VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
Hrmm. Thanks for the clarification, again, VW newbie...

Seems like a relatively easy fix, does it really accomplish that much?
Just out of curiosity, ~ how much to do this?

Thanks for taking the time...

Bob.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Hrmm. Thanks for the clarification, again, VW newbie...

Seems like a relatively easy fix, does it really accomplish that much?
Just out of curiosity, ~ how much to do this?

Thanks for taking the time...

Bob.
it's one of the more popular upgrades. I would say that the improvement is quite a bit more noticeable on the Tiguan than on other cars I've had them in. If you install yourself, the part is only like $45. all you need is some basic tools and lubricant. Some of the harder mounts will give NVH in the cabin. The mount I had in my Alltrack was too much for me (BFI stage 2), so I opted for the BFI stage 1 in the Tiguan.

I have BFI stage 2 in my MK5 with full stage 2 BFI engine/transmission mounts and there's almost no NVH 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
Again, thanks for the explanation (and the time).
Much appreciated.
I drove Mitusbishi's (3000GT VR4's) for the last 20+ yrs (94 Coupe and then a 95 Spyder), I'm still learning the ropes here...
I'll mull this over during the winter and maybe give it a whirl in the spring....

Bob.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Again, thanks for the explanation (and the time).
Much appreciated.
I drove Mitusbishi's (3000GT VR4's) for the last 20+ yrs (94 Coupe and then a 95 Spyder), I'm still learning the ropes here...
I'll mull this over during the winter and maybe give it a whirl in the spring....

Bob.
no prob. it definitely helps take some of the slop out of the drivetrain without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
'22 ...throttle calibration is on aggressive side and if there is to slow response from stop to go pedal it will give you this rubbery feeling...there are two ways to avoid this....custom transmission mount changes or learn to have quick response from stop pedal going to go pedal....there are a lot other things on the engine ecm side calibration values changes that affect more response from standing still....there are many parameters that ecm looking to boost torque when various accessories are running.... to lower load shock on torque converter and awd reaction this was the reason for softer transmission bushings....if going to aftermarket solutions stay away from hard bushings unless you don't care about removing transmission for repair or inspection if something is damaged...good luck. Budack cycle on this engine and high compression will require a lot of hardware changes to make turbo upgrades .

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
@apollosfury, is THIS the change you are talking about?

"Audi" Engine Mod - Tiguan specific

Control Module 01 - Engine

Long Coding
Byte 0
Uncheck Bit 0, check Bit 1
Hex value should show 02 now for the value

If so, I have not tried this.
I did however try this:

Direct Throttle Response

Control Module 44 - Steering
Adaptations
Find Driving Profile
Change from Gradual to Direct

And felt it provided no help for the slow throttle response.

@VW ENGINEERING, please feel free to comment on the above if you are familiar with the OBD11 tool...

Bob.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
Since the OBD11 tool doesn't tell you much when doing LONG CODING, can you tell me what turning off Bit 0 and turning on Bit 1 does?

Bob.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not familiar with obdeleven authorized third-party tools....I use ODIS....you can change it in adaptation if available.....
0 in ODIS represents default values or none .....1 represents another block with other values that can be coded depending on the block choosing and module you are working with.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
@Reihenmotor5 , if I recall correctly, I found that snippet of code:

"Audi" Engine Mod - Tiguan specific

Control Module 01 - Engine

Long Coding
Byte 0
Uncheck Bit 0, check Bit 1
Hex value should show 02 now for the value

In one of your posts.
Can you elaborate on what those two bits do in Byte 1 when using Long Coding?

Bob.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,895 Posts
Bob,

Not sure if this works on a 2022, so I’d proceed with caution. It’s essentially what the Golf guys do with their cars to have a more linear acceleration like the Audi’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,895 Posts
Not sure, only known to be tested on 2018, 2019, and possibly a 2020. There’s a thread on it in the Tiguan forum.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,895 Posts
I hear you, went for it when I saw the mod and complaints of the acceleration of the Tiguan for 2018 and a little for the 2019 models. Figured if I got errors, back it out and clear errors. If an issue, tuck my tail and go to the dealer.

Reactions: VW ENGINEERING

·
Registered
9 Posts
Picked up my Atlantic blue 2022 Tiguan SEL R-line 4Motion two weeks ago and love it. My one issue is the throttle lag from a full stop. The car will sometimes even lurch a bit during initial acceleration. I have had turbos in the past but this is different. It is less obvious in Sport mode. Are others experiencing the same thing?
Common complaint among the MQB platform. I have a 2020 SE-R Line Black and it was difficult at slow speeds like parking lots to keep it from lurching as you say. Outside of gears one and two it is fine when driving at 15 to 20 MPH and up. I had to let the engine get to around 1800 to 2000 RPM before really giving it considerable throttle otherwise it would lag and fall over itself. I recently installed the Burger Motor Sports Pedal Tuner and used Carista to change the throttle control to Direct and cannot believe what a difference the new Maps have on the cars driveability. I chose Stage One with the micro adjustments all the way up and no longer have to worry about the car jerking in the grocery store parking lot, and it doesn't stumble at medium to fast starts because of way that Burger engineered the map to be gradual then kick in. Sad that VW engineers a Throttle Map that I am sure is Fuel Mileage focused rather than driveability. The car now feels much more like my same model year GLI obviously with less power but the drivetrain now feels way less tight than before and is much more pleasurable to drive at slow speeds and frequent start and stops. It doesn't have any more horsepower but the fuel delivery seems way more spot on to accelerate better than it ever did before.

·
Registered
2019 Tiguan SE 2022 Passat SE
393 Posts
I have 2019 Tiguan and a 2022 Passat. Both have the 2.0 liter engine, but the Passat is de-tuned to 174hp and about 200 ft lbs of torque and it has the Aisin 6 speed tranny. The Passat is much more linear to throttle input and feels more powerful off the line. The tranny has to have something to do with it, although the Passat is about 500lbs lighter too!

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE 2.0 TSI (NAR)
13 Posts
Common complaint among the MQB platform. I have a 2020 SE-R Line Black and it was difficult at slow speeds like parking lots to keep it from lurching as you say. Outside of gears one and two it is fine when driving at 15 to 20 MPH and up. I had to let the engine get to around 1800 to 2000 RPM before really giving it considerable throttle otherwise it would lag and fall over itself. I recently installed the Burger Motor Sports Pedal Tuner and used Carista to change the throttle control to Direct and cannot believe what a difference the new Maps have on the cars driveability. I chose Stage One with the micro adjustments all the way up and no longer have to worry about the car jerking in the grocery store parking lot, and it doesn't stumble at medium to fast starts because of way that Burger engineered the map to be gradual then kick in. Sad that VW engineers a Throttle Map that I am sure is Fuel Mileage focused rather than driveability. The car now feels much more like my same model year GLI obviously with less power but the drivetrain now feels way less tight than before and is much more pleasurable to drive at slow speeds and frequent start and stops. It doesn't have any more horsepower but the fuel delivery seems way more spot on to accelerate better than it ever did before.
Noticing the same lurch with my 2022 SE and thought it was just a case of cold or new engine. Does adusting the throttle control with aftermarket software jeopardize the warranty?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Noticing the same lurch with my 2022 SE and thought it was just a case of cold or new engine. Does adusting the throttle control with aftermarket software jeopardize the warranty?
Its a hardware product that does nothing to the tiguans ECU, took about 1 minute to install. Unplug the throttle connector on top of the gas pedal and plug the connector to the device and the output from the device to the throttle connector that was unplugged. It is just intercepting the voltage coming from the pedal and adjusting it to various different Throttle Map curves based on your preference. Stock, Stages 1,2, and 3. and you can fine tune the response up and down in each stage. Its maps are just better imo than the single map that is stock from the VW ecu.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts