VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2021 Audi S4 Premium (gone but not forgotten: 2016 GTI SE 6MT)
1,414 Posts
The tablet style screen sitting above the dash doesn’t look as elegant as units integrated into the dash like the European Touareg, but it’s great ergonomically, putting the screen in perfect line of sight. I have a 10.1” screen on my 2021 S4 and really like the placement. The current screen location on the Arteon is a bit too low but it’s too late in the life cycle to redesign the entire dash.

· Registered
2,459 Posts
Even the itty bitty polo gets the 9.2. the more I see this, the smaller the 8 inch gets in the Arteon here. Ashamed they didn't use the 9.2 in the MY '23

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

· Registered
17,168 Posts
They will probably do something to go out with a bang. Megan said she cannot speak to future product plans or things of that nature, especially product life cycles but she mentioned that the '24 will be 95% similar to the '23. So that 5% is the mystery of what that will be . If you are not keen on the '23, it is probably best to wait for the '24
You're looking at it the wrong way....

Since it's the last year and VW is known for cutting things.....there will be 5% less things, like colors or something, not more! lol

· Registered
2,459 Posts

Since it's the last year and VW is known for cutting things.....there will be 5% less things, like colors or something, not more! lol
knowing their history, you are probably on that!

· Registered
21 Arteon SEL R-Line w/AWD - Urano Gray
626 Posts
Even the itty bitty polo gets the 9.2. the more I see this, the smaller the 8 inch gets in the Arteon here. Ashamed they didn't use the 9.2 in the MY '23

Interesting that the Polo gets physical steering wheel buttons after it's CEO said it would bring back physical buttons but not the physical volume knob.

· Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

VW did this for the Passat

· Registered
272 Posts
Every single revision to the Arteon gets worse.
Mk1 280ps, then went to 272ps.
Mk2 Lost headlight washers, and had crappy shiny cheap and tacky black plastic everywhere for the ambient lighting, and those hideous swipe controls, not to mention a SMALLER digital cockipit (12.5" vs 10.25" or something like that).
Mk3* if they really slap a stick on tablet to the front, under no circumstances will I drive a car with this arrangement, its absolutely so dumb.

Porsche do a great job of avoiding stick on tablet in their cars, for everyone else, its pure and utter design laziness and bargain basement cost saving.

· Registered
17,168 Posts
VW did this for the Passat
True, but the NMS Passat was a car built FOR Americans, here in America, for ~11 years.
That was also their first plant in the U.S. (and still soldiering on)
The Passat name has history, or did, in the U.S.

The Arteon, not a comparison really. It's a nice car and all, but low production & far from mainstream like the Passat was (or intended to be).

But....we'll have to wait a year & see

· Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The Arteon is the highest rated vehicle in the VW lineup. It is truly a shame that it never had success with the buyers.

In 2001 folks were speculating similar things about the Phaeton

· Registered
626 Posts
The Arteon is the highest rated vehicle in the VW lineup. It is truly a shame that it never had success with the buyers.

In 2001 folks were speculating similar things about the Phaeton
I realize this thread has gone completely off topic so I'm going to do the right thing and add to the off topicness. I'm glad the Arteon hasn't had success, I'd rather drive something unique than a common mass produced vehicle. Given the similar speculation with the Phaeton, does that mean the Arteon will be a collectors car too someday? Maybe a barn find featured on Motorweek? :giggle:

· Registered
'21 SEL-P
34 Posts
Back to the Original Topic.

I dumped the OEM tires at 20k for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport4S in 235/40/ZR20 configuration. I was looking for a little more sidewall to help withstand the western PA winters. As an added bonus, all tire-related road noise completely disappeared! I haven't noticed any change in handling characteristics, and as an added benefit my fuel mpg computer is now accurate within 0.1-0.2mpg's compared to actual calculations.

· Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

I dumped the OEM tires at 20k for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport4S in 235/40/ZR20 configuration. I was looking for a little more sidewall to help withstand the western PA winters. As an added bonus, all tire-related road noise completely disappeared! I haven't noticed any change in handling characteristics, and as an added benefit my fuel mpg computer is now accurate within 0.1-0.2mpg's compared to actual calculations.
That’s a smart choice, I may well do the same when I get a 2023 model.

On my SE with 18 inch wheels, I have OEM contnental’s but with Conti-silent sound deadening that kills the internal air resonance at 200Hz. On my SELP with 19 inch wheels I have the factory OEM continentals, so between these 2 cars I can assess road noise. The only time that the conti-silent are noticeably better is on rough highway surfaces at high speeds. Going to 20 inch and 35 was a concern so thanks very much for your observations. I will plan on probally changing out the OEM wheels on the 2023 to 19 inch ones which could be expensive! I am also interested in this extra sound deadening that comes with the acoustics package and thought it cant be that hard to add it afterwards. I dont know much about it yet, except that it uses double pane glass and extra sound absorbers.

Dropping back to the off-topic, the Arteon could well be the last great ICE VW has ever made. The Evo4 EA888 engine coupled with the DSG gearbox is proablly as advanced as VW will get as they switch over to electrics - so yes I really think the Arteon will ecome a collectors car for a bunch of reasons.

· Registered
2021 Audi S4 Premium (gone but not forgotten: 2016 GTI SE 6MT)
1,414 Posts
Even the itty bitty polo gets the 9.2. the more I see this, the smaller the 8 inch gets in the Arteon here. Ashamed they didn't use the 9.2 in the MY '23.
I was told the reason the MIB 3 head unit for the 9.2" Discover Pro Media is not compatible with North American Arteons is that Sirius XM satellite radio is not compatible with the European head unit. They would have to develop or modify the head unit to accommodate satellite radio and they can't justify the cost for such a low volume car.

· Registered
2,459 Posts
I was told the reason the MIB 3 head unit for the 9.2" Discover Pro Media is not compatible with North American Arteons is that Sirius XM satellite radio is not compatible with the European head unit. They would have to develop or modify the head unit to accommodate satellite radio and they can't justify the cost for such a low volume car.
Wow, I would trade the sat radio for the 9.2 if they gave me a choice. If you really want, run the sat radio through carplay or AA

· Registered
17,168 Posts

A summer tire?

· Registered
626 Posts
Wow, I would trade the sat radio for the 9.2 if they gave me a choice. If you really want, run the sat radio through carplay or AA

I like my satellite radio. It still has it's place....on road trips especially. There are still too many areas without cell coverage (or at least 4G speeds) to handle streaming. Then there's the occasional app, phone, or AA/carplay crash that requires a restart.

· Registered
2,459 Posts
I like my satellite radio. It still has it's place....on road trips especially. There are still too many areas without cell coverage (or at least 4G speeds) to handle streaming. Then there's the occasional app, phone, or AA/carplay crash that requires a restart.
Yeah true. I meant for me personally, I would trade it off as I don't really use the Sat radio. Even with road trips, we end up running the video streaming for the kids anyways .

21 - 39 of 39 Posts