VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have that stupid problem with the 2nd gear grinding, and from what I know I believe it's the syncro. It doesnt grind if I double-clutch into 2nd. I know its a common problem with A3's. If I were to get it repaired, how much would it cost? Also I'm curious if there has been any recalls on it, because I don't want to pay too much on it. Thanks, any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: 2nd Gear Grind/Syncro Problem (Stabbing101)

This sounds a little unorthodox, but hear me out. Change your tranny fluid. Change it to Redline MTL. It's a $20 experiment, and it worked for my 200,000-mile GTI. Do that before pulling & dissecting your trans. Just my two cents here, but I'd hate to see a car come apart unless it really has to.
**edit, and shameless plug** http://www.germanautoparts.com - Redline MTL in stock @ $9.00 per quart; you need two.

[Modified by maximus_manx, 10:04 PM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
14,819 Posts

do you double clutch very quickly??
coz my 2nd doesn't grind, but it's the hardest gear to get into, and i've changed the fluid, it's got better, but i just want to get through the gears quickly and not screw up my tranny.
how exactly do you do it??

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 2nd Gear Grind/Syncro Problem (gotta_jet)

Ok heres how I do it:
Grinding Shift
----------
Clutch in
Shift straight from 1st to 2nd and GRRRRRRRR!
Clutch out

My Double Clutch
----------
Clutch in
1st to neutral
Clutch out
Clutch in
Neutral to 2nd
Clutch out
I have gotten pretty used to double clutching so i do it just as quick as a normal shift but I just get sick of having to do it every time! Im lookin for a fix so I can shift normally without problems such as grinding.
BTW, I though it was Redline MT90 not MTL????

·
Registered
6,429 Posts

·
Banned
22,490 Posts
Re: 2nd Gear Grind/Syncro Problem (Air_Cooled_Nut)

Grin Bear it either get the damn thing rebuilt or look for a 02J tranny the 020 sucks!!! with the 02J you'll go to a cable shifter linkage but the Tranny is stronger and the gear ratio is much better !

·
Registered
171 Posts

I had th esame problem:
1st I changed the fluid, and it solved the problem for a month then it cam back, and spread to other gears.
Your best bet is to change the synchro ASAP $150-$250, or procrastinate and be cheap, and in 6 months you'll need a whole new tranny $3500-$4000.
You make the decision, if I had to do it again, I would have changed the synchro.
Now I have a new tranny though.
CHANGE THE SYNCHRO...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.