VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

41 - 60 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
23,482 Posts
Thus far, the Civic floor pan and rear suspension have never been designed to accommodate all-wheel-drive. (And yes, a CR-V started out as a Civic, but it's not the same underneath.) The current Accord is the same situation. There's nowhere for a drive shaft to be routed through, and there's nowhere allocated for half-shafts or final drive in the rear suspension module. They've opted for having more passenger and cargo space instead - by not having to protect space for the all-wheel-drive components.
Wasn't this also the case with the Camry/Avalon? But Toyota said:

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Certainly it can be done (by changing a bunch of stuff - and a model-change is an opportunity to do that). It remains to be seen if they actually will do that.

If you make the design changes necessary to accommodate all-wheel-drive, there's compromises to packaging and weight that affect the versions without all-wheel-drive, and Honda has been reluctant to do that thus far.

And in no way am I saying it wouldn't be awesome if they did. A Civic Type-R hatch with SH-AWD would be pretty darn awesome.

Would it be worth the tradeoff of a little more weight and a little less fuel tank capacity and a little less rear seat headroom and a little less foot-well space for the center passenger in the back seat of every Civic including the run-of-the-mill models in order to be able to do that? Answering that is above my pay grade.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Certainly it can be done (by changing a bunch of stuff - and a model-change is an opportunity to do that). It remains to be seen if they actually will do that.

If you make the design changes necessary to accommodate all-wheel-drive, there's compromises to packaging and weight that affect the versions without all-wheel-drive, and Honda has been reluctant to do that thus far.

And in no way am I saying it wouldn't be awesome if they did. A Civic Type-R hatch with SH-AWD would be pretty darn awesome.

Would it be worth the tradeoff of a little more weight and a little less fuel tank capacity and a little less rear seat headroom and a little less foot-well space for the center passenger in the back seat of every Civic including the run-of-the-mill models in order to be able to do that? Answering that is above my pay grade.
Imo Honda is a traditionalist. Civic’s have never been AWD (correct me if Im wrong). Which is why they stuck with FWD for the CTR. Now if this turns out to be an Acura variant then I can see them working AWD into it. But now it’s far too early to speculate.

·
Registered
24,966 Posts
Imo Honda is a traditionalist. Civic’s have never been AWD (correct me if Im wrong). Which is why they stuck with FWD for the CTR. Now if this turns out to be an Acura variant then I can see them working AWD into it. But now it’s far too early to speculate.
Civic was available with AWD for 2 generations until the CR-V came along and ruined everything... :D

Also, Honda has done many 4WD or AWD cars over the years. Accord was available with AWD as recently as 5 years ago (how did TCL forget the Crossturd already?)

Not to mention, Integra itself was sold with optional AWD: https://imgur.com/a/MwLJenO#RRKynWX

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Ah yes, the Wagovan. In Honda's mind, the CR-V took the place of that. And it was a very different bodyshell from the standard Civic hatchback - basically a different car, sharing a few bits and pieces and a piece of the name.

The current Civic's rear subframe, links, and spindles make no allowance for routing half-shafts to the rear wheels. I may find out in a couple of weeks whether they're redesigning stuff underneath in a way that would allow space for a rear diff and halfshafts. Unfortunately, that will also come part-and-parcel with a NDA, so after I find out, you'll just have to wait :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ah yes, the Wagovan. In Honda's mind, the CR-V took the place of that. And it was a very different bodyshell from the standard Civic hatchback - basically a different car, sharing a few bits and pieces and a piece of the name.

The current Civic's rear subframe, links, and spindles make no allowance for routing half-shafts to the rear wheels. I may find out in a couple of weeks whether they're redesigning stuff underneath in a way that would allow space for a rear diff and halfshafts. Unfortunately, that will also come part-and-parcel with a NDA, so after I find out, you'll just have to wait :D
Or you could come back and tell us if you've signed an NDA (iirc that's allowed) or not. We'll do the rest

:D

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Regular Civics are ok in darker colors. The navy/royal blue ones almost look decent

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Hmm seems outside of the crappy 7th gen, it seems like two generations of civic share an evolutionary design before a big design change.

3rd -> 4th Gen
5th -> 6th Gen
8th -> 9th Gen
10th -> 11th gen?

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Hmm seems outside of the crappy 7th gen, it seems like two generations of civic share an evolutionary design before a big design change.

3rd -> 4th Gen
5th -> 6th Gen
8th -> 9th Gen
10th -> 11th gen?
Yea I think I said as much on Reddit

10th gen platform is good enough that they could probably run it for 3-4 generations honestly.

And I think the 3rd gen was unrelated to the 4th gen. The 4th gen carried through the 6th.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Yea I think I said as much on Reddit

10th gen platform is good enough that they could probably run it for 3-4 generations honestly.

And I think the 3rd gen was unrelated to the 4th gen. The 4th gen carried through the 6th.
I think this post pertained mostly to the outside appearance as opposed to the underpinnings.

3rd gen (1984-1987) and 4th gen (1988 - 1991) the base 2 door hatchback (which was the most popular body style at the time) both had the long-roof vertical-tail overall shape and a front hood which sloped down to a slim grille opening above the bumper. "Same idea" even though the details of the styling were quite different, the 3rd gen had square edges and corners, and the 4th gen was more rounded off, but still, "same idea". Underneath, they were totally different. The 3rd gen had MacPherson front suspension and beam-axle rear, which was a one-generation design. The 4th gen brought double-wishbone front and multi-link independent rear, and yes, that general arrangement was kept through the next couple of generations even though the details of the bits and pieces changed with every single generation.

It's pretty apparent that the 11th gen will be "same idea" as 10th gen in terms of styling - potentially so close that most people won't recognise it as a new car.

I still don't know what the 11th gen looks like underneath - although when I find out, that's when I have to stop talking. I tend to suspect that not much will change - probably only details. There's not much wrong with the 10th gen in terms of its suspension design, aside from incompatibility with all-wheel-drive.

·
Registered
18,410 Posts

3rd -> 4th Gen
5th -> 6th Gen
8th -> 9th Gen
10th -> 11th gen?
Honda just lazy and try to save money.

41 - 60 of 254 Posts