VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
I generally have no love for sedans, have no aspiraitons of owning a premuim branded vehicle (German, Japanese or otherwise), but I really like these TLX TypeS. I think they look cool. I'll take the red one (red ones are faster) with the bronze wheels.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
God what a letdown. LBB is nice, but none of the colors hold a candle to the previous red. Also you're gonna hand build these on a different assembly line and NOT figure out how to stick a manual in there?!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
God what a letdown. LBB is nice, but none of the colors hold a candle to the previous red. Also you're gonna hand build these on a different assembly line and NOT figure out how to stick a manual in there?!
theyll wait till end of model year and itll be like 63k with another 10hp, but at least its manual finally

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
The cost of putting a manual in would not be worth it. Another powertrain to certify, worse performance, and most critically, no customers

I still can't believe how big and slow these things are; they really do struggle to trap in the triple digits in the quarter mile. A 1G FWD V6 would probably give one the business from a ~40MPH roll. Just unbelievable. There are tunes and tuners available but w/e.

Reactions: Spyderonnyquil

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
No manual transmission is not a big deal in the segment. Manual cars sell horrifically outside of purpose built sports cars, and hopped up economy cars (Civic Type R, Si etc.)

The bigger issue is that they couldn’t adjust gear ratios, revise the transmission, or figure out a way to offer more power ( or enhance its relatively poor fuel economy) to make up for the glaring flaws of the car. The segment is only getting stronger in terms of competition.

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
No manual transmission is not a big deal in the segment. Manual cars sell horrifically outside of purpose built sports cars, and hopped up economy cars (Civic Type R, Si etc.)

The bigger issue is that they couldn’t adjust gear ratios, revise the transmission, or figure out a way to offer more power ( or enhance its relatively poor fuel economy) to make up for the glaring flaws of the car. The segment is only getting stronger in terms of competition.
This car bums me out. Way more than the Integra.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2018 VW GTI
22,721 Posts
I like the TLX (overall).

I don't like a 60 grand TLX (because that's where this is ending up).

Even the standard Type-S is at least $5,000 too expensive.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
This car bums me out. Way more than the Integra.
Both cars bum me out, but that’s just because I think there’s so much wasted potential for both of them. Both the TLX and Integra are sharp designs

An SH-AWD Integra, and the TLX actually being more competitive vs it’s competition would go a long way, but right now they’re not much better than their Honda derivatives while charging significantly more money

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
All the TLX had to do was weigh like 5-7% less. FWIW people who have actually driven and seen the Integra say it's a lot better than people think so that's why I'm not too hard on it.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
It's nuts how beautiful Acura's cars are. And how mediocre they are at anything other than (perceived(?)) reliability and having really good stereos.

All these handbuilt special editions that wind up offering bespoke medoicrity are so puzzling. The RDX as a better-styled, ritzy "CRV-Type R" has SO much potential. But then look at what they delivered. The TLX as an "AWD Accord Type-R" could be so freaking cool. But somehow it's slower than my POS Outback.

I can think of very few examples of other cars that look so good and deliver so little on that promise. Then again, they're probably exceptionally good at what they actually get used for.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I think these cars look really good. Is the performance that bad?
1/4 mile: 13.6 @ 103, one of the slowest in class. Also slower than your STI.

Fuel economy:

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Automotive lighting

The only cars that get worse fuel economy have significantly more power on tap vs the TLX-S save for the CT5 and Genesis G70. However those two are cheaper than the TLX-S. And the difference in fuel economy gets worse when you consider that the TLX-S is only available with AWD. The RWD versions of above cars get even better fuel economy.

And to make matters worse, it’s a 4200 lb beast so expect to burn through pads, tires and other expendables at a faster rate, and don’t expect to do any track duty with it without a change of pads and fluids at a minimum.

For $53.7k theres better out there.
And for a AWD turbo V6 it’s a very mediocre showing at best. But you get a long powertrain warranty, and “Honda reliability” so there’s that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts