VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I finally have my 20K service coming up next month. I was wondering what to expect to replace or service and about how much people are getting charged out there. I like to take the car to the dealer but could do some minor things myself if it will save some money.
I've noticed that my interior really smells now when I turn on the A/C...any suggestions on how to fix that problem without paying for the dealer to do the cleaning and sanitizing service for $150.00?

· Registered
25,414 Posts
Re: 20K Service Question (Dr Strangelove)

Quote, originally posted by Dr Strangelove »
Looks like I finally have my 20K service coming up next month. I was wondering what to expect to replace or service and about how much people are getting charged out there. I like to take the car to the dealer but could do some minor things myself if it will save some money.
I've noticed that my interior really smells now when I turn on the A/C...any suggestions on how to fix that problem without paying for the dealer to do the cleaning and sanitizing service for $150.00?

couldn't you just click on the other 20K service thread?

change oil
change filter
rotate tires.
Id change the brake fluid personally
tell the dealer the AC stinks, and that they should replace the panel and do the sanitizing spray thingy under warranty. it helps to have previously tipped said service writer.
on a side note, ask for these things only - asking for a 20K service could cost you hundreds if the dealership has their own idea of what a 20K service is
nice day in Chicago today isn't it?

· Registered
7,099 Posts
Re: 20K Service Question (abeR)

i also replaced my cabin air filter at 20k, although it's listed for the 40k service iirc.
to avoid said stankiness in the future, try to blow out conditioned air before turning your car off:
if the A/C is on, turn off the compressor and put the fan on full for a minute or two before turning off the car so it's blowing ambient temp air to flush the filter and airways thus removing the major cause of condensation. this has definitely helped keep my car fresh for the last 27k miles after my 20k service and filter replacement.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 20K Service Question (abeR)

Thanks Abe, yes Chicago is very nice today. Sorry I didn't see the other thread.
I usually go to Fox Valley VW which are pretty nice people but I am not holding my breath to have the cabin filter replaced for free.

· Registered
4,512 Posts
It says it is required at 20K no?
40K.

I can't remember all the 'noise' we've had on this issue on this board. I think the manual originally didn't say anything about a change. Then somebody posted some Haldex info that said 20k, but that was a different Haldex (if memory serves).

I actually tried to have mine done at 20K because I thought I was being hard on it. The dealer didn't have the kits in yet, as they didn't think anybody would need it (this was maybe 18 months ago).

I have since had the 40K service from my local UVW, including the Haldex fluid / filter and DSG fluid. I think it ran me the best part of $1,200 (bought some wiper blades with that too).

· Registered
4,512 Posts
I do brake fluids every 2 years or as needed. The haldex can be done without spending $1200.
I'm not sure how it all breaks down, but I was led to believe the Haldex is pretty DIY friendly if you have a clue.

The DSG on the other hand needs some "beyond Vagcom" computer interface work to ensure you have transmission operating temperatures in the right place as you do the fluid level (something along those lines).

· Registered
7,099 Posts
you know i've been putting this off too long. i'm at 45k and haven't done anything Haldex except adding the controller & switch, and topping off the oil. looks like i'm adding this to the big list for around 50k.

SS brake lines, Whiteline ALK, oil change/service, Haldex service (ouch!).

· Registered
1,633 Posts
My Dealer says Haldex maint is about $350-$400 by them.

ECS & some other Sponsors/Vendors sell the whole kit on here....seems like $150ish for it, but I probably am remembering wrong....

I paid $350 for the DSG service at the dealer on the GLI and it has been even smoother and flawless sincce I did it 5,200 miles ago @ 38K.....driving that one today....great car.

Tomorrow is RumbleBunny day!!!

Ours is noticeably faster since it turned 12K+

Just checked with my son, (Service Writer - VW), 20K runs around $200 bucks retail if the cabin filter & tire rotation is included....cabin filter around $20 for the part

· Registered
92 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.