VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I autocross and track on 240/40/18 slicks on 8.5 inch wide 5 x 100 BBS CH's with spacer's and I have no issues. I am running negative 1.75 degrees in the rear and nearly negative 3 degrees up front.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, aggressive camber! :)
Ok cool. Actually now that I checked the rule book I think I'll stay in ST because the cars that are allowed in STX are a bit more powerful than my measly wagon. I can't see myself doing well against Evo's, STI's, E36 M3's...... so 225's are gonna have to hold me down. :)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Goodluck! I used to track a MK4 wagon :screwy:

Exiting the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca :thumbup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have 245/40/17 A6s on my MK4 GLI. They're on stock size/offset wheels with stock springs.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I have 245/40/17 A6s on my MK4 GLI. They're on stock size/offset wheels with stock springs.
They must look a little balloonish, ya? That's maxing out a 7.5 inch wide wheel. Most 235's I've mounted to a 7.5 inch wheel is borderline.

·
Registered
179 Posts
They must look a little balloonish, ya? That's maxing out a 7.5 inch wide wheel. Most 235's I've mounted to a 7.5 inch wheel is borderline.
They're actually 7" wide...my 2002.5 GLI only had that option. I'll try to get a picture, but the A6 is so stiff, it's hard to tell. One thing is when I lay them flat, I don't have to worry about scratching my rims..haha. The wheels are Enkei OR52s.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
245's on a 7 inch wheel? :eek:

I would think you would start to loose performance at that point; even with a stiff sidewall, I would think the turn in would feel sloppy and numb.

·
Registered
930 Posts
That's pretty normal for R-comps on stock wheels. As he mentioned, A6's have a much stiffer sidewall than any ST tires, so common fitment rules don't always apply.

There's a guy on another forum selling a set of 15x6 SSR's with 225/45-15 A6's mounted. Those look a bit like baloons (according to TR, min rim is 6.5"), but apparently they work.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not only do Hoosiers have super stiff sidewalls, they also have a cantilevered bead that helps them mount better on the skinnier wheels.

I've run 225s on a 6" wide wheel on my stock class Miata and 285s on an 8" wide wheel on my RX8. They both worked great.

I'm running 255s on 17x9 wheels on my MK4, but I had to pull the hell out of the fenders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
235/45/18

anyone ever run 235/45/18?
Im looking at a great deal on a set of BBS's with brand new tires and am hoping this will fit on my 03 Jetta GLS with stock suspension

1 - 12 of 12 Posts