VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is regarding VOLKSWAGENS only.
From what I've seen, you can take the 2.0L 8v from an A3 (NOT the weaker A4 8v) and turbo it.
Question is, can you use the exhaust manifold and turbo of a TDI as a direct bolt-on replacement? Or at least just the turbo, with a manifold from like ATP or something?
The TDI turbo is VNT, isn't it? If so, how do you obtain the signalling required from the ECU (of the A3 2L8v engine) to control its nozzle paddles?
Also, does that engine come with the oil jets under the pistons?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Re: 2L 8v + VNT turbo (cobalt)

>>Question is, can you use the exhaust manifold and turbo of a TDI as a direct bolt-on replacement? Or at least just the turbo, with a manifold from like ATP or something?<<
The turbine housing and exhaust manifold are one piece and the turbos is way undersized.
>>The TDI turbo is VNT, isn't it? If so, how do you obtain the signalling required from the ECU (of the A3 2L8v engine) to control its nozzle paddles?<<
It comes from a boost/vacuum line,it's not electronic.I'd recomend abandoning the idea,the TDI stuff is even worse than the TD stuff.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Re: 2L 8v + VNT turbo (Hardcore VW)

I doubt that the exhaust manifold and the turbine housing is one piece. I have a vnt made for vw sitting on my desk at work and the manifold is not part of it. But yes the variable vane nozzles are controlled by vacuum. The turbo is kinda small and the turbine housing isn't made for a gas powered engine. You may be able to use it if you run low boost. But it's not a good turbo for a gas powered engine.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Re: 2L 8v + VNT turbo (vwtoys)

quote:[HR][/HR]I doubt that the exhaust manifold and the turbine housing is one piece. I have a vnt made for vw sitting on my desk at work and the manifold is not part of it.[HR][/HR]​
The turbo in question was for a TDI,here's a picture,left to right,TS04,T04B,K03,and the useless TDI turbo/manifold in question.Sorry for the sucky pic,but you can clearly see the manifold/turbine housing are one piece,if not,I can take another one.I have a pretty good record of not posting BS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.