VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have details on what is required to bold a non-FSI 3.2 head onto a 3.6 block? I know Eurospec Sports sells this config but I'm not looking for a turnkey, I'm looking to do it myself.

I found an older review article about their conversions which seems to indicate only the older 2.8 head needed modding for the 3.6 block, but it's not fully clear. I sent email to Eurospec and they basically said ship them the block and head and they'll make it work. :p

There has to be someone out in the Interwebs who's done this. Anyone?

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Seems like it would be easier to plug the injector ports in the head, modify the intake manifold for port fuel injection, and get some custom pistons and a custom ECU tune made up.

·
Registered
37,711 Posts
I had a custom intake manifold made, left the injectors in the head and am running standalone. Problem with the custom tune is that the 3.6 exhaust cam and adjuster is like the mk5 r32 with different vvt range. You may be able to use a mk4 cam and gear but I haven't tried. Otherwise it could be made to work.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked into it, lots of machining of the block and head. Buy both hg and overlay them, it will give you a feel for magnitude of the changes.
The gaskets don't tell the whole story. On the 3.2 the gaskets have smaller holes than the head, I assume to limit flow around the cooled longer runners. The only way to tell for certain is to have a 3.2 head AND a 3.6 block and possibly both gaskets.

The only article I read on the swap said the old 2.8head/3.6 block took lots of machining, but the 3.2H/3.6B did not. Eurospec said they could do the head work AND that it was 'reversible'. But I've yet to find actual details of the work involved or even pics of the block/head side by side.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gaskets don't tell the whole story. On the 3.2 the gaskets have smaller holes than the head, I assume to limit flow around the cooled longer runners. The only way to tell for certain is to have a 3.2 head AND a 3.6 block and possibly both gaskets.

The only article I read on the swap said the old 2.8head/3.6 block took lots of machining, but the 3.2H/3.6B did not. Eurospec said they could do the head work AND that it was 'reversible'. But I've yet to find actual details of the work involved or even pics of the block/head side by side.
Nothing? I can't find any details anywhere, other than the unhelpful, "it's hard."

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gaskets show exactly how hard it is for the layman. The rest the machine shop needs to deal with.
Sorry, but I disagree. The 3.2 gasket isn't even an exact hole-to-hole lineup on the 3.2 head. So please, I'm not asking if it's hard. Or even want a count of people who believe it is hard. I'd like to find out who has done it and what is required.

·
Administrator
87,858 Posts
Sorry, but I disagree. The 3.2 gasket isn't even an exact hole-to-hole lineup on the 3.2 head. So please, I'm not asking if it's hard. Or even want a count of people who believe it is hard. I'd like to find out who has done it and what is required.
How do you disagree? You are the original poster who is asking the question. Paul has a crap ton of experience with this sort of thing, which is much more than you do at this point in time. Please don't alienate those who are actually trying to help you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How do you disagree? You are the original poster who is asking the question. Paul has a crap ton of experience with this sort of thing, which is much more than you do at this point in time. Please don't alienate those who are actually trying to help you. :thumbup:
Saying "it's hard" doesn't help at all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts