VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking at new wheels for my 4motion AWD Atlas 2019. I’m going back and forth between 20, 21, or 22’s. I like the look of 22’s the most. I believe with 22’s you run 40 series tires. 21’s are 45 and 20’s are 50’s. Is there any negative effects to the drive train running 22’s over 20’s. Will the tire pressure sensors still work correctly with 21 or 22’s? I believe VW the only come stock with 18 or 20’s so wasn’t sure is there was any reason I shouldn’t go larger.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sel r lines come with 21" wheels 265/45/21 tires. I don't think TPMS will be an issue with 22s. negative
To answer your question about negative effects: the less rubber between the car and the road the harder it is on the suspension etc. Weight plays a big roll as well. But if you live in the area with good roads, or you are careful driver and avoid potholes you should be fine.
Also check out the "show me your Atlas with different wheels " thread.

Good luck 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sel r lines come with 21" wheels 265/45/21 tires. I don't think TPMS will be an issue with 22s. negative
To answer your question about negative effects: the less rubber between the car and the road the harder it is on the suspension etc. Weight plays a big roll as well. But if you live in the area with good roads, or you are careful driver and avoid potholes you should be fine.
Also check out the "show me your Atlas with different wheels " thread.

Good luck 👍
thanks for the reply! Yeah did some searching on that thread a good bit and didn’t see anything about the tire sensor. I think I will do 21” if the r line comes with those. Like staying as close to oem as possible just to avoid issues. Hard oem wheels to find used. Been doing a good bit of searching. Especially black. Anyone know a knock off or copy manufacture that is worth considering. I see some on eBay but I’m nervous they are poorly made.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pretty sure that the Atlas is still using the ABS system to determine tire pressure, they stopped using TPMS sensors in the wells some time ago.
Yup, a better system in the long run as there are no batteries to wear out or silly sensors to get broken when getting new tires installed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Personally I'd go with 17" or the smallest rim :) A better softer ride and better looking if you throw some mild A/T or offroad tires on it. With low profile tires, if you hit a sharp corner or pothole it's easier to break a rim or puncture a sidewall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts