VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2024 Mercedes-AMG S63 E Performance revealed with PHEV V8 making 791 hp and 1,055 lb-ft

5K views 66 replies 30 participants last post by  MylesPH1 
#1 ·
Full press release: The S-Class from Mercedes-AMG: Perfect synthesis of comfort and dynamism with E PERFORMANCE

Mercedes said:
  • Performance hybrid with Formula 1™ technology transfer to new Mercedes-AMG S 63 E PERFORMANCE
  • Improved AMG high-performance battery with 13.1 kWh capacity
  • Handcrafted AMG 4.0L V8 Biturbo engine at the front and electric motor at the rear axle for 791 hp combined output – the most powerful S-Class of all time
  • Active roll stabilization and active rear-axle steering fitted standard
  • AMG-specific radiator grille featured on the performance luxury sedan for the first time
The S-Class has always played an important role for Mercedes-AMG. More than 50 years ago, the founders proved they could transform a luxury sedan into a very sporty vehicle with the Swabian spirit of innovation. The performance and sports car brand from Affalterbach set its first milestone in 1971 with the Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.8 AMG. Today, the new Mercedes-AMG S 63 E PERFORMANCE with AMG performance hybrid technology once again sets the benchmark in the segment. The E PERFORMANCE model combines the Handcrafted AMG 4.0L V8 Biturbo engine with an AMG-specific hybrid powertrain and a new expansion stage of the AMG high-performance battery (HPB). The new HPB 150 is based on the high- performance and directly cooled battery cells of the well-known HPB 80. The energy content increases from 6.1 kWh in the HPB 80 to 13.1 kWh in the HPB 150.

The focus of the powertrain, however, is less on electric range and more on best-in-class performance. With a combined system output of 791 hp and 1,055 lb-ft, the AMG S 63 E PERFORMANCE sets new standards in the segment. The acceleration from 0 to 60 mph takes just 3.2 seconds (est.) and the 180 mph top speed underline dynamic driving performance. Systems such as the AMG RIDE CONTROL+ suspension, AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL roll stabilization, and rear-axle steering – all fitted standard – ensure a wide spread between driving dynamics and comfort.

"The S-Class has always had a very special meaning for us. In 1971, it made the AMG brand famous overnight with its legendary appearance in the Spa 24-hour race. This was undoubtedly an important foundation for our rise as a performance and sports car brand with global significance. With E PERFORMANCE, we are now opening a new chapter: Never before has a luxury sedan so perfectly combined best-in-class performance with superior comfort and virtually silent electric driving. In this way, we are also opening up to highly discerning target groups who see Mercedes-AMG as the performance luxury brand of the 21st century. With the most powerful S-Class of all time, however, we are not only going our own technical way, as is characteristic of AMG, but also making a strong visual statement. For the first time, the S-Class Sedan also has our AMG-specific radiator grille, so the brand affiliation is closer than ever before."
– Philipp Schiemer, Chairman of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG GmbH

"With our unique E PERFORMANCE in the AMG S-Class, we are also setting another technological milestone in electrification in this segment. Our exclusive high-performance battery is used in the S 63 with a significantly higher capacity than previously known, which increases the electric range. The performance hybrid layout with a combustion engine at the front and an electric drive unit at the rear axle not only offers a superior driving experience, but also significantly increases efficiency. The optimized weight distribution, best possible utilization of torque and the very responsive power delivery promise driving dynamics and driving refinement at the highest level. In addition to the technically sophisticated powertrain, we also pulled out all the stops with the suspension to achieve the greatest possible spread between comfort and driving dynamics. For example, the combination of air suspension, rear-axle steering and active roll stabilization is on board for the first time in an AMG S-Class."
– Jochen Hermann, Technical General Manager of Mercedes-AMG GmbH

Mercedes-AMG S 63 E PERFORMANCE
Hybrid system
Layout
P3: combustion engine in front, electric motor at rear axle​
System output
hp​
791​
System torque
lb-ft​
1,055​
Energy capacity
kWh​
13.1​
Electric range
mi​
TBA​
Combustion engine
Number of cylinders/arrangement

8/V​
Displacement
cc​
3,982​
Rated output
hp​
603​
at engine speed
rpm​
5,500-6,500​
Rated torque
lb-ft​
664​
at engine speed
rpm​
2,500-4,500​
Compression ratio
8.6:1​
Mixture formation
Direct gasoline injection, two turbochargers​
Electric motor
Type
Permanently excited synchronous motor​
Rated output
hp​
188​
Rated torque
lb-ft​
236​
Power transmission
Drive system
AMG Performance 4MATIC+ fully variable all-wheel drive​
Transmission
AMG SPEEDSHIFT® MCT 9G
(automatic transmission with wet multi-disc start-off clutch)​
Gear ratios
1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th/ 8th/9th gear
:1​
5.35/3.24/2.25/1.64/1.21/1.00/0.87/0.72/0.60​
Reverse
:1​
4.80​
Suspension
Front axleAMG RIDE CONTROL+ air suspension with adaptive adjustable damping and
AMG ACTIVE CONTROL active roll stabilization
Rear axleAMG RIDE CONTROL+ air suspension with adaptive adjustable damping, AMG
ACTIVE CONTROL active roll stabilization and active rear-axle steering

Brake system
AMG high-performance composite braking system, front 15.7x1.5 in (400x38 mm) internally ventilated and perforated brake discs, 6-piston aluminum fixed caliper; rear 15x1.3 in (380x32 mm) internally ventilated and perforated brake discs, 1-piston aluminum floating caliper; electric parking brake, ABS, Brake
Assist, 3-stage ESP®
SteeringElectromechanical speed-sensitive power steering with rack and pinion system,
variable steering ratio (13.6:1 at dead center) and variable power assistance
Wheels, standardfront: 9.5Jx20H2 ET33.5 | rear: 10.5Jx20H2 ET50
Tires, standardfront: 255/45 ZR20 | rear: 285/40 ZR20
Dimensions
Wheelbase
in​
126.6​
Front / rear track
in​
65.8 / 64.6​
Length / width / height
in​
210.1* / 75.6* / 59.6*​
Turning circle
ft​
40.4​
Cargo capacity
cu-ft​
10.8*​
Fuel tank capacity
gal​
20.1​
Performance
Acceleration 0-60 mph
s​
3.2 est.​
Top speed
mph​
180​
*U.S.-specific figures to be announced closer to launch

See less See more
#2 ·
It would be cool to see this in an E class, but if I'm spending big money on an S class I'd rather have a Maybach. Or Alpina 7 series BMW. Never really saw the point of high performance big body cars. Ditto the g-series AMG.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#27 ·
everything.

im in for one of these at low five figures in ~10 years when those teeny batteries need replacing.

would hit this hard at a buy-here-pay-here lot :D

If you don’t know why a massively torquey S-Class with a fire-breathing V8 is cool AF, then no one here can explain it to you.

“It will be noisier…”

F yeah it will.
View attachment 242101
this

Hand Vertebrate World Azure Gesture

#13 ·
Yeah, I'm with most of you, seriously want this thing.

For those of you asking for it in a different car, or whatever. I think you're missing the point of this vehicle. have you ever driven an AMG S Class? They are missiles. It's not a performance car, its a limo that can blow the doors off most sports cars while still allowing you to drive around in serene peace for hours on end without being tired and while doing so at 175mph if you please/are capable.

Reactions: TexinKC and tone228
#19 ·
This will be significantly slower than a Tesla Model S Plaid/Lucid Air/etc.

It will require oil changes, maintenance, etc.

It will be noisier, require stops at gas stations, etc.

It will be hyper mechanically complex.

It is long past time that this type of car is an EV. It would be smoother, more luxurious, faster, no gas station stops, faster, etc. Yes, you'd miss the V8 growl. I will give you that.

But why are we re-inventing the hyper-complex wheel of performance hybrids when EVs are faster anyway? I am just so confused. Give this thing a large battery, a 1,200 motor with 1,200 pounds of torque, and call it a day. No oil changes. No massively complex transmissions with dual power plants, etc.

#28 ·
Love.
This.
Car.

There's an undeniable presence about these opulent land-missiles. I'm a sucker for a full size sedan, though. Can I afford this? Nope. Am I glad it's being built? Hell yes.😁

And the sooner we can move past the "why can't it be <insert gripe here>" between EV / ICE, the better we'll all be.🍻

#32 ·
Stops at gas stations is a bonus IMHO.

Should be pretty fuel efficient with the 4 cylinder, but you have the luxury of being able to embark on a intercontinental journey at a moments notice with no range anxiety.

I think hugely powerful plug in hybrids are the future of performance cars for the near term.

#33 ·
Stops at gas stations is a bonus IMHO.

Should be pretty fuel efficient with the 4 cylinder, but you have the luxury of being able to embark on a intercontinental journey at a moments notice with no range anxiety.

I think hugely powerful plug in hybrids are the future of performance cars for the near term.
This has a V8.

Reactions: TexinKC
#39 ·
I get an encounter with a Tesla about once a month. I know they are fast and they think they can just stomp anyone off the line or to a merge. However, often too-soon-juniors don't realize they're next to a senior member. Not claiming to stomp a "duel motor", but It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning.

The funniest one when I was ahead in/to a merge and got on the gas to zipper. A duel motor thought he could just zipper past me, 2 seconds later, I'm already ahead and backed off the gas. Mr. no-one-can-beat-me was still on pedal distracted by disbelieve and almost ran into my rear bumper, until auto pilot smoked his tires locking them.

#40 ·
I get an encounter with a Tesla about once a month. I know they are fast and they think they can just stomp anyone off the line or to a merge. However, often too-soon-juniors don't realize they're next to a senior member. Not claiming to stomp a "duel motor", but It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning.

The funniest one when I was ahead in/to a merge and got on the gas to zipper. A duel motor thought he could just zipper past me, 2 seconds later, I'm already ahead and backed off the gas. Mr. no-one-can-beat-me was still on pedal distracted by disbelieve and almost ran into my rear bumper, until auto pilot smoked his tires locking them.
That's how I deal with cars that try to be faster than me at zipper. They can't win if I ram them!

#47 ·
4 door AMG S-Klasse is not my thing. I prefer ultra luxury more than "sporty performance" for a big a$$ sedan. I rather Rolls Royce or Bentley Flying Spur/Mulsanne. But I would dig this drivetrain in a S-Klasse COUPE.

But they are GONE!!

But i still like this MUCH MORE... 80s Mercedes SEC

Reactions: Sepp
#48 ·
Let me put it differently:

It's 2022. Where's the S Klasse that keeps up with the Tesla, has the interior, presence, and luxury of the S600, and prestige of one of Germany's famous marques? It doesn't exist.

So they built this. At least it has a V8, I guess.

#51 ·
everything right with mercedes styling:

Tire Wheel Grille Hood Automotive lighting

everything wrong with mercedes styling:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Cloud

i wouldnt take the latter if it sucked my dong. but id also take the former in EITHER the configuration in the press release or schnell's wet dream, full on EV.

in reality schnell is right, that the epitome of a big body luxury sedan should be and ultimately will be full EV...dead silence, no NVH, clean - exactly what a real luxury car should be. but until mercedes aborts its missing chromosome styling plan for EVs, ill take the OP version and enjoy the sounds...no matter how loud they are outside the car that i can barely hear inside the car

and ill even take the chrome ****in wheels too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.