VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK having owned my Miata for about a year now, made several modifications and raced a bit with the SCCA. I thought it was time for a road trip. I will be updating this thread as I go and as I find free WiFi. We will (as in Dad and I) leave this Thursday morning and will return on the 18th of July. Sleeping in a two man tent and avoiding highways when ever possible. I am posting the main spots were are trying to hit on this trip but I can't for the life of me find a trip optimizer for the route. Also, is there not anything worth seeing in the great plains area? Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska are dead to me. I'm just driving through them. So, if anyone has any cool road suggestions or places to stop please let me know. Here is the basic route and what the stops are.

Mount Rushmore, South Dakota
Devils Tower, Wyoming
Custer State Park, SD
Needles Highway
Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument
Yellowstone National Park.
Beartooth Highway
Grand Teton National Park
Going-To-The-Sun Rd, Mt
West Glacier, Montana
Mt St Helens, , Washington
Mt Rainier National Park, Ashford, WA
Crater Lake National Park, Oregon
Leggett, CA (Beginning of the Coast Road)
Yosemite National Park, Ca
Las Vegas, NV
Hoover Dam, Lake Mead National Recreation Area, NV
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Arches national park Utah
Canyonlands Utah
Moab, Utah
Albuquerque, NM, USA (Family and a much needed shower at this point)
Hoover Al (Again Family)

The general problem I have is finding decent campsites along my route. Also there is nothing on my trip in the middle of the country. On the return leg between Albuquerque and Hoover I got nothing which is exactly the same as the going out leg between Irvington Ky (starting point) and Mount Rushmore. I don't know the western part of the country that well, so if I'm driving right by something that is NOT to be missed or if you want to offer up your couch for a night please let me know.
Pictures to come...shortly of the trusty steed and prep work.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Having taken a mediocre car to some of those places, you will absolutely LOVE having a Miata there. Best of luck with this trip. You're doing what I've been nagging my girlfriend to do with my Miata since I bought it :laugh: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If you've got the time, check out the Chief Joseph highway in Cody WY, just outside Yellowstone to the East... a super road for the Miata.

Sounds like a great trip, I got to some of those spots in my old golf many years ago... have fun!

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
we want pics and videos! make sure you pack a good camera or a gopro. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
man, I really want to do this some day. I know you'll have a blast, something you'll remember the rest of your life :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
If you decide you want to see Texas, come to Houston and I'll buy ya a beer and give you the tour.

A bit out of the way but it'll get you something in the "center" of the country

Same for Austin, as I'm there enough.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
make your way to NYC and i'll buy your first Brooklyn Slice! and if you want, we can visit Brennen & Carr (about 2 minutes away) where Adam Richmond from Man Vs Food goes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
34,865 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Me personally, having done almost every mile of the California coast, two thirds the Oregon coast, and a quarter of the Washington coast, I would strongly recommend taking Highway 1 all the way down to at least Morro Bay, CA before heading east.
A million times, this. :thumbup: :beer: :peace:

·
Registered
25,356 Posts
OK having owned my Miata for about a year now, made several modifications and raced a bit with the SCCA.
Did you do NASA? Because autox is not really racing.

Where did you NASA at, and how did you decide to get your license with SCCA?

Looks like a fun road trip!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Miata Prep! MREs stowed behind the seats. Enough food for 7 days for 2 men. One more duffel bag will be loaded into the trunk. Its going to be a full load. Clothing enough for 5 days in the bag, a two man tent, and two sleeping bags.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts