VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im in the process of seriously considering the purchase of the schrick cams for our motors. However I might int he future go F/I. Do you guys think that the 264 cams are to aggressive for to be used in a F/I appplication? If so why is that? is it because the fueling sysytem would not be able to deal with the much CFM flowing? If this is the case would a simple fuel system upgrade cure this problem? I really want the instant gratification of cams at this point but plan to sometime down the road go F/I.

· Banned
1,299 Posts
Re: 264 cams and Forced induction??? (omeezy)

My argument is if you think about how much better honda vtec motors respond to FI than non-vtec motors, it doesn't seem like the mild schrick cams should matter too much.
ERiC

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Re: 264 cams and Forced induction??? (omeezy)

Quote, originally posted by omeezy »
Hey guys, Im in the process of seriously considering the purchase of the schrick cams for our motors. However I might int he future go F/I. Do you guys think that the 264 cams are to aggressive for to be used in a F/I appplication? If so why is that? is it because the fueling sysytem would not be able to deal with the much CFM flowing? If this is the case would a simple fuel system upgrade cure this problem? I really want the instant gratification of cams at this point but plan to sometime down the road go F/I.

Fuel is dictated by how much air you flow... it's clearing the exhaust gas and getting a good pure intake charge (void of exhaust)
that calls for overlap on NA builds. As you increase overlap, low end power suffers because the velocity of the intake does not drive out loitering exhaust gasses with the same efficiency as when running high RPM's.
To get maximum power (Volumetric Efficiency) you need to optimize valve overlap to work with the boost curve you plan on running.
Compared to a NA engine, FI engines do not need the same degree of valve overlap to evacuate spent exhaust gas. Depending on your boost curve, there will be a point when you start forcing fresh mixture out the exhaust port, thus losing VE.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.