VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed several times before. But the search feature can't seem to locate the previous topics...
My variant is due for it's last freebie oil change tomorrow, using Valvo 5W-40 c/o Napa(Target still has $4.94 for Mobil 1 as of last night...).
Can someone please repost the 20K checklist and things to double check. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: 20K Service Check List (revisited)...again (Tipchronic)

Change Brake Fluid
Replace Cabin Air Filter*
Replace Engine Air Cleaner
*I had to call VWOA to get a free Cabin Air filter replacement even though it is clearly stated in the owners that this is a 20k replacement item. I believe other people have had difficulty getting the dealer to replace this as well.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts

Available by FAX ONLY!!!
Complete VW check list for all services from
5K-105K for MY 1998-2001...You ring; we bring!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts

just be aware of what the tech actually does -- he only did two items out of the entire list. Changing out the oil filter was not one of the items he did!!! so check against the list before you leave the dealership.
from memory: oil and filter, dust filter, basic check for leaks/belts/etc., road test, engine code check and clearing, rotate tires...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 20K Service Check List (BobT)

I just got back from a diffeerent dealer(New Century VW Glendale, CA) for the 20K service. Thinking I would get better service(clean new facility, service bay, etc..)... boy was I wrong.

They said that the brake fluid is not due for changing until the 18th month(?) even though mileage is already 20K. Also, the service advisor lied to me that they replaced the cabin filter
(I checked it when I got home...same filter). They also did not rotate the tires!
And to top it off, the service guy overfilled (again) the oil level using my BYO Valvoline even though I told the advisor not to do otherwise! I have to mention the TSB calls for 3.9qts only....then he asks "What's a TSB?"
ARE THESE VW DEALERS DEAF, DUMB, OR WHAT?!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

As a VW tech. we are only allowed to do as follows:
1) Replace engine oil and filter
2) Replace pollen filter
3) Rotate and balance tires
4) Check for any fluid levels/leaks and repair/top of if necessary
5) Perform interrogation of all control modules w/ VAS 5051 or VAG 1551 to look
for DTC's
6) Check condition of brake rotors ond brake linings
7) Check condition of drive belts
8) Check operation of accessories (sunfoof, pwr windows, etc.)
In other words it is a total check over. On Cabrio's we do the same and replace the spark plugs. Depending on the year of your vehicle, you may be eligble for an air filter. The ONLY WAY you will get your brake fluid replaced is if your car is between 18-24 months old (from original date of purchase). If you had your 20K done at say, 16 months, you can go back at 18 months and have your brake fluid replaced.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Re: 20K Service Check List (b5bel)

For the 20000 mile/32000 km service, my dealer recommends in their maintenance pamphlet "Type 2" service:

This includes the services done in Type 1 service.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Re: 20K Service Check List (Stargazer)

quote:[HR][/HR]Change Brake Fluid
Replace Cabin Air Filter*
Replace Engine Air Cleaner[HR][/HR]​
I don't see brake fluid or engine air cleaner anywhere in my manual checklist. Here's what I see:
-Engine oil and filter
-Check brake system and pads for leaks and thickness
-Washer fluid, add if necessary
-Tranny, check oil and check for leaks
-Check door hinges
-Electrolyte level of battery
-Check condition of tires (including spare)
-Check drive shaft boots
-Rotate wheels
-Check auto shift operation
-Complete road test of operation
-Check coolant level
-Check engine for leaks
-Check exhaust system for damage
-OBD check
-Adjust headlights
-Check power steering fluid
-Replace dust and pollen filter (cabin filter)
My manual says Brake Fluid - every 2 years, and Air cleaner - 40k miles or 4 years.
Did I miss anything? My 20k is coming up too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts