VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i may be getting a 268 cam. NOspeed says 256 is the highest i should go w/ a 2.0 w/o getting a CEL.
WHY? and whats the solution?
should i go w/ a 268?
ive also heard of putting in stock corrado cams
...opinions on that?
help a brotha out.

Modified by jetta_man at 8:31 AM 10-22-2003

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Re: 268 cam? (jetta_man)

What year is your car? I'm assuming you mean Neuspeed 268 and not TT 268?
I have a HOR 270 which has more lift than the TT 268, and the cam doesn't throw a CEL - just everything else does.
Go with the TT 268....

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jetta_man »

anyone know about the corrado cam?

IIRC the Corrado cam is a 260 or G-grind or something. Either way go with the 268 or 266 from TT.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Re: 268 cam? (MikeBlaze)

i have the TT 266 in my car. i like it a lot. i may change to a 268 though. either way, you will throw CEL's no biggie though. there are some things that you will need to change though besides the cam. you should also get new valve springs and retainers. do you already have a chip????

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Re: 268 cam? (slomofo.)

Quote, originally posted by slomofo. »
i have the TT 266 in my car. i like it a lot. i may change to a 268 though. either way, you will throw CEL's no biggie though. there are some things that you will need to change though besides the cam. you should also get new valve springs and retainers. do you already have a chip????

Don't forget lifters....

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Re: 268 cam? (VW97Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by VW97Jetta »

Don't forget lifters....

you don't need lifters, but if you do go for new lifters, get the new TT lightweight models

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

i dont have a chip. i need to get one, and i guess have it burned for use w/ a cam.
thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

yeah, go with TT, and fork out the extra $$$ for the 268. All I hear from 266 owners is "I'm thinking of getting/I wish I had gotten the 268". It's a good idea replace your lifters, stockers are fine unless you're building a monster. You're going to need a dual spring conversion, I'd say, too, but talk to TT aboot that. Maybe simple HD springs will do.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

okay so i visited tttuning.com and fudge!
what sizes doi i need to get?
valve springs = size?
retainers =?
lifters=?
also, what kind of gains am i looking at (please excuse the newbe)?
ive heard around 10hp from the cam, but will lifters , springs etc raise the number?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jetta_man »
okay so i visited tttuning.com and fudge!
what sizes doi i need to get?
valve springs = size?
retainers =?
lifters=?
also, what kind of gains am i looking at (please excuse the newbe)?
ive heard around 10hp from the cam, but will lifters , springs etc raise the number?

Not really. Just email or call them, and ask em what you need. I'd just say stock retainers, unless you're really revving the crap outta your engine, like in a rally situation. Then get titanium. Probably about 10 hp on a stock car is right. Get headers/headwork, and an exhaust and it'll work wonders.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: 268 cam? (obvious510)

ive got a magnaflow cat back system right now, but ive been looking into headers and a hi flo cat.
-what kind of head work?
thanks a bunch guys, youre a huge help
and i figured id just get "newbe" commments

Modified by jetta_man at 6:15 AM 10-23-2003

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

Headwork would involve porting/polishing your head. A header is probably not necessary, unless you want to squeeze every last hp you possibly can out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: 268 cam? (obvious510)

So a header doesn't really do much for the 2.0 8v? i want to get the techtonics 4 to 1 i was expecting some good gains...

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by slomofo. »

you don't need lifters, but if you do go for new lifters, get the new TT lightweight models

You may not need them but a cam and lifters wear together over time. Not replacing lifters with a new cam can cause uneven contact of the cam w/ the lifters resulting in a loss in performance.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Re: 268 cam? (MikeBlaze)

my buddy had the tt266 before his roomie totalled it.

he's advising I get a 268, since it'll be lumpier anyway, and he still threw CE light with burned GIAC chip

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Re: 268 cam? (koston.)

i'm noticing that the obd1 cars aren't throwing CEL's as much as the obd2 cars. the only reason i went with a 266 is cuz i got it for free. i was actually going to go with a 260 because i didn't want to spend the $$ on valve springs, but i sold some stereo stuff and did it any way, glad i did

1 - 20 of 20 Posts