VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am entertaining the thought of picking up one of these in the somewhat near future. I know most people would prefer the sedan or avant to the cabrio, but for some reason i dont care. I would ultimately love to have the S4 Cabrio for both the 6spd and the V8, but unfortunately, they dont pop up too often and i'm concerned about the economy of the V8 (even tho there is one about the same distance away). I don't want the 1.8T for a few reasons.
I've found this one that is kind of close to me:
http://www.nordstromselectauto...=2202

that seems like a good deal, but i'm not really familiar with the 3.0. I've searched both here and on audizine for the maintenance on this engine, and found that the Timing Belt should be replaced around 70k-80k. Other than this, what kinds of problems or maintenance should be looked out for?
thanks.
nate

Modified by vdubjettaman at 11:44 AM 3-20-2009

·
Registered
349 Posts
Re: 3.0 V6 Cabrio (vdubjettaman)

looks like a good find, from what i know per the dlrshp and the audi company the timing belt for the v6 needs replacment at 105,000. thats what i was told lol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i just purchased an 04 3.0 cab. it serves a much different purpose than my a4, and man does it serve it well.
i absolutely love it. i got mine fully loaded, and it runs beautifully.
as for the timing belt, the dealership says 105k, but everyone i've talked to has said 75k. i think i'll stick to that. i did the timing belt on my 1.8t, so i have a bit of experience.
the only thing i don't like is the mileage compared to my 1.8t. that is expected, so i can't complain. it is a great highway cruiser though.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (PyroGlaze)

How many miles are on your cab? What kind of mileage are you getting? I currently have a 12v vr6 and average 18-30 city and highway, so I'm kind of used to those numbers, obviously depends on driving styles.
I really have no purpose for the back seats in my Jetta, I'm not hauling friends/kids/a lot of stuff around, but on occasion I do, so thats why i want the A4 and not the TT. Also, I don't see any cab's modded around here, so that is kind of a unique thing to see at shows, and I like the idea of standing out a bit. haha.
As for the Timing Belt, 75k is what I've come across searching too, but not sure on the particulars of how much it would cost to have it done, and how much it is to do it myself. I've never really messed around with the big maintenance parts, but can handle smaller stuff decently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: (vdubjettaman)

Make sure you check the condition of the top. Especially look close around the seam of the back window. I've read about numerous cases of the window seperating from the top and leaking. I've heard of some peoples windows actually falling out. A New top cost close to $1000 and thats not including installation. Also dont plan on modding the car. theres not much you can do other than wheels and suspension. the Bumpers are different than the sedans so Forget thinking about getting an s4 bumper or anything else. Goodluck with your search

·
Registered
207 Posts

I realize you're looking for an A4 and not an S4, but I can't help but see you're in Lancaster. I go to Millersville, and today on my way home from work I noticed that Imports of Lancaster has a black or dark blue (it was getting dark out) B6 S4.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i've got around 58k on my cab. as for mileage, i get around 24-26 highway if i'm normal. i might be able to squeeze out more, but i don't really care to.
however, as soon as i mash the pedal, mileage drops a ton. spirited driving takes much more than the 1.8t, as you can imagine.
as for the timing belt, ecs has kits that include everything you need. the basic kit is $320, the full out kit is $650. that should pretty much cover everything you need.
the timing belt on my 1.8t took me 9 hours, and i've heard normal ppl can get it done in 4. from what i've read this requires a little more time. i'd call around to see how much it is to get done, just to see what your working with.
you might want to hit up DW Garage. i think they're in richmond, RI, and i've heard a lot of good things about them. (401) 525-1264 is there number.
they're currently having a special for 1.8t timing belts, so you might be able to call and find out for the 3.0.

·
Registered
25,519 Posts
Re: (PyroGlaze)

I have an 04 3.0 cab, from what I can tell im missing the navigation as far as options go. I picked mine up with 44k on it 3years ago now has 97k. The safe range for t-belt job is 75-80k, I let mine ride till 96k. And I can say that any one who lets it go till 105k is asking for trouble, I was just being lazy and thats why I let it go so long. But its between a 7-10 hour job, to do a complete job including changing the seals. Quattrohaus here in Nwk, N.J. great place http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif . I get between 19 - 22 mpg never saw anywhere close to 24 even on extended highway trips. It def has it's quirks
, like stupid front seats that dont fold all the way flat
(some of us still have fights with the girlfreind and need a place to sleep)
Mine has been a warranty nightmare though and thank god for it being cpo, so far under warranty they've replaced
(2) p/s pump
(1) alternator
(1) driver seat motor for the up/down function
(1) steering wheel harness for buttons
(1) all upper control arms both sides
(3) coil packs and v/c gaskets
(2) airbag sensor's my seat and pass side
(2) o2 sensor's left bank
(1) coolant temp and oil pressure sensor
(1) reman transmisson
(1) r/s frnt hub and bearing
(1) r/s frnt brake hose (small metal line on caliper)
(2) shocks for top up and down
(1) brake lamp switch
(1) glove box lid (x-girl broke it)
(1) center arm rest cover (1 broke it)
(1) drive shafty / prop shaft whatever is the used these days..lol
(2) l and r rear abs sensor's
other than those things, it is a great car. Guess I got a bad one, but that being said, Id buy another in a heart beat, but id go for the s4 with the stick shift this time around....good luck on your search and the ladies dig it, single, married, young and old

edit:::::::: Local audi dealer...Riverside Audi quoted me $2,600 for a t-belt job
, I got it done with me getting the parts myself for under $1,300 give or take $50 bucks

Modified by SIR ANDROID184 at 2:50 PM 3-30-2009

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (SIR ANDROID184)

wow! so it looks like i'm definitely getting it cpo and pay the extra for warranty. I know audi's are generally speaking more expensive to fix/maintain than vw's, which is fine (they are more expensive car to begin with), but thinking about buying a vw without warranty isn't that crazy, but not with the audi.
what suspension are you on? cause that is something i'm definitely doing!

·
Registered
25,519 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vdubjettaman »
wow! so it looks like i'm definitely getting it cpo and pay the extra for warranty. I know audi's are generally speaking more expensive to fix/maintain than vw's, which is fine (they are more expensive car to begin with), but thinking about buying a vw without warranty isn't that crazy, but not with the audi.
what suspension are you on? cause that is something i'm definitely doing!

Well, I guess some of the problems people have with their vw's/audi's can be attributed to soul
. There are other people with b6's (cab,sedan,avant) that have never had any problems or very small ones, I fall into that 10% where everything fails and breaks. A glove box breaking is not a problem (thats mis use and abuse), p/s rack binding up while im driving is a problem. That being said every car has its flaws and even honda's go to the dealer we just dont hear about it as much. I would def get a cpo whatever it is your looking at, might be hard though to find a cpo b6, I dont like the b7's as much as mine. But the b7 has the cupholders in the right place
, thats the next mod on the audi. Paying the extra upfront for a cpo car is worth it, if nothing more then to get a loaner while yours is being fixed
As far as suspension goes the car is on h&r springs and bilstein sports, it rides stiffer then stock and has settled quiet a bit more then that pic, im not a happy camper..lol....at the time I said "well' im getting older, I wanna be a little low and dont wanna get under the car to lower or raise it"....kicked me right in the azz, I wish I had spent $1,200 on coils vs $620 on my spring shock setup.

Modified by SIR ANDROID184 at 9:53 PM 3-30-2009

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (SIR ANDROID184)

thanks for the info! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
The only suspension i'd do would be coilovers or bags. I have a problem with always putting my cars as low as they can possibly go and then i really start breaking stuff, so I'm thinking seriously about bagging it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts