VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2022 GTI S
3,312 Posts
Those black trim pieces are just double side taped on. A little hair dryer action and they should peel off without much issue on a brand new car if you don't want them. As mentioned above they're on the car for regulatory reasons but I would highly doubt anyone (law enforcement or inspection stations) would give you a hard time if those weren't present.

Also, since it looks like you bought an Autobahn, for what it's worth, those black pieces are only present on the Autobahn. I have a 2022 GTI S and no black trim pieces were present. I believe it has to do with the spec of the 19s on the AB trim.

Either way, beautiful car! Enjoy it!

· Registered
462 Posts
Those black trim pieces are just double side taped on. A little hair dryer action and they should peel off without much issue on a brand new car if you don't want them. As mentioned above they're on the car for regulatory reasons but I would highly doubt anyone (law enforcement or inspection stations) would give you a hard time if those weren't present.
One additional argument for removing them (aside from aesthetics) is that some people have noticed that they collect dirt and grime in there, and this can scratch or swirl the paint over time.

· Registered
79 Posts

Also, since it looks like you bought an Autobahn, for what it's worth, those black pieces are only present on the Autobahn. I have a 2022 GTI S and no black trim pieces were present. I believe it has to do with the spec of the 19s on the AB trim.

Either way, beautiful car! Enjoy it!
Yeah, they only come on the the MK8s with 19” wheels (R and AB) which happen to be 235. The S/SE trim have 225 tires and don’t have them.

· Registered
27 Posts
If you don't have a hair dryer, try waxed dental floss. You work it under the edges, pulling slightly to allow it to cut the double stick tape, and work it around. This works on all the taped on emblems on VW's except the front VW emblem which is snapped in place on most models. Some folks like to "clean up" and de-badge their cars, I like the look, others not so much. Do I really need "FSI", "TSI", "2.0", "(whatever)" etc.? Taking these little "legal" width extensions off the this model is a no brainer. But don't for the love of God throw them out, put them in the glove box in a bag with a description of what they are in case you have to resell/trade-in at some point, mark them L/R if they are different. Getting stuff like this from VW is like ordering unicorn pubic hairs. I have a tuned 07' Jetta GLI Fahrenheit (in the only color available, Imola [Ferrari] Yellow) that has a down pipe, cat back, CAI, tuning, and like 20+ other mods to the engine/turbo/intercooler/fuel/suspension/brakes, and when someone asks of the rumbling beeoch... "What the hell is that?!" it makes me smile. The only badge my car has are two blacked out VW badges front and back and "Fahrenheit" on the back deck lid. Some Toad asked me a couple of years ago if it was "The new Supra?" Dafaque?!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts