldn't change the color of the indicator for the US market? Highly doubtful.

Heres a video from 10 years ago when VW had no problem including this feature in all their cars for some reason:
I agree. And also, they’ve always designed a special versions of their instrument cluster to meet our regulations (ex. ours says “PARK” instead of “(P)” for the parking brake, and “BRAKE” instead of “!” for the ABS). So there’s absolutely no excuse as to why this can’t be done for the auto hold cluster light as well - regardless of whether or not it’s a digital cluster.

And yes, I remember the old VW’s with an electronic brake had this feature, before it started to silently disappear around 2012. Then the 2015-2019 Golf R had it, which I think was an oversight - especially considering how the 2015-19 e-Golf also had it removed, but it was built in the same factory and had the same console as the R.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch
934 Posts
Honestly, as much as I love VW's (I have owned 2011 Golf and Jetta and a 2015 Golf TDI), one of the main reasons I switched to Toyota, is all of the features that they pack into their cars. I was tired of VW stripping content and features out of the US models. My base Toyota Corolla hatch has full automatic led headlights and taillights, automatic high beams, adaptive cruise control all the way down to a complete stop, road sign assist, pedestrian and vehicle crash avoidance, it will maintain the center of the lane when using adaptive cruise control (it will hold the lane all the way through moderately tight turns as well) and has the auto brake hold, all for around $23,000.

While the Toyota won't handle anywhere near as well as the GTI or R, understand I was coming from a base Golf TDI which had a torsion beam rear suspension. The Corolla has independent rear suspension. I do miss the subtle styling though. My current car WILL NOT age as well as the Golf. In fact, I still think the MK4/5/6 Golfs look smart today even in base form.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hill Hold & Auto hold are two different things. MK7 GTI had Hill hold, but not Auto hold. MK7 Golf R had both hill hold & auto hold.

Hill Hold holds the brakes for a few seconds to prevent rollback on a hill - and only works if you’re on a hill. The MK8’s do still have this feature.

Auto Hold keeps the brakes applied and the rear brake lights illuminated indefinitely (but it will automatically switch over to parking brake after about 15 minutes to prevent the abs from becoming overheated) when you take your foot off the brake, regardless of incline. It’s kind of like cruise control, but for brakes.
Interesting, didn’t realize there were 2 different holds, only thought it was hill hold. I guess for some people too much to keep their foot on the brake at the stoplight?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting, didn’t realize there were 2 different holds, only thought it was hill hold. I guess for some people too much to keep their foot on the brake at the stoplight?
It’s just a convenience feature, just like cruise control or one-touch windows. Not a necessity, but definitely nice to have.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts