VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a month of chasing/back and forth, it’s finally in our garage!

Put some spray sealant on from The Last Coat. Overcast here, so it looks ok. In the sun, it will dance. Those rims are a bear to clean. Going to work on paint correction in the next few days as the lot lizards must have used cotton, dirty, towels to dry it. Ugh. 🤣

Direct wired the V1 Gen2 this morning with no issues. Next up will be the spacers and snow tires Monday when ECS is back open.

Anyone found a wind/bug deflector for the 2022, yet?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice, Atlantic Blue, I also have the exact same color combo..

In my opinion, I would rather do a clear protection film for the hood (1/4) of it, rather than a deflector as it can also be noisy and turbulent at highway speeds and it doesn't look that great anyways, but that's just me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tired the “clear bra” before and could never get it installed well enough. Then had a pro do it and it was 90% and then turned yellow from the sun, despite it being a 3m product. Disappointing.

Not a huge fan of the guards, but with the dark color on the car it won’t stand out like it does on white. Never had noise issues with one before…

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
Beautiful vehicle!
I fell in love with Atlantic Blue the first time I saw it.
Congrats :)

I hesitated to post this, because I knew you wanted the best, but I opted for this:

After picking up two nasty rock chips on my first long highway drive, I knew I needed something.
(be forewarned, the primer under the Blue is either white or light grey and BEAMS through if something breaks the paint).
I spent 4+ days with www.touchupdirect products.
I am fairly knowledgeable in this area, and I got the spots "near" perfect, but I don't want to fix anymore.
(The very front of the hood doesn't have enough angle to it, so it takes near direct hits...)
I considered this:

But really didn't want it on the vehicle ALL the time.

Neither are the ultimate options, and for me, who doesn't make many long trips, the bra (which I modified for optimal attachment...tightness) was the best option.
I can install it and/or take it off in just a few minutes with zero stress.

There are other similar choices for the permanent plastic version, at twice the cost (or better).

Your choice....

Bob.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
To add to the above post, I have had a "bra set' on my previous vehicle for years.
I understand when they can and can't be used.
They are not for winter time (at all).
If they are on the vehicle and get wet, they need to be removed as soon as possible and dried, leaving any "bra", wet on the car for extended periods, can cause the paint to cloud.
(At least this was true with cars in the early 2000's, "maybe" vehicle painting has improved???)

I guess I'm trying to justify my choice, and explaining it.

I've never tried clear bra's or other alternatives...

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
I can, however, recommend these:

I ordered these with the first month of ownership, and they are AWESOME.
Perfect fit and require ZERO drilling and you can use the stock fenderwell hardware (if you choose, I did).

Ugh, I am just trying to help...sorry....

Bob.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Really appreciate the suggestions and your taking the time to post all of this!👍

I need to find one that fits a 2022. Quite the challenge so far😢

I spent the afternoon correcting the paint from the dealer installed scratches and marring. Awful under light! Ugh.

Meguiars 205 and a cut pad knocked them down. Followed with Sonus SFX2. Finish tomorrow with SFX3 and then a ceramic spray coating.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
Welcome :)

Nice to see another "anal" owner...lol!

For me, either you love cars, or you drive one.
It's a choice, and I get it.
I just "get" it.

Good Luck with your new "car"

Bob.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
As for 2022 hood fitment, I know the fenders and lights have changed, but I "don't" believe the hood has.
I would "think" that any option you choose from the 2018-up stuff available will work.
(when I bought the bra, the "helper" on the site told me it wouldn't fit my 21 [because they only listed up to the 20]).
It fit, no problem.

As always, I could be wrong, my wife tells me I am ALL the time...lol....

Bob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shumax- my brand new 22 has really bad marring from the factory also. Mostly up the passenger side “A” pillar to the roof and rear quarter panel. The driver’s side of car is fine. I have appointment next week with the dealer to see about correcting the paint issues.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shumax- my brand new 22 has really bad marring from the factory also. Mostly up the passenger side “A” pillar to the roof and rear quarter panel. The driver’s side of car is fine. I have appointment next week with the dealer to see about correcting the paint issues.
I was not happy with the lack of care they showed in prepping it. Not to spool you, but my experience is their “effort” to fix it will make it worse. With the labor pools low they will stick some novice in a rotary machine and halo up the paint in a big hurry!

I was not anticipating 6 hours of paint correction on a “new” vehicle, but I know it will be almost perfect when it’s done.

Good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As for 2022 hood fitment, I know the fenders and lights have changed, but I "don't" believe the hood has.
I would "think" that any option you choose from the 2018-up stuff available will work.
(when I bought the bra, the "helper" on the site told me it wouldn't fit my 21 [because they only listed up to the 20]).
It fit, no problem.

As always, I could be wrong, my wife tells me I am ALL the time...lol....

Bob.
I ended up ordering the black acrylic guard from the spot you suggested. Thanks again. 👍

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
It wasn't the factory that did it, it was the dealer idiots during delivery prep. The only way I buy cars now is off the truck still covered in plastic so I don't have to deal with buffing a brand new car to un**** the paint from the dealer. I've bought my last 4 or 5 this way, and haven't had to buff a single swirl out of a single one of them. They have all come from the factory absolutely flawless.

I was not happy with the lack of care they showed in prepping it. Not to spool you, but my experience is their “effort” to fix it will make it worse. With the labor pools low they will stick some novice in a rotary machine and halo up the paint in a big hurry!

I was not anticipating 6 hours of paint correction on a “new” vehicle, but I know it will be almost perfect when it’s done.

Good luck!
Ding ding ding, this guy gets it - I wouldn't take a car to a dealer for a paint correction if my life depended on it, they will put a rotary (which can do a lot of damage) in the hands of some 17 year old and he will go to town hologramming the piss out of the paint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We bought the car at night and it was raining, really couldn’t see the bad paint imperfections. I tried to clay bar/ compound on a small area today and didn’t make any improvement. This is what it looks like from the dealer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yea, I would take that back and show them under the light. They will agree to “fix” it but then u have to be sure they know what they are doing without making them mad. If they don’t? It will come out worse with holograms all over it. You have light surface scratches and micro marring going on. Not awful if the car were a few years old. New? It’s unacceptable.

In my case, I can tell they ran it through their brush car wash and dried with, likely, dirty towels. My scratches were not deep. Worst was from that dealer tag they slap on the back with a magnet. I actually had to wet sand that area and polish is back out. Brave, I know…! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It wasn't the factory that did it, it was the dealer idiots during delivery prep. The only way I buy cars now is off the truck still covered in plastic so I don't have to deal with buffing a brand new car to un**** the paint from the dealer. I've bought my last 4 or 5 this way, and haven't had to buff a single swirl out of a single one of them. They have all come from the factory absolutely flawless.

Ding ding ding, this guy gets it - I wouldn't take a car to a dealer for a paint correction if my life depended on it, they will put a rotary (which can do a lot of damage) in the hands of some 17 year old and he will go to town hologramming the piss out of the paint.
i wish I had thought of that - telling them to leave the wrappers on and no “prep.” Great idea!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I took delivery of my Atlantic Blue SE this week I noticed swirl marks too. Speaking of poor dealer prep, has anyone had car-net issues? My green light isn’t on and now have to take it back to service dept to get it activated.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts