VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is RIDICULOUS ... after driving a brand new GLI at Aristocrat VW in Sanford, I was impressed with the new 24V VR6.
Recently I went to Classic and it seems like the GTI 24V sitting there is detuned. What kind of SHI T is this? How can VW do something like this? 2 IDENTICAL ENGINES perfoming different? VWVORTEX1 or someone that has the POWER to contact / talk directly with VWOA .... THIS IS SAD. I was thinking about buying the new 24V, but ......... well now I wont.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif for VW "great" QUALITY

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Re: 24V Buyers / Be Aware! (Senna 1.8T)

what do you mean "detuned"? can you elaborate on that?

·
Registered
10,076 Posts

There have been ECU and fuel pump issues with the 24V Jettas, it is possible that they did not fix the GTI's at the port.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: 24V Buyers / Be Aware! (VeeDubDriver)

What kind of ECU/fuel pump issues do you mean? I have had my GLI for about 2 weeks now, and I'd really like to know if I need to keep my eyes open for something. Any further info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Of course I can "elaborate"
The car SIMPLY SUCKS and feels SLOWER than ANY 1.8T. Especially on 1st/2nd gear. This is SAD ... hard to believe. Maybe it is the dealership (Classic is FAMOUS)
Talk about horror stories ... I have had 3 bad experiences with them already so at this point, it could be the dealership not giving a shi t about the car!!!!!!!!
I am impressed

- they didn't even test drive/compare GLI/GTI at the lot to see if both were the same ... this is just AMAZING how the dealer cares about the car and how well it would be on delivery (if im not mistaken, the car was sold already to an uninformed customer)
SHAME ON VW!
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
473 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Of course I can "elaborate"
The car SIMPLY SUCKS and feels SLOWER than ANY 1.8T. Especially on 1st/2nd gear. This is SAD ... hard to believe. Maybe it is the dealership (Classic is FAMOUS)
Talk about horror stories ... I have had 3 bad experiences with them already so at this point, it could be the dealership not giving a shi t about the car!!!!!!!!
I am impressed

- they didn't even test drive/compare GLI/GTI at the lot to see if both were the same ... this is just AMAZING how the dealer cares about the car and how well it would be on delivery (if im not mistaken, the car was sold already to an uninformed customer)
SHAME ON VW!
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif [HR][/HR]​
I have experienced this (as mentioned in other threads). My friend took it back to the dealer, raced it with another 24v, and his car lost by 1 car at 40mph or something like that, and kept getting pulled on. There are some really messed up 24v's out there.
And this race took place after the car had supposedly already received the new fuel pump and ecu update. It was serviced a month prior and labeled as fixed. Guess it wasn't really fixed.

[Modified by sjoback, 7:44 PM 6-3-2002]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I think that every car company produces its share of lemons, its the luck of the draw I guess. My first VW was a 95 GTI 8-valve, and its was horrible mechanically, and electronically. My second car was a 99 Jetta GLX, which was perfect in almost every way. It was quick, well put together, and was never in the shop, except for some minor stuff (glove compartment, cupholders etc..). I think its a matter of luck, but if it is feels crazy slow or "detuned", I would bring it back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: 24V Buyers / Be Aware! (RichieVR)

I've checked out the relevant threads on this issue, and since most of the problems have occurred with the auto 24-valvers, maybe some feedback on the new 6-speed will be of help to some of you. I've got about 2000 miles on my '02 Jetta GLI 24v, and I haven't experienced any of the problems related by others with the automatic/GLX engine. It runs and idles very smoothly, shifts great with no hesitation, and has all kinds of power everywhere in the rev band. I've been very impressed with the powertrain thus far, and I've been pushing it a little harder since I passed 1000 miles. The only stalling problems I have is when I don't get the revs up from a stop, and that's only because 1) Occasionally I'm a moron; and 2) The engine is so quiet that I have to look at the tach to see where it's revving at.
The only problem I've run into so far is apparently a very common one, and that's with the Monsoon Double-DIN radio (addressed in another topic, of course). Otherwise, the car has been great. So hopefully those with some apprehension about the 24v/6M combo should be put somewhat at ease. Time will tell, of course, once more of them get driven. But so far, so good!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: 24V Buyers / Be Aware! (BobbyTropics)

Glad to hear everything is well with yours. The only problem with mine so far was the air bag light stayed on. Fixed no prob. 600mi. so far and it runs better everyday!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Re: 24V Buyers / Be Aware! (BobbyTropics)

quote:[HR][/HR]I've checked out the relevant threads on this issue, and since most of the problems have occurred with the auto 24-valvers, maybe some feedback on the new 6-speed will be of help to some of you. I've got about 2000 miles on my '02 Jetta GLI 24v, and I haven't experienced any of the problems related by others with the automatic/GLX engine. It runs and idles very smoothly, shifts great with no hesitation, and has all kinds of power everywhere in the rev band. I've been very impressed with the powertrain thus far, and I've been pushing it a little harder since I passed 1000 miles. The only stalling problems I have is when I don't get the revs up from a stop, and that's only because 1) Occasionally I'm a moron; and 2) The engine is so quiet that I have to look at the tach to see where it's revving at.
The only problem I've run into so far is apparently a very common one, and that's with the Monsoon Double-DIN radio (addressed in another topic, of course). Otherwise, the car has been great. So hopefully those with some apprehension about the 24v/6M combo should be put somewhat at ease. Time will tell, of course, once more of them get driven. But so far, so good![HR][/HR]​
I've had my GLI for two days now and put about 560 or so kms on it. Today I spent about 2 hours driving steady on the twistiest roads you can possibly imagine. I'm still doing the break in period so I'm not getting crazy or anything but as far as power and handling goes I have no complaints.
I noticed the same thing about stalling. It's happend twice to me but it's exactly what you said...just not getting on the throttle from start or getting on it and then hesitating (I mean me hesitating). I know this is just part of getting used to the car.
Also, I'll add that my Monsoon system is not messed up like others have posted about (UKAUSSIE). I pulled my HU this morning and all the wires are in the right place.
The car is great. I couldn't be happier. I washed it for the first time today because I got lots of bugs and dust on it from the wild ride I took today but washing it was actually fun. I just have to source all the right cleaning products. Anyway, I'm getting off topic.....no problems with the car, tons of power, and I know once the breakin period is over there's gonna be a whole lot more fun in store.

[Modified by truckasaurus, 9:41 PM 6-4-2002]

·
Banned
5,813 Posts

So what's the deal?? Anyone here more about the problems/solutions/reasons?? Or is this just a runaway imagination from a few?

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Re: 24V Buyers / Be Aware! (Integrale)

Never buy the first year of a car, or any software with a '0' in the version.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Re: 24V Buyers / Be Aware! (FatSean)

Exactly my thoughts on this FatSean
Oh by the way I had the best experience in classic vw dealership (service ).

·
Banned
5,813 Posts
Re: 24V Buyers / Be Aware! (FatSean)

quote:[HR][/HR]Never buy the first year of a car, or any software with a '0' in the version.
[HR][/HR]​
It's not the first year the car has been out...the engine is identical to what has been out for at least 1-2 years in Europe...and in the Eurovan..doesn't seem like they had an issue.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Well....as happy as I am with my GLI, the check engine light came on and stayed on at 475 miles....taking it in this afternoon, hopefully they'll plug the computer into it and tell me it's either a hiccup or something simple like a wire or spark plug. When the light first came on the car did seem to be miss firing a bit. If you revved it in neutral to about 3500, when the revs came down you heard the "bop bop bop bop" from the exhaust as it was returning to idle. Since then, it seems to run fine. Still pulls like a frieght train. I really hope this isn't the spirit of my old Plymouth Neon coming back to haunt me

P.S. I also have had brain farts and stalled the car at lights. I don't consider this a problem with the car at all. My old neon was loud and had a cable clutch, I never looked at the tach cause it was so noisy. Once my feet get used to where they need to be to take off smooth every time, I'm sure I won't have to look at the tach every time.

[Modified by JohnnyQuest, 1:34 PM 6-10-2002]

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Re: 24V Buyers / Be Aware! (JohnnyQuest)

Just an update, talked to my service advisor. He told me he thinks that my engine light is on because I didn't tighten my gas cap tight enough (duh, I thought I did.....). Anyway, he told me that after 21 cycles of the starter, if there's no problem it will reset itself (good to know). He said to wait a few days, and if it's still on to make an appointment (currently 2 week waiting period
) I hope he's right and that's all it was. I just love this car and don't want to leave it there even a day.....
J

·
Registered
15 Posts

I picked up mine on Friday, and have driven about 300 miles. Works great, very fast, and handles great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts