VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to get a 2Y for $150 and was wondering what the primary differences are between the 2Y and the 9A...I plan on putting one of these in my mk3 jetta. I basically want something with closer gear ratios (obviously) so thats why i'm doing this anyway...Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2Y or 9A??? (turbodub)

which is higher (numerically lower), and what is it? I was planning on putting a .71 in anyway though...

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Re: 2Y or 9A??? (mk3dub)

The 2Y is a 16V transmission. It's got the larger, stronger input shaft and the larger, stronger intermediate shaft.
The 9A is an 8V transmission. It basically has the same gearing as the 2Y (fifth is slightly different, but not enough that you would notice). However, being an 8V transmission, it has the smaller input shaft and intermediate shaft.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Re: 2Y or 9A??? (Racer_X)

if its going in a A3 car use the 2Y then you can use the same clutch assembly and flywheel if you run the 9A you will need to convert to the A2 8v clutch assembly which is smaller and therefore not as strong. Run the 2Y.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 2Y or 9A??? (tenacious jett)

thanks for all your help guys. So $150 sounds like a good deal then? The seller says it was recently rebuilt...I remember I almost paid $150 for a 9A last summer, and if their differences are what you say they are, then it sounds like a good deal. with a total of only 75k on it, do you think I should buy it or keep looking?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

Sounds like a good deal, does it have a bolt kit? Why's he selling? Remember you can't tell many tranny problems until you drive it!!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 2Y or 9A??? (Ron P)

i don't think it has bolt kit, but I didn't ask yet. Either way, I'm hoping to put a LSD in it so...
Quote, originally posted by Ron P »
Sounds like a good deal, does it have a bolt kit? Why's he selling? Remember you can't tell many tranny problems until you drive it!!

and yeah, that's what's holding me back. With the exception of looking for play on the drive flanges and shifting through the gears there is not much I can do..
I'm gonna have him send me some pics of it before I committ myself to a roadtrip though...

·
Registered
5,656 Posts

If you don't buy the tranny let me know, I'm very interested

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Re: 2Y or 9A??? (turbodub)

Quote, originally posted by turbodub »
9a tranny is a 16v trans too! It has the big shaft

No, the 9A is the 8V close ratio transmission used in GTI's and Jetta GLI's from about 1985 to about 1989 (possibly longer).
It has the larger 100mm drive flanges (which might be what is confusing you), but the input shaft is the smaller 8V input shaft and the pinion shaft is the smaller 8V pinion shaft as well.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Re: 2Y or 9A??? (Racer_X)

i want a 2y tranny...it willbe rebuilt so as long as it can be rebuilt...i jsut bought the quaife diff 80% and a bolt kit for my stock tranny cause it is messing up, but if i can just get a 2y for about less tahn 250-300, i'll get it

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Re: 2Y or 9A??? (cptnsloni)

Quote, originally posted by cptnsloni »
i want a 2y tranny...it willbe rebuilt so as long as it can be rebuilt...i jsut bought the quaife diff 80% and a bolt kit for my stock tranny cause it is messing up, but if i can just get a 2y for about less tahn 250-300, i'll get it

I just bought an AGB which I believe is identical to the 2Y. The ratios are identical and so is the input shaft. Should bolt right up, will have it on in a few days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts