VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

61 - 80 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Honda just lazy and try to save money.
Not really; they do full-model changes every 4 years with a mid-cycle refresh at the halfway point almost like clockwork whether they need it or not. Gen 1 ran longer (understandable), gens 6 and 7 ran 5 years each, gen 9 got its mid-cycle refresh early (only because marketing misjudged something with the 2012 model), but that's it. Personally I don't think they need to do this every 4 years. If gen 11 is going to be so visually similar to gen 10, why not just do a refresh rather than a full redesign? Mechanically, I don't see what is wrong with the gen 10 that warrants a full redesign. The gen 5 and 6 redesigns seemed pointless to me relative to what they had with gen 4 (and they were almost the same underneath).

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
I don't like the fake vents on the 10th-gen, either, but those need only a refresh of the bumper skin to remove, not a full redesign of the whole car.

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Honda just lazy and try to save money.
You have no idea what you're talking about. For starters it's stupid to make an all new platform every 4-5 years. Pretty much nobody does it. Ironically, Honda is the only company that has done it recently with the Accord. The 8th/9th/10th gens are all completely unrelated outside of engines. The current platform is good enough to go for 3 or even 4 generations IMO.

·
Registered
34,794 Posts
I see 2020 Sentra with a Civic face. :confused:
Most magazine "renderings" are actually just an existing car with other elements photoshopped onto it. In fact I'm not sure I've ever seen a magazine rendering that's an actual 3D model rendering, they're always just artist impressions via photoshopping existing pictures.

·
Registered
28,907 Posts
Most magazine "renderings" are actually just an existing car with other elements photoshopped onto it. In fact I'm not sure I've ever seen a magazine rendering that's an actual 3D model rendering, they're always just artist impressions via photoshopping existing pictures.
I understand "render" is a shot in the dark, but can somebody pchop a Sentra V-Motion grill on that thing, just for fun?

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Looks nothing like the Sentra. Civic has a fastback shape, Sentra is still very upright.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Ah yes, the Wagovan. In Honda's mind, the CR-V took the place of that. And it was a very different bodyshell from the standard Civic hatchback - basically a different car, sharing a few bits and pieces and a piece of the name.

The current Civic's rear subframe, links, and spindles make no allowance for routing half-shafts to the rear wheels. I may find out in a couple of weeks whether they're redesigning stuff underneath in a way that would allow space for a rear diff and halfshafts. Unfortunately, that will also come part-and-parcel with a NDA, so after I find out, you'll just have to wait :D

No, it was just dumped in the US. Honda has had an AWD small car every year for the past 30 something years, Orthia/Partner then Fit/Jazz with other models riding off the same platform

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
I think this post pertained mostly to the outside appearance as opposed to the underpinnings.

3rd gen (1984-1987) and 4th gen (1988 - 1991) the base 2 door hatchback (which was the most popular body style at the time) both had the long-roof vertical-tail overall shape and a front hood which sloped down to a slim grille opening above the bumper. "Same idea" even though the details of the styling were quite different, the 3rd gen had square edges and corners, and the 4th gen was more rounded off, but still, "same idea". Underneath, they were totally different. The 3rd gen had MacPherson front suspension and beam-axle rear, which was a one-generation design. The 4th gen brought double-wishbone front and multi-link independent rear, and yes, that general arrangement was kept through the next couple of generations even though the details of the bits and pieces changed with every single generation.

It's pretty apparent that the 11th gen will be "same idea" as 10th gen in terms of styling - potentially so close that most people won't recognise it as a new car.

I still don't know what the 11th gen looks like underneath - although when I find out, that's when I have to stop talking. I tend to suspect that not much will change - probably only details. There's not much wrong with the 10th gen in terms of its suspension design, aside from incompatibility with all-wheel-drive.
Yep, there were several times I would see a 3rd gen hatchback or wagon and without quickly looking at it, think its a more common 4th gen civic. Rare site to see now-a-days, yet there are a few still driving around in the Tampa area. I thought the 3rd gen had a torsion bars up front and not MacPherson struts?

Im curious if the next gen is going to do a good job of keeping the weight down. Im still impressed how the 10th gen is as large as a 7th gen accord, but the weight is managed pretty well while still meeting safety requirements and having all the latest features on it.

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Yep, there were several times I would see a 3rd gen hatchback or wagon and without quickly looking at it, think its a more common 4th gen civic. Rare site to see now-a-days, yet there are a few still driving around in the Tampa area. I thought the 3rd gen had a torsion bars up front and not MacPherson struts?

Im curious if the next gen is going to do a good job of keeping the weight down. Im still impressed how the 10th gen is as large as a 7th gen accord, but the weight is managed pretty well while still meeting safety requirements and having all the latest features on it.
Automakers don't get enough credit for the value they deliver... a compact car today is roomier, faster, more fuel efficient and more refined than a midsizer from like 25 years ago.... while costing the same before inflation. I never get people who say cars are too expensive today.... in real money terms they've never been cheaper

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had a 10th gen Civic Si as a rental for a week while my car was in the shop and it really is a shame the car looks the way it does and it has a storied past with high revving NA motor.
My only gripes were the rev hang and how the seat back adjustment is one of those pull-lever types (not the rotary knobs on VW) that doesn't give any range of adjustment between 90 and 120 degrees.

Seating position is fantastic, shifter is nice and snappy, steering felt steady and fairly communicative for today's standards, etc. It's really a quick tune away from being all I could want in a sedate daily driver.

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Am I crazy or am I seeing some prestige gap?

61 - 80 of 254 Posts