VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im lookin into getting 280mm rear rotors for my car but i can't seem to find them in 4 lug. does anyone know of a rotor that will work? i don't to use want adapters either.

this is the rear i mention
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_III--VR6_12v/Braking/Big_Brake_OEM/ES10958/

for the fronts does ecs have a 4 lug option? i see a lot of holes but are they 4x100?

this is the front i am talking about
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_III--VR6_12v/Braking/Big_Brake_OEM/ES518/

i will be calling ecs monday, but for the 2 days i want to see if i can get my questions answerd here

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:popcorn:

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
I'm pretty sure they used to have a 4-lug rear setup on their site. I don't see it anymore though.

As for the fronts, you have to have the 5-lug VR6 plus suspension to begin with, so the usual restrictions on 4-lug setups on plus suspension apply here.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
You can buy the 280mm 4x100 rear brake upgrade directly from Eurospec, no need to go through ECS - $350

http://eurospecsport.com/products/brakes/performance-brakes.htm

288mm is the largest off the shelf vw specific 4x100 front rotor I found when I was looking for mine. Eurospec sell this kit for $435

OR you can go a custom route, like I just finished for my car. Hope you don't mind me posting this here...

REARS: This fits under a 15" wheel, but may need a spacer to fit under a stock wheel.
I saw this idea on here for a 5x100 setup and figured out how to make it work with 4x100.

As i'm sure you know, the stock rear disk brake setup on mk2/3's uses a solid rotor/hub setup where the wheel bearings are part of the rotor. This means when replacing the rotor, you also have to re-pack the bearings and doesn't allow for much upsizing in 4x100.

Rear rotor

Rear caliper setup, without pads ;)

I had an idea to machine a set of bad rear rotors into hubs that would allow them to use a separate rotor setup, like the front.
My machinist helped me accomplish this.

He first machined off the rotor part of the assembly and then about 6mm off the face of the hub, which is the thickness of the rotor at the hub, so the rotor would sit at the same offset as stock.

I then tapped the hub to incorporate the rotor set screw

I already had a set of 11" g60 front rotors, I decided to use these for the rear. Not only are these a huge diameter upgrade from the stock 226mm, but they are also vented like the rear of a mk4 GLI/337 etc.

Since these are similar in size the the mk4 GLI/337, I bought a set of GLI calipers. Here you can see the size difference. The carriers aren't on the stock calipers, but the width difference can still be seen.

The GLI calipers on the 11" rotor did not bolt up directly to the stock mk2 axle stub. They sat about 1" further out so I made an adapter bracket out of 3/8" steel.

The rotor spins freely, but is a slightly off center so I will probably add some washer to the bracket to center the caliper on the rotor

After trimming the bracket to clear the rear axle, this is how it came out. Tapped for the axle stub and thru holes for the mk4 carrier.

Bolted up

Hub on

g60 rotor

And mk4 GLI caliper installed

Once I got it all to work, I had another friend make me up these adapters

FRONTS: This fits under a 15" wheel and only needed a 10mm spacer to clear the inside of a BBS RA.

Same machinist friend made me these adapters to use with the 11.3" Eurospec rotors and Porsche boxster non S front calipers

If you are interested in this setup, I can probably get my friend to make you the adapters.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wanna give you a big kiss! haha, no ****.

i have 16's and this is the reason i need to stop a little faster, i have 10.1's in the front and disc in the rear.

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
FV-QR

that rear set up is bad ass :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anymore?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would be interested in a set of the adapters. I can Make the rotors into hubs myself though. How much would you be looking for for them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts