VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE 2.0 TSI (NAR)
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2022 SE (NAR), just though its post 600mi breaking in period. Noticed very slght hood movement at about 100mph/160kph while on the autobahn this weekend. Barely noticable but visible when observing oncoming traffic's reflection. Has anyone else experienced this or learned how to adjust hood latch tension? I can't detect any play/movement with the hood closed.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
673 Posts
If we did 100mph ANYWHERE in the US, we would have more to worry about than hood movement...lol
Every law enforcement vehicle available would be happy to help us, after we were in jail, and our vehicle was impounded :)

Actually, I have had mine to 85mph and did not notice any movement (and happily didn't have to talk with any OSP officer ;) )

Actually anxious to see more replies...

Bob.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
673 Posts
Yes sir, I did.
The install reviews said "10-15 minutes", must have been by trained grease monkeys.
Mine took "a while" as I could not get the original mounting bolt to not cross thread.
I was trying to install it with the plastic tube (to the MAS) attached.
After a good deal of loosening, bruising and cussing (and REMOVING that tubing) it finally went in/on.
Also installed the Neuspeed intake...

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Auto part Vehicle

I love the look.
The slight increase in sound is pleasant.

Got some pushback from a VW engineer, but I've been running open air intakes for 20+ yrs. with zero issues.

Bob.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
673 Posts
Power? Hrmm. 184 stock HP. More air. Minimal.

However, it may be a placebo, but I seem to feel a little better throttle response, especially from a stop.

I didn't expect much, I think I got a little more than expected.
I LOVE the look, which is some of what "mods" are all about.
(and that big plastic monstrosity of an air box, now resides in my BASEMENT...lol)

Bob.

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SEL R-Line
171 Posts
The few times I have been going 80-100 in mine I have not noticed any discernible hood movement on my 22, granted I was more concerned to see where I needed to change lanes to keep my momentum and not really looking at the hood. Love how stable and isolated the car is at speed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1. One of the possibilities is that it is not the hood but hood "skin" fluctuation, possibly can be eliminated with extra dampening from within the engine bay.
2. Another option is that car is "floating" on the suspension at that speed there is definitely preload from the air stream. which looks like the hood is moving. It is not a theory, I had it on VW Caddy in 2012, as soon as you go faster than 150 km/h car started "detaching" from the surface, I definitely felt that there were "preload" on the coils which translated as "floating" feeling and all sorts of weird but fun driving experience, drove it up to 180 until the limiter hits).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The few times I have been going 80-100 in mine I have not noticed any discernible hood movement on my 22, granted I was more concerned to see where I needed to change lanes to keep my momentum and not really looking at the hood. Love how stable and isolated the car is at speed.
@O-Deer Tracks well at 160kph/100mph and loving the 8-speed keeping revs low. Looking forward to how it'll handle once I put some summer tread under it.

Finished the recommended break-in, but still putting gradually higher rev loads on just out of habit. The owner's manual didn't have a maximum speed and I'm not chasing it, but I'll be interested to see how it handles at 200kph/124mph. My passat variant (aka estate/wagon) hugged the road at 200kph like it was on a bobsled track, so I may get the Tig up to that to see how it handIes comparitively (once the summer tread is on).

@OhioSpyderman I plan on taking it to a nearby dealership and seeing if there's anything to adjust and let you kno.

Thought Montana still had no daytime speed limit. I do wonder if the highway there has similar pavement condition indices as German autobahns. Eisenhower brought back a great idea (the interstate) from his time here, but I cannot imagine the cost of building up the entire U.S. interstate system to support autobahn speed tolerances. And those highway patrol gents, they've been very understanding of my travel amnesia when back in the States on the occasions I honestly forgot to mind my speed (straight open roads for as far as the eye can see). Fellow Yankees who brought their Ms, Rs, AMGs, etc back to the States to live after having run them like they should be run on the autobahn - that's a sad country song waiting to be written (must include a verse dedicated to lack of passing lane disipline).

I unfortunately don't have an "R" (yet) and all the thrill I expect it provides, but the Tig's 8-speed at higher speeds makes for liberating and enjoyable drives (between construction zones). Noise isn't any more noticable than in a Passat and handling is better than in other higher set vehicles I've driven at those speeds.

Aside: Also found out the adaptive cruise control tops out at 150kph/93mph. It'll let you push beyond that manually, but won't hold it past 150kph/93mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1. One of the possibilities is that it is not the hood but hood "skin" fluctuation, possibly can be eliminated with extra dampening from within the engine bay.
2. Another option is that car is "floating" on the suspension at that speed there is definitely preload from the air stream. which looks like the hood is moving. It is not a theory, I had it on VW Caddy in 2012, as soon as you go faster than 150 km/h car started "detaching" from the surface, I definitely felt that there were "preload" on the coils which translated as "floating" feeling and all sorts of weird but fun driving experience, drove it up to 180 until the limiter hits).
Definitely worth exploring further, thanks for the insight. Did you notice any diminished handling in your Caddy at higher speeds? I recall this happening years ago with my then-new CR-V where there was an issue with the hood latch.

Experiments await...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Definitely worth exploring further, thanks for the insight. Did you notice any diminished handling in your Caddy at higher speeds? I recall this happening years ago with my then-new CR-V where there was an issue with the hood latch.

Experiments await...
I would say that Caddy as a cargo car was not bad at all, very bulletproof car.

2012 2.0TDI with rated 110hp and toons of torque, I think it had actually more than 110hpl
same engine on 2012 Tiggy was 140hp somehow. and manual transmission. it was awesome ride.
at 180 km/h it felt stable and controllable, but that "floating" feeling did not contribute to the safe feeling driving it through the corners)
  • leaf suspension on the back...
  • long base + empty trunk and front biased weight distribution
  • front wheel drive
so I had back jumping through some curve at 150, when my coworker had that whiteknuckle moment)
roads in Ukraine never being best...still probably not)
fun car though, missing it big time in Canada.
in passenger version it was 5 or 7 seater with diesel economy and possibly with dsg and 4motion...would buy it in heartbeat over tiguan with small cargo trunk...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts