VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I just got chipped about a week ago and its been great. I got the Garrett Chip for my Wolfsberg 1.8t but had a question. I've been running it fine (I think its version 5) and boost pressure on my boost gauge would peak about 18 psi averaging around 16-17 psi normally. This was how it was until yesterday. I came out of a cafe last night took off and saw my boost gauge go way into the 20-21 PSI range (averaging 18-19 PSI)!!! I did a few runs and same result! It pulled like crazy, but I can't imagine it being good on the engine. I haven't gone out today but I was wondering, Is this normal for the Garret Chip?? Whats the average PSI on Garret chips? I have no other modifications but a Forge DV. Everything else is stock. thanks for your help!
-Adrian

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 21 PSI on a GIAC Chip, this normal???? (Hapa88)

Opps didn't mean to make this a poll. . . hehee

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

Doesn't sound right to me. I have GIAC V.4, and it peaks up to 17-18 briefly then settles to 15-16. Now mine is an AWD engine, yours is an AWW, but 20-21 then 18-19 seems a little high.
Call the place that installed it, and if they can't help, contact Garrett Lim (the guy behind GIAC) at http://www.giacusa.com

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

Hi Adrian,
If we chipped your car we will gladly check it out for you.
Just call or email Joel or me (Jeff) and we can set it up.
Jeff

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Re: 21 PSI on a GIAC Chip, this normal???? (J. Moss)

My K03 awd with GIAC chip used to spike about 20 also.......

now with my K04 chip I see spikes of 23psi and it settles to 18-20psi till about 5000rpm then 15 at 6500...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

There can be quite a variance between "big boost" chips and also cars. The ECU takes a little time to learn the file. My previous chip would pull 23-24psi, but after a week, it settled to peaks of 19psi.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hey guys, thanks for the input. much appreciate. .. yeeah, I went out today and its still way up (I spiked at 23 PSI). I plan on calling you Jeff (I actually called you on Weds, but kept getting your Vmail). I think my diverter might be sticking. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Thanks again!
-Adrian

·
Registered
3,368 Posts

I use my boost gauge as a "REFERENCE" number only, I now only trust the numbers that come out of the VAG-COM. I've noticed difference 1-2psi from what I see on the gauge and what I log on the PC. Also the ECU looks at Pre TB pressure and gauge looks at manifold pressure (after TB.)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 21 PSI on a GIAC Chip, this normal???? (wolfsburg_de)

GREAT News! I figured out what is was, and it was exactly what WolfsburgDE said. My Forge was leaking. I ended up putting the stock one back on just to check to see if that would fix it, and it did. So I relubbed my Forge, stuck it back in and, sure enough, the boost is back to more reasonable levels! Thanks again guys!
-Adrian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts