VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a set of practically new 205/50/15 SP5000's for cheap. I know that people around here use them but I was just concerned about the load rating.
They have an 84W rating, which is basically 1100lbs/tire.
The max pressure is 51psi.
I weighed my car last weekend with myself and two passengers, and about 100lbs of gear, and the front end was 1000kg (2200lb).
I would just like to hear your thoughts on using a tire that is rated quite close to the actual weight of the car, how this will affect handling/ride quality, will I have to run high pressure etc.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Re: 205/50/15 Dunlop SP Sport 5000 load rating high enough for VR? (BC Dub)

Doen't your car have four tires? I have these on my Syncro with BBS RA's ...which I would hope weighs less than a vr... but at the self weigh scales it was 1600kgs total, And I love 'm , they have good road feal, cost is excellent, and they look good too

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 205/50/15 Dunlop SP Sport 5000 load rating high enough for VR? (JustMike)

You can't just take your total vehicle weight and divide by 4... Obviously the front weighs more than the back. With nobody in the car, there is 1000lbs over each front tire.
What tire pressure do you guys run in the 5000's?

·
Registered
7,636 Posts

I ran about 36psi in the 5000's I had until recently, and also in the old Eagle GA's I had on the 93 some years ago. I believe 87 is the recommended load rating for the GLX. Personally I would settle for a 84 since I don't often take long trips or load the car heavily. I believe that a loaded car on the highway for hours is the critical test. We usually take my wife's car on any long trips (over 2 hours).

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 205/50/15 Dunlop SP Sport 5000 load rating high enough for VR? (A2B4guy)

Thanks Jeff,
Anyone else have an opinion? Even those who don't have VR's?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

I run them on my GLX, the asymetrical tred is cool
, but back on topic so far so good. Had the SP9000's on the car before these, and the GA's (shudder) before that. I run them at the recomended pressure, and they always look a bit low, but they run fine, and thats the common complaint. Overall they work well as all season tires, tho id really love two sets of tires, but then i suppose everyone would (summer/winter).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts