VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a 96 VR w/ 262 Cams and bsic other stuff. I recently came accross a 24V 6spd Transmission Good deal and was wondering if it would fit in my 12V......Jjst something to make my car different but it is something bigger than me to comprehend before i jump in this project. Any advice is good advice.....i want to but a lightened 13or10lbs flywheel but this might be a better investment. Guide me please. :beer::beer::beer:

· Registered
5,550 Posts
Ok i have a 96 VR w/ 262 Cams and bsic other stuff. I recently came accross a 24V 6spd Transmission Good deal and was wondering if it would fit in my 12V......Jjst something to make my car different but it is something bigger than me to comprehend before i jump in this project. Any advice is good advice.....i want to but a lightened 13or10lbs flywheel but this might be a better investment. Guide me please. :beer::beer::beer:
It will bolt up to the 12v vr with out a problem. However the mounts to the chassis will take some working. The o2m trans use a magnetic speed sensor so unless you swap a matching guage cluster in your mph will not register. thats my 2 cents

· Registered
4,663 Posts
It will bolt up to the 12v vr with out a problem. However the mounts to the chassis will take some working. The o2m trans use a magnetic speed sensor so unless you swap a matching guage cluster in your mph will not register. thats my 2 cents
There's a lot more to it than that. For example, you'll need new axles. Nater has done it, and it was quite a project. The only relevant thread I could find via our currently-brain-dead search is this one.

· Registered
5,550 Posts
There's a lot more to it than that. For example, you'll need new axles. Nater has done it, and it was quite a project. The only relevant thread I could find via our currently-brain-dead search is this one.
Ya that is what I was getting at. It physically will bolt right up to the motor, but getting it in the car is a whole new can of worms.

· Administrator
28,729 Posts
I didn't swap a matching guage cluster in and my speedo works perfectly. Just gotta mate up the wires coming out of the speed sensor to those in the harness. No biggie.

To the OP: Don't compare a lightened flywheel to an O2M swap. The swap might cost you over $3k! It may not....I had to source all of my parts along the way, with hardly any help...so I paid stealership prices. Plus I got a very very low mileage o2m. I never did add up what I paid for what. But the trans/shift box/etc was over $2k.

My build thread was lost in the new forum software but that will be searchable in about a week....keep an eye out for it then.

· Administrator
28,729 Posts
My build thread was lost in the new forum software but that will be searchable in about a week....keep an eye out for it then.

The thread can be seen now...it's in my profile. I'm sorry though, I have some hosting problems with my website that I haven't sorted yet so my pics don't work right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.