VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i seriously considerind dropping 20v into a cabrio and was wondering what parts would be needed to complete this swap. i dont want to use the factory ecu i want to use a stand alone engine managment how hard would it be to wire up and which tranny do you think would work best.thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: ??20v swap with stand alone engine managment into mk3?? (mad dubber)

Do you mean 20V as in 1.8T or 20v as in indestructible Audi 20v 5 cylinder from the UrS4/200TQ? The UrS4 motor only mounts longitudinally, so that's gonna make your life a little difficult. The 1.8T runs either transversely or longitudinally, to make your life easy, get one that is designed for transverse mounting (Golf, Jetta, TT). Also, both of these motors run turbocharged, you don't mention it, but it would be silly to run either one N/A.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Re: ??20v swap with stand alone engine managment into mk3?? (Penguin)

why would it be silly to run either n/a? you don't seem to think it's silly running a 16v n/a, and hell, a 20v has, (complex math here kids) roughly one more valve per cylinder than the 16v. don't they sell 20v's n/a in europe somewhere anyway? or was the just a rumor i heard somewhere?

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
Re: ??20v swap with stand alone engine managment into mk3?? (4-door crap rabbit)

quote:[HR][/HR]why would it be silly to run either n/a? you don't seem to think it's silly running a 16v n/a, and hell, a 20v has, (complex math here kids) roughly one more valve per cylinder than the 16v. don't they sell 20v's n/a in europe somewhere anyway? or was the just a rumor i heard somewhere?[HR][/HR]​
The NA 1.8 20V had a whopping 125 HP and was only used for a couple of years. The new 2L version used by Audi has 130 HP and this is with more sophisticated engine management than the 1.8 16V (139 HP in Europe) or the 2L 16V (ABF-150 HP in Europe) had. That is why we are saying that using it NA is not a good idea.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Re: ??20v swap with stand alone engine managment into mk3?? (mad dubber)

I would use an 020 trans., g60 flywheel, 228mm clutch. I am in the process of doing my 1.8t swap. I was highly recommended by several companies to use the factory computer, so I am going to. The stand alone sys. is quite expensive and will take many dyno hours to dial in at adl. cost. You could use that money to upgrade turbo, exh., cams, etc. The factory computer will do the job well.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts