VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my Atlantic blue 2022 Tiguan SEL R-line 4Motion two weeks ago and love it. My one issue is the throttle lag from a full stop. The car will sometimes even lurch a bit during initial acceleration. I have had turbos in the past but this is different. It is less obvious in Sport mode. Are others experiencing the same thing?

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
Yes!
I thought maybe it was just me. (Mine is a 2021 SEL Premium R-line)
It's sort of odd, sometimes it will "lurch" (good explanation) and other times it barely moves, until I give the throttle a good jab.
I'm not sure what can be done, so if you figure something out, please share...

Bob.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've noticed this too in normal mode, barely touched sport mode so far so no comment on that . I feel like it happens more when the just starting up and vehicle is cold. I am in northeast.

·
Registered
502 Posts
On my 2020, I only have lag or stumbling for about 2-3 minutes after initial start up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked up my Atlantic blue 2022 Tiguan SEL R-line 4Motion two weeks ago and love it. My one issue is the throttle lag from a full stop. The car will sometimes even lurch a bit during initial acceleration. I have had turbos in the past but this is different. It is less obvious in Sport mode. Are others experiencing the same thing?
I'll agree that it is a more pronounced when the engine is cold. I've read that a software update may be due so I'll ask the dealer when I go back for the routine first service. (They had to update the car-net software before I even left the dealership.) In the meantime, a little trick that's seemed to help is I moved the driver seat back somewhat so that my foot is less likely to "punch" the accelerator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2021 Tiguan R line new in April 2021. I'm also having the throttle lag issue. This seems to be a known issue.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
It's REALLY annoying (and dangerous) when it happens when your making a left hand turn in traffic.
I can recall at least one occasion where I had to almost violently "stab" it as it did nothing on the initial press of the accelerator.

I'm honestly surprised that there is not a recall (or at least a TSB) on this issue.

2021 SEL P R-Line here...

Bob.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I found that vehicle "Sport mode" helped somewhat and transmission in Sport mode helped even more.

Full disclosure - I traded my 2022 SEL R-Line for a 2022 GTI due to the lack of acceleration on the Tiguan, running premium fuel, everything in Sport mode I got it down to about 8 second 0-60.

I feel the Harmon Kardon sound system in the GTI a serious disappointment, takes away from my driving pleasure. At this point in time, I regret the trade.

I'd rather have a slow vehicle with a great sound system (Fender) than a fast car with a lousy sound system.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
At almost 65, I don't really need the speed, but the lack of throttle response is disconcerting for me.
I don't want to spin the tires, but I also don't want to be on the receiving side of a side impact (due to the lack of throttle response).
The Fender system IS nice, and I also appreciate that.
Fold in mirrors, foot activated trunk, all the "assist" stuff...all bonuses in my book.

Any chance you'll go back to the Tiguan?

Bob.

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SEL R-Line
169 Posts
I don’t know if I notice it being dangerously slow, but I do get the odd lurch off the line sometimes and idk that my pedal inputs are that different light to light. After 7500 miles in 3 months I’ve honestly sorta gotten used to it, to where im not bothered, and as someone mentioned im in love with the fender system. Even at full volume the clarity is maintained dare I say flawlessly, not that I listen like that but still most every car I’ve had that is not a thing past even 50% volume. Ngl tho the urge to get a golf r in 5 months as a graduation gift to myself is tempting. Although if the Harmon Kardon is worse honestly that would be a deal breaker as fun as it may be to drive.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
Just did a quick search and it looks like the Tiguan line-up stays the same for 2023 (and the same engine :( )

They are saying a Golf R is scheduled to be in the Golf line-up for 2023. 315 HP...woot!
No mention of the sound system, though...

Bob.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
...Although if the Harmon Kardon is worse honestly that would be a deal breaker as fun as it may be to drive.
...They are saying a Golf R is scheduled to be in the Golf line-up for 2023. 315 HP...woot!
No mention of the sound system, though...

Bob.
The new Golf R is due in stores spring this year, but dealers are going to be adding at least $5K to MSRP, I wouldn't be surprised to see some adding $20K.

The R unfortunately has the HK system.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
I'm not a big guy, but the Golf resembles the Ford Focus (Titanium) that I drove for a while while recovering from a ruptured achilles.
It was just too small.

I don't see car prices being "real" for a while yet.
I bought my Tiguan at the perfect time, just before "supply chain" issues really started to hit home.
Bonus, I also got in on the 0% financing!

If I could just take the engine and exhaust and swap those into the Tiguan....boom!

Bob.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
if you have obdeleven or vcds you can (on previous years) change throttle response from incremental to direct, i would suspect it can be done on 22's as well. this and the dogbone insert greatly reduced the lag. the 'lurch' can sometimes still be felt on occasion. i've also found that driving in manual mode improves all of these. makes me think it's the transmission trying to figure out life.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
It has been proven that the OBD11 method doesn't do anything (in fact, the changes made don't even effect the TB).
UNLESS, you have found something new in OBD11 land???

Dogbone insert? Forgive my newbieness. Care to share?

I've been search for a steering wheel with paddles (heated, that doesn't need an airbag swap). Not really interested in beating on the shift mechanism...but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Looking forward to your response...

Bob.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It has been proven that the OBD11 method doesn't do anything (in fact, the changes made don't even effect the TB).
UNLESS, you have found something new in OBD11 land???

Dogbone insert? Forgive my newbieness. Care to share?

I've been search for a steering wheel with paddles (heated, that doesn't need an airbag swap). Not really interested in beating on the shift mechanism...but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Looking forward to your response...

Bob.

i've seen people making that claim before as well, but in my experience it definitely affects the pedal feel, even if not directly changing settings with the TB but rather how the pedal signal was interpreted by the ecu/tcu.

dogbone inserts go into the subframe bushing to reduce movement of the dogbone mount within the subframe under load.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
I actually tried that OBD11 trick, and didn't get the feeling that I accomplished anything. In fact, I reversed it.
The mere fact that the changes were made in the "steering" module made me even more skeptical.
I believe someone here ran some tests and actually found it was doing something totally different from what all of us had hoped it would help.
I'll see if I can dig that up.

Thanks for the video, very interesting.
I'm assuming (since I am relatively new to VW's) that "mod" is for the US based (NON DSG) transmissions?

Bob.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
because it is the subframe and not actually the transmission, it will work on most all modern VWs (generation specific). the key on mqb cars is to know which version bushing is in the subframe. my '17 DSG Alltrack was version 2, my '21 Tiguan is version 1.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts