·
Registered
2018 Tiguan, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
3,754 Posts
Great, another Chinese model. How "German" :facepalm::facepalm:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Say hello to the replacement of the Jetta. I think it's quite decent looking and it will definitely sell well. Nobody is going to buy a Jetta anymore just like nobody is buying a Passat anymore since the new Tiguan came out.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I like it.. not enough to replace our Tiguan or Cross Sport, but I think it will do very well here. It doesn't look awful like the current Rav 4 or a stupid lego Jeep. I think it's perfectly normal looking. Though, I hate the name. It would be cool if it does well enough to justify VW making some GTI/R model CUV's here in the states. If in 3 years we can replace Liv's new Tig with a R model, I will be a very happy man.

To the idea of GTI/R model VW CUV's, do you think they worry about cannibalizing Audi SQx sales? I can't imagine someone shopping an SQ5 or SQ3 looking at a Taos GTI or Tiguan R at the same time.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Not surprised to see VW tripling down on this segment. I can see my wife getting one when the lease on her 2020 Tiguan comes to an end- unless we pop out three kids in the meantime.
And, unless she is wooed by the SEL, we might save a few bucks. :thumbup: Dip it in that Cornflower Blue and sign us up.

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Ah, the Ford marketing model.
I sincerely doubt this thing will be as cynical and ****ty as the Ecosport. Pretty much every Ecosport competitor is like 300-400% better just by not being an ancient "developing market" POS.

·
Registered
219 Posts
For those wondering about the size:

L x W x H // WB

VW T-Roc (not sold in the US) 166.7" x 71.6" x 61.9" // 102.0"

VW Taos 174.2" x 72.5" x 64.3" // 105.5"

VW Tiguan SWB (not sold in the US) 176.6" x 72.4" x 65.9" // 105.6"

Taos and Tiguan SWB is almost the same size but not quite.

Taos and Tiguan are exactly on the same segment. They have the same WB and are very similar in every other dimension. The T-Roc is the one on a different segment.

I don´t believe that costs were the prime reason that drove the decision to produce the Taos instead of the SWB Tiguan. They ride on the same platform, have the same dimensions and the current Tiguan isn't exactly premium in terms of fit and finish. Cost cuttings that were made in the Taos, like torsion beam on FWD versions, could also be applied on the Tiguan. The SWB Tiguan would even benefit from savings from sharing most parts with the LWB version.

I think that VW choose the Taos because they wanted to have 2 separeted CUV familys, so the positioning of each one would be clearer in the market. Other brands are doing the same (Compass/Cherokee, Eclipse Cross/Outlander, Corolla Cross/Rav4, Bronco/Escape...).

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
exactly the car nobody asked for .. meanwhile RSQ3, Tiguan R, and a few others that I can think of we'd love to have here ... who the hell wants 1.4L slowboxes when that market is already saturated by the likes of Nissan, Honda, Toyota ... dafuq VW .. stand the F out .. not just on CEL.

/end rant.

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
VW has so many SUVs
Not really. In the US, there's basically just two...Tiguan and Atlas. Not counting the Altas CrossSport as a separate one since it's 95% the same as the Atlas from which it's derived and is just a styling variant. VW not having at least S-M-L sizes covered in the US is totally laughable, but when has VW ever NOT been late to the party by MANY years? Oh, and also not counting the ID.4 yet either since you can't just walk into a dealer and find one. For all intents and purposes, they don't have it.

that all look the same and have ridiculous names.
Names aren't necessarily a deal breaker, but yes they all look the same. That's not always a bad thing for brand identity, but VW's design language of the US-market SUVs are all based on a language that is five years old and it's time to move on, yet in another year from now we'll be getting one more that speaks the same aesthetic.:thumbdown: Granted it's an understated design language that will keep it from looking downright ugly, but after several years of its handsome blandness, it should be no wonder why another "new" SUV wearing the same clothing induces total yawns rather than excitement.

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
exactly the car nobody asked for .. meanwhile RSQ3, Tiguan R, and a few others that I can think of we'd love to have here ... who the hell wants 1.4L slowboxes when that market is already saturated by the likes of Nissan, Honda, Toyota ... dafuq VW .. stand the F out .. not just on CEL.

/end rant.
Kinda disagree. VW does need to fill this segment here (smaller than the Tiguan "BigYawn" <----ooooh you heard it here first!), but they really need to do something so much less bland and recycled looking.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts