VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
This is my first time here. I hope someone can help me with my question on tires.
I just replaced some stock 195/65R15 Michelin tires that came with my 2000 Jetta GL. The place I bought the tires said 205/55R15 size would work. Anyone know if this is an allowable size? I am beginning to think that perhaps they steered me wrong and I am not so sure now that I can use this size without going to 16 inch wheels.
These are Toyo FZ4 tires. Thanks for any help you can give.
Mike

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: 205/55R15 Tires on 2000 Jetta GL? Possible? (mbliemel)

Using this size tire (55 series) will will result in your speedometer/odometer to be slow by about 3%....
So if it says you are going 100mph, you'll actually be traveling at 97mph. If your odometer says you've gone 100miles, you will have actually gone 97 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 205/55R15 Tires on 2000 Jetta GL? Possible? (TabulaRasa)

Thanks TR for the reply. Would I be better off taking them back and going back to the tire size I had before? I mean I really want to have an accurate reading of the odometer and not be off by about 3% all the time. The tires also look kind of small in the rear well, whereas before they seemed to fill it out more. I am just a regular driver, so excuse my ignorance on these matters. Just looking for some advice and this is obviously a place with knowledgeable people when it comes to cars and VWs. Thanks again for your help.
Oh yeah, the guy that sold me the tires said I could return them if I was not happy with them within 3000 miles. I kind of think he was really trying to push the Toyo brand on me. In hindsight, I wish I had just left right then. I was going to go with Michelins again actually, but you know those salesmen and the price was right.

·
Banned
8,990 Posts
Re: 205/55R15 Tires on 2000 Jetta GL? Possible? (mbliemel)

Yes take them back they are 1" too short, not enough load rating for the vehicle.
You will find the correct sizes at the top of the forum, FAQ-Tire Tech, H20 tire sizes.
195/65-15 25.0" diameter
205/60-15 24.7
225/55-15 24.7
If you're going to stick with touring tires check out the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H $84.00, less money than the Michelin and much better in the rain.

[Modified by [email protected], 8:08 PM 4-9-2002]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.